PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Disconnection

Will_Arvi
14-06-2009, 00:29
Hello one and all :)

For the past few months now my household has had to put up with rather random disconnections, where the net will be lost for 30~ seconds and then come back up of it's own accord, or we have to reboot the modem from it's website, or unplug and replug the modem which I hear doesn't help, between the hours of 7pm-11pm (mostly) with the odd d/c at other times but much less prominently. As well as this, we've also started having major lagging on the network, World of Warcraft displays a ms of 1500 sometimes, and this can last for between 5 minutes to however long it wants. (very, very high, most other people play between 27-150ms).

The amount of times we've called VM tech support and had tests run on our line with different equipment plugged / unplugged or in different sockets has become uncountable. They say our line is now "quicker"(?), yet our lag issues have only started to arise since they said this, and our internet - despite dropping out - runs pretty quickly when it's up.

We're on a 5MPB/s connection I believe as the modem displays a Downstream Rate of 4.8k MPB/s at best, and 3.3k at peak times. We've noticed when the connection drops the internet light on the modem goes out, every light on the router/modem other than this stays on. Also, on the modems website, the DSL status says down, as does the PVC status.

Browsing around other people with a similar problem, I stumbled across this information:

"Downstream Receive Power: Ideally +/- 3dBmV"

and noticed that our Downstream Transmit Power: 21, perhaps this is the issue?

We've tried 3 different microfilters, we've tried different sockets, we went to plug-in ethernet adapters instead of wireless (which did boost speed), and everything else that is usually tried in relation to an intermittent disconnection. The only thing to note was that when we don't have the phones connected, the internet runs a) a lot faster, loses all the lag we've been having of late, and b) doesn't disconnect in those peak times.

That's about all I can think of to mention for now, feel free to ask for more modem/router information, I've checked to see if they're compatible and they are, so.. will wait for a response :)

Thanks in advance!

edit: we've called a local tech shop, filled them in on what we've tried and changed, and they said our own setup is 100% fine, and that it's an issue your end..

graf_von_anonym
14-06-2009, 02:08
ADSL, aye?

Will_Arvi
14-06-2009, 12:48
Yep, all of our stuff is also ADSL+2 compatible.

Will_Arvi
14-06-2009, 22:30
still horrendously laggy tonight just because my sister has youtube up. Who knows of a connection so weak it can't even support youtube without the other computers in the house having severe lag, connection timeouts and even disconnections..

graf_von_anonym
15-06-2009, 00:32
It will be noise somewhere along the line, I suspect, but it's been ages since I've done anything with ADSL so I cannot readily point you to a thing.

Will_Arvi
15-06-2009, 01:10
As I mentioned, when we took out the phone line for a day, and plugged the internet into the master socket, the net was a lot faster, and had no disconnections.

My question is though, how do we resolve this? Do we need to get a BT guy in? The odd thing is the problem started very suddenly, perhaps because BT rolled out something new in my area (they've been doing work locally for a while), and why is it so much more common at night?