PDA

View Full Version : twin connection

kevings
13-06-2009, 19:58
hi just a quick question, can two broadband modems be connected and used at the same time with virgin?

Raistlin
13-06-2009, 20:02
As I understand it you would need two separate feeds to the house, one for each modem.

I don't know if VM will service more than one feed per address though. One of our resident VM wonder kids will be able to let you know if that's the case.

If your question was actually 'can two broadband modems be connected to the same feed' then the answer is (probably) no.

kevings
13-06-2009, 20:08
As I understand it you would need two separate feeds to the house, one for each modem.

I don't know if VM will service more than one feed per address though. One of our resident VM wonder kids will be able to let you know if that's the case.

If your question was actually 'can two broadband modems be connected to the same feed' then the answer is (probably) no.

thanks what is in my house, is a tv connection that i have been told if i put a splitter on will still feed tv. And other split can go to modem, plus dedicated Internet feed

Axegrinder
13-06-2009, 20:11
What do you mean by "dedicated internet feed"?

Peter_
13-06-2009, 20:15
hi just a quick question, can two broadband modems be connected and used at the same time with virgin?
Only one modem per property is allowed and if you are thinking of connecting a modem you acquired elsewhere then you are asking advice for help with something that is illegal and not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

If you want more than 1 connection then use a router.

kevings
13-06-2009, 20:18
What do you mean by "dedicated internet feed"?

i mean this feed is only used for Internet, the feed for tv is downstairs and the feed for computers are upstairs, but both feeds still come from little box on outside of house maybe i am wrong? not really that technical that's why i asked the question

Peter_
13-06-2009, 20:19
i mean this feed is only used for Internet, the feed for tv is downstairs and the feed for computers are upstairs, but both feeds still come from little box on outside of house maybe i am wrong? not really that technical that's why i asked the question
The answer is in my post above.

LaineY
13-06-2009, 21:19
Yeah defo.

Only 1 modem per household..
and modems purchased/aquired elsewhere will get you a contract termination and most likely a jail term.

The PIT
13-06-2009, 22:35

mmm three internet connections. haven't heard of a router that can do that. You can put put three Ethernet cards in a machine so yes in theory.

gep
13-06-2009, 23:01
Hello, just discovered having two computer, attached both computers to wi-fi with the NTL cable modem attached to the router, can now go online broadband on both at the same time.

GEP

popper
13-06-2009, 23:53

i notice theres wrong assumptions galore on this subject yet again.... so.

talking about bonding two broadband modems here is NOT against the rules.

and there is NO possability of any jail term involved if your paying for your second broadband connections and *DSL Broadband modem purchased/aquired elsewhere :rolleyes:

the answer to your question is YES... you can run more than one broadband modem as totally seperate connections to each device/PC, or you can combine several of them into one larger virtual connection, its called "bonding" but remember, your paying high costs for several connections at once so be sure you want it.... and understand how it works as your the one setting it up and supporting it as no known ISP will officially help you there, is my advice....

but, today VM no longer allow for more than one single CABLE modem per account as the pre VM did so you probably cant get two or more cable modems officially.

but then, you didnt actually say you wanted to use a second cable modem :angel:, mearly a broadband modem, and that can be a DSL broadband modem as your second bonded connection.

seriously though, from your POV, as a not very techy reader i assume ?, if your not one of the old C&W/NTL customers that had two modems officially already then you cant get more than one single cable modem from VM.

as their new accounting software doesnt allow for letting you pay them more long term cash for a 2nd or 3rd CM , no matter how much you might want to, doh!

non the less, you can for instance take out a BT line or several if you like, you pay BT or a 3rd party , they will install and activate as many *DSL broadband modem lines as you require unlike Virgin media and the only a single cable modem problem today :angel:

you can put a broadband modem ,DSL in that case, on there, and connect it directly to a second PC , or "Bonding" dual router if you prefer and get a virtual faster connection if you set it up right....

if you were techy inclind, you could also put several ethernet cards inside an old PC and run a liveCD thats setup as a bonding router if you want it cheaper or get more powerful and controllable bonded routing compaired to the cheapest stand alone bonding routers today....

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

for cable you dont need two separate feeds to the house, they could just split it, as they do for more than a single STB etc....

Obviously for several DSL connections you would need seperate phoneline feeds, they usually use seperate strands of the multicore twisted pair phoneline wire before putting in a brand new line to save costs OC.

read and ask dragon (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/2564.html)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19/33648985-recommend-me-a-router-20mb-connection-page-2.html#post34783314

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

mmm three internet connections. haven't heard of a router that can do that. You can put three Ethernet cards in a machine so yes in theory.

3 or more ethernet PCI/USB2 etc if you like and run something like this for instance

http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/

http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-2B-Board-3-LAN-3-MINI-PCI_4

http://wiki.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/RouterStation
"
RouterStation Software Specs

RouterStation ships with OpenWRT Kamikaze. Ubiquiti only provides limited support for the software, but full support for the hardware.

All documentation for the use of OpenWRT can be found at the following website:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/docs/openwrt.html
Please look forward to a quick setup guide for a single radio setup.
"

---------- Post added at 23:53 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Hello, just discovered having two computer, attached both computers to wi-fi with the NTL cable modem attached to the router, can now go online broadband on both at the same time.

GEP
great , as an alternative, or as well as, you can also wire them or other PC devices such as a PS3/360 NAS etc, in to the 4 spare RJ45 ethernet LAN connects found in routers today too, buy and use straight ethernet rj45....

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 00:08
but, today VM no longer allow for more than one single CABLE modem per account as the pre VM did so you probably cant get two or more cable modems officially.

do they only allow one account per household?
At least 3 times in my life ive shared a house with stranges 1 house one address but 3 seperate residents

BenMcr
14-06-2009, 00:12
Yes - since last May last year

At least 3 times in my life ive shared a house with stranges 1 house one address but 3 seperate residents
Which is likely to have been before last year ;)

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 00:14
well yes and it does not effect me in any way however it seems a strange business policy is it to avoid contention? its like me saying to a family who wants 3 pcs 1 for the parents and 2 for the kids that I am only prepared to offer a service to one member of the family

popper
14-06-2009, 00:18

apparenty officially you cant today, the new accounting software doesnt allow for it as the executive signing it off didnt think to stipulate that as a VERY basic requirement of the new SW....:rolleyes:

you can still probably find a sales team member that can fudge something and con the accounting SW into thinking theres several addresses at the one real address but not officially.

and some jobswerth will find it one day, and pull you about it as is always the case, ignoring the extra cash they are taking from you OC...

BenMcr
14-06-2009, 01:00
well yes and it does not effect me in any way however it seems a strange business policy is it to avoid contention? its like me saying to a family who wants 3 pcs 1 for the parents and 2 for the kids that I am only prepared to offer a service to one member of the family
And that is what routers and 50Mbit are for

Welshchris
14-06-2009, 01:06
Only one modem per property is allowed and if you are thinking of connecting a modem you acquired elsewhere then you are asking advice for help with something that is illegal and not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

If you want more than 1 connection then use a router.

i have to say that ur wrong here, when i was living at home my dad and myself had our own modems on seperate accounts at the house. My dads was downstairs and mine was in my room.

BenMcr
14-06-2009, 01:14
And when was that? I'm guessing before May 2008 - which for the second time on this thread (and god knows how many times before) was when the policy changed for all customers

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 01:24

Ok I will alter my analogy to fit.

A guy in a shared house asks for a pc and the other tenants ask and I say ill only sort out the first guy and not the others.

As for 50 meg and routers yes but there are situations this will not work. Not everyone in shared accommodation get on

popper
14-06-2009, 01:27

Nope, the official 11g/11n routers as supplyed by VM are for routing several LAN connected devices/PCs to an official SINGLE VM WAN connection.

and everyone knows 50Mbit is really only for getting a SLIGHTLY better UPLOAD rate. :p:

so your family can finally use several of these LAN connected devices/PCs to the single VM WAN connection without so much upload battle necking and killing your gaming and video streaming when the winds blowing in the right direction on a tuesday at 9.09 Pm GMT for an hour or two :angel:

a 2nd or 3rd CM on the account would instantly cure that bottle neck upload problem (providing you reseg that section of the network properly OC), make the customers happyer, and make VM some more new profits without any significant outlay as the kits already payed for and installed or laying around somewere unused.

slap that executive, re-write the accounting SW ASAP yet again, and let us officially rent two or more BB CMs and then your talking.... :sleep:

some people do and will actually WANT TO GIVE VM SOME MORE CM MONEY every month, but you dont let us officially.

remember ALL those perfectly good DS2 modems sat inside every single one of the active STBs today , their fully powered, already provisioned, and connected to the existing UBRs, they were good enough for C&W to officially use and make CM BB profit from (and they did upto last month, people around here i know, were useing them and they tell me they dont like the stand alones).

but the VM executives also removed/forgot that option from the new accounting SW for no good reason for used on a lower/mid range speed tear, and dont allow that STB CM use any more eather.....

BenMcr
14-06-2009, 01:37
Nope, the official 11g/11n routers as supplyed by VM are for routing several LAN connected devices/PCs to an official SINGLE VM WAN connection.
Yes it is - which for 99% of requests for multiple connections is exactly what people are after

and everyone knows 50Mbit is really only for getting a SLIGHTLY better UPLOAD rate. :p:
And there was me thinking it was for better download connections.

so your family can finally use several of these LAN connected devices/PCs to the single VM WAN connection without so much battlenecking and killing your gaming and video streaming when the winds blowing in the right direction on a tuesday at 9.09 Pm GMT for an hour or two :angel:
My household seems to have no issues streaming video to mutiple PCs through a router on a 10Mbit connection, so why would 50Mbit have a problem?

slap that executive, re-write the accounting SW ASAP yet again, and let us officially rent two or more BB CMs and then your talking.... :sleep:
Well that isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I can't see an over-riding reason why they should. On the balance of cost vs revenue it isn't worth doing

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 01:41
Yes it is - which for 99% of requests for multiple connections is exactly what people are after

And there was me thinking it was for better download connections.

My household seems to have no issues streaming video to mutiple PCs through a router on a 10Mbit connection, so why would 50Mbit have a problem?

Well that isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I can't see an over-riding reason why they should. On the balance of cost vs revenue it isn't worth doing

They did it though when did you say oh yes May 08. They implemented a new software which cut out a whole customer base. I have no idea how many customers VM have lost doing this but imo it just goes to show that VM appear to not have a clue about making money.
No successful business turns potential profit away. I believe you work for VM Ben I hope they pay you enough as you seem to be one of few that are prepared to champion these cowboys. :)

Welshchris
14-06-2009, 01:43
And when was that? I'm guessing before May 2008 - which for the second time on this thread (and god knows how many times before) was when the policy changed for all customers

u can still now get it, trust me i only moved from a high student area in Swansea last November and the ammount of people there who had more than 1 modem to a house was quite a few.

BenMcr
14-06-2009, 01:55
They did it though when did you say oh yes May 08. They implemented a new software which cut out a whole customer base.Which is a tiny percentage of the entire customer base.

And multiple modems were NEVER an official product under ntl - the only reason it happened was due to lax systems control in the first place and greedy Sales agents getting commision for setting up 'new' accounts
I have no idea how many customers VM have lost doing this but imo it just goes to show that VM appear to not have a clue about making money.Again, it would be down to a cost/revenue decision. It is also down to being able to predict usage.

If the company allowed multiple modems per address as company policy, there would be no sensible way to predict the capacity requirements for an area (and the cost of that capacity). With one modem per registered address, it is a lot easier to plan and build
No successful business turns potential profit away.And who said they would make any profit from multiple modems? It isn't like multiple STBs or even multiple phonelines. The economics are entirely different.
I believe you work for VM Ben I hope they pay you enough as you seem to be one of few that are prepared to champion these cowboys. :)
Instead of you and others which seem to consider any business decision that you don't like as being 'cowboys' or any other expletive under the Sun.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

u can still now get it, trust me i only moved from a high student area in Swansea last November and the ammount of people there who had more than 1 modem to a house was quite a few.
And that will down to historical address records created BEFORE May 2008 - which are in the process of being closed down.

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 08:51
Which is a tiny percentage of the entire customer base.

And multiple modems were NEVER an official product under ntl - the only reason it happened was due to lax systems control in the first place and greedy Sales agents getting commision for setting up 'new' accounts
Again, it would be down to a cost/revenue decision. It is also down to being able to predict usage.

If the company allowed multiple modems per address as company policy, there would be no sensible way to predict the capacity requirements for an area (and the cost of that capacity). With one modem per registered address, it is a lot easier to plan and build
And who said they would make any profit from multiple modems? It isn't like multiple STBs or even multiple phonelines. The economics are entirely different.

Instead of you and others which seem to consider any business decision that you don't like as being 'cowboys' or any other expletive under the Sun.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

And that will down to historical address records created BEFORE May 2008 - which are in the process of being closed down.

we are on a heavily edged VM forum we get to hear a lo of horror stories and I have been a Comtel NTL VM customer for quite some time. What I see here is an instance where VM make a decision that does cut potential customers but I see other instances where VM cram so many BB customers into one area that no one there gets anything like what they are paying for.

If you look back quite a way now I to used to back VM up on decisions others didnt like ie STM but as time went by and they got tighter they lost my support( not that it would bother them) Its good that you like the company you work for I spose but the irony of you not using any of their services does not escape me

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:27
but the irony of you not using any of their services does not escape me
Ben cannot get Virgin services due to not living in a provisioned area, I on the other hand have been a long term customer going back to 1994 when they installed it in my road well before I started work with the company which now has the sdded benefit that I receive the Staff Package.

Now back to the thread topic.;)

Allowing only one modem per property is a business decision and out of our hands so not really worth arguing about.

Everyone who has a modem can also purchase a wired or wireless router, so in most cases connection issues are easily solved.

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 09:33
I thought we were discussing it on a forum? if we didnt discuss things that are out of our hands then this would be a very quiet place

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:35
I thought we were discussing it on a forum? if we didnt discuss things that are out of our hands then this would be a very quiet place
I discussed both and put a wink in as well Zing:D

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 09:46
not after

Allowing only one modem per property is a business decision and out of our hands so not really worth arguing about.

you didnt ;)

I have been lucky with VM up until now but after 2 weeks of problems and all I am getting is "network fault" from some Indian guy who I struggle to understand kinda wears thin ;)

There are loads of examples on this forum about VM's poor business practices I personally do not care if they allow 1 2 or 1000 modems onto an account as long as it dont create an over subbed system

There is certainly mixed opinion from VM staff about the firm . Personally I would have thought call centre tech staff would have a wider view about mistakes the company has made. They impliment software that can cut out customers and then it allows to many to be put on a UBR seems strange to me

Of course the is the fact that this site has ties with VM and there have been occassions staff have got into trouble here for saying stuff about VM and some members have had to go incognito because of it

BTW that is not information leaked from when I was on the team at least 2 members I know had to prior to me being part of the team

DigitalShadow
14-06-2009, 09:56
The 50mbit is unreliable at best, 20mbit is rock solid, i want both.. simple... Will get it installed in another flat, then just bring the modem down here.

as long as it is from the same ubr, will be fine.

btw, http://www.wingate.com/ is another option for setting up multiple wan.

Peter_
14-06-2009, 09:58
I have been lucky with VM up until now but after 2 weeks of problems and all I am getting is "network fault" from some Indian guy who I struggle to understand kinda wears thin ;)

I would always advise you to call in the morning during the week after 0800.

There is certainly mixed opinion from VM staff about the firm . Personally I would have thought call centre tech staff would have a wider view about mistakes the company has made. They impliment software that can cut out customers and then it allows to many to be put on a UBR seems strange to me
First line staff have no dealings or say in what you say above as we do not have the tools or permissions to access the uBRs/BSRs.

Of course the is the fact that this site has ties with VM and there have been occassions staff have got into trouble here for saying stuff about VM and some members have had to go incognito because of it

BTW that is not information leaked from when I was on the team at least 2 members I know had to prior to me being part of the team
I freely admit to working for Virgin but that I am on here of my own volition, and I try not to post anything that will get a finger pointed at me and any information posted is usually available to everyone if somewhat hard to find on the website.

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 10:02
First line staff have no dealings or say in what you say above as we do not have the tools or permissions to access the uBRs/BSRs.

I did not expect you to. It is some of VM's business policies I am talking about

Peter_
14-06-2009, 10:09
I did not expect you to. It is some of VM's business policies I am talking about
That is one subject I try to avoid as I said above.