PDA

View Full Version : Discounted Tyres?

Peter_
14-06-2009, 10:13
I was looking for some new tyres for my car and came across this website which gave me a saving of around 20% including full fitting and wheel balancing, so I thought I would post the website.

Tyre Shopper Linky;)

Acathla
14-06-2009, 10:15
That's one heck of a long link - try http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk instead ;)

Nidge
14-06-2009, 10:16
Watch what sort of tyres they are selling, these budget range are a waste of money, you spend £40 on a tyre that's going to last you a few months, spend that little bit extra and get a branded tyre that's going to last you twice as long and going to give you that bit of extra safety when you are travelling. I always use Dunlop or Continental tyres.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 10:19
Watch what sort of tyres they are selling, these budget range are a waste of money, you spend £40 on a tyre that's going to last you a few months, spend that little bit extra and get a branded tyre that's going to last you twice as long and going to give you that bit of extra safety when you are travelling. I always use Dunlop or Continental tyres.

Mine are from a National tyre centre and they show all brands, its a bit like pricerunner.

AndyCambs
14-06-2009, 10:23
I've tried BlackCircles.com before - and overall price is pretty competitive.

Kymmy
14-06-2009, 10:30
We always used to stick to Conti's, Bridgestones and even considered Dunlops as a mid-range tyre..

Lately though we've noticed that the mid range has been joined by a few brands that are actually extremely good.. One in particular is NanKang and we put a set of Nankang NS-2's on the volvo T5 and gawd do they stick to the road and are excellent in the wet.. Also seem to be wearing really well even with high loading

A good price of £140 for the full set delivered from eBay..

Peter_
14-06-2009, 10:31
I've tried BlackCircles.com before - and overall price is pretty competitive.
They all help, the more the merrier.

Nidge
15-06-2009, 05:10
We always used to stick to Conti's, Bridgestones and even considered Dunlops as a mid-range tyre..

Lately though we've noticed that the mid range has been joined by a few brands that are actually extremely good.. One in particular is NanKang and we put a set of Nankang NS-2's on the volvo T5 and gawd do they stick to the road and are excellent in the wet.. Also seem to be wearing really well even with high loading

A good price of £140 for the full set delivered from eBay..

I used Nankangs a few years ago and I got a massive amount of mileage out of them and they stuck to the road like glue. When I went back to the tyre place I asked them if they'd got any Nankangs left? He said no we've stopped selling them. They don't sell tyres that do a massive amount of mileage do they?

Kymmy
15-06-2009, 08:37
We got ours from eBay ;)

Graham M
15-06-2009, 08:46
Cheap Tyres = False Economy, remember, a decent set of tyres COULD save your life :) After all, they're what hold you on the road!

Peter_
15-06-2009, 08:51
Cheap Tyres = False Economy, remember, a decent set of tyres COULD save your life :) After all, they're what hold you on the road!
They are not cheap tyres in that respect they are branded tyres from mainstream tyre companies, mine are from National Tyres but with 20% off the price in my case.

Graham M
15-06-2009, 08:52
Discounted might be a better description then :)

Kymmy
15-06-2009, 09:40
It very much depends on what you count as cheap... Someone who's used to buying Bridgestones might think Nankangs are cheap, yet a lot of car companies now fit them as standard on new cars... and as such is the preffered tyre for that car.. (in some countries you can't put on any other tyre apart from the manufacturers recomended)

If we totally went safety concious/mad then we'd all be spending £1000 a year on run-flats which isn't really practical..

My advice is to shop around, avoid remoulds (especially low profile ones) and search around for some reviews before you purchase a particular brand of tyre

Peter_
15-06-2009, 19:23
Discounted might be a better description then :)
Yes I think I misnamed this thread and gives the wrong signals, any chance of a renaming or should I PM a moderator.:dunce:

Nidge
16-06-2009, 04:20
With regard to the safety issue with tyres when I was on the Taxis I used to get through tyres like a man possessed, I could tell the difference if I had a budget brand on, I could tell the difference with the stopping distance, road handling and cornering and most of all mileage. If I had a branded tyre everything got better even the mileage and most of all the stopping distance was shortened.

Always go with a branded tyre.