PDA

View Full Version : ip changes

spoonie
14-06-2009, 09:26
im having this problem for just over a week now, my ip seems to change at least once a day usually only the last 2 digits is they anything in my settings to avoid this from happening all the time?

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:30
im having this problem for just over a week now, my ip seems to change at least once a day usually only the last 2 digits is they anything in my settings to avoid this from happening all the time?
That will only happen if you are constantly rebooting your modem or just switching it off overnight and possibly high volumes of customers in your area doing the same as yourself.

Try leaving the modem switched on overnight.

Chris
14-06-2009, 09:31
You can't stop it. Dynamic IPs are part of your service. It's unusual for it to change that often although it shouldn't do your service any harm. Are you trying to run a webserver or something?

Cobbydaler
14-06-2009, 09:34
My IP had been unchanged for more than a year. Over the last few weeks though it's changed half a dozen times...

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:34
You can't stop it. Dynamic IPs are part of your service. It's unusual for it to change that often although it shouldn't do your service any harm. Are you trying to run a webserver or something?
If his area is not heavily subscribed then he should get the old IP back in most cases but as the customer base builds up its a case of first to switch on gets the IP.

Chris
14-06-2009, 09:35
IIRC re-segmentation of your UBR causes your IP to shift. Maybe they're up to something, and experimenting with its settings?

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:36
IIRC re-segmentation of your UBR causes your IP to shift. Maybe they're up to something, and experimenting with its settings?
Could be fitting some 50Mb equipment in his area.

spoonie
14-06-2009, 09:38
i never turn my pc or modem off ..... trying to run a chat server which requires my ip to run

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:39
i never turn my pc or modem off ..... trying to run a chat server which requires my ip to run
Probably more alongs the lines of what Chris said then.

Chris
14-06-2009, 09:40
Domestic broadband services generally aren't designed to allow you to run servers from home. There are ways and means of doing it (aren't there always) but you have to accept that you can only do it via a workaround.

spoonie
14-06-2009, 09:41
and in plain english LOL

Chris
14-06-2009, 09:44
I'm googling right now - basically what you need is to subscribe to a service that can track your IP address as it changes, and ensure that web traffic can still find your chat service even after the change.

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Something like this, I believe: http://www.dyndns.com/

spoonie
14-06-2009, 09:49
yes they is also no-ip.com also, but my chat will only work with only numbers and not letters (damn thing lol) and it is only chat so i shouldn't see that being a problem surely??

Peter_
14-06-2009, 10:16
yes they is also no-ip.com also, but my chat will only work with only numbers and not letters (damn thing lol) and it is only chat so i shouldn't see that being a problem surely??
If you are a Virgin customer ry setting a proxy details found here.Proxy link.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34773822-post18.html

Welshchris
14-06-2009, 12:02
im having massive problems at the moment with my router dropping out looking for a new IP twice a day even though ive set it for a static IP. I even borrowed a friends router whos connection it works fine on and its doing the same thing on mine and its driving me mad!

spoonie
14-06-2009, 13:00
If you are a Virgin customer ry setting a proxy details found here.Proxy link.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34773822-post18.html

think ur barking up the wrong tree ....

i host a program chat not webserver, if you want the program pm for the link and you may understand why i need the ip not to change twice a day lol

Peter_
14-06-2009, 13:35

i host a program chat not webserver, if you want the program pm for the link and you may understand why i need the ip not to change twice a day lol
Just trying to think of ways around your strange issue.;)

Chris
14-06-2009, 13:38

And you're arguing over the number of angels you can fit on a pinhead. ;)

It doesn't make any difference why you want a static IP, the fact is you cannot have one on Virgin Media.

spoonie
14-06-2009, 13:57
whos arguing? .... just wondered if they was anything can do for an ip change 2 times a day , you guys no more about issues like this more than me :)

Peter_
14-06-2009, 14:07
whos arguing? .... just wondered if they was anything can do for an ip change 2 times a day , you guys no more about issues like this more than me :)
Cannot think of anything that would cause your IP to change while you are online, the proxy was just a possible workaround.

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 14:08
That will only happen if you are constantly rebooting your modem or just switching it off overnight and possibly high volumes of customers in your area doing the same as yourself.

Try leaving the modem switched on overnight.

is it safe to leave your modem on over night?

Kymmy
14-06-2009, 14:08
Which chat program are you using? If it's a simple IRC server then I don't see the issue with using a FQDN instead of the IP which means you can use no-ip or DynDNS..

To get though a fixed IP via VM (well actually NTL/Telewest)it's a minumum of £30 a month for 4Mb business line (with installation fees anywhere from £60 to £160 (that includes your 1 or 5 fixed IP's)

spoonie
14-06-2009, 14:21
i really not bothered about fixed ip but changes ip every day isnt necessary and becoming annoying and concerned as it shouldn't really be happening.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 15:19
is it safe to leave your modem on over night?
Yes perfectly safe, some never switch them off for months.