PDA

View Full Version : Were are They Getting Our Information ?

icestar2
09-06-2009, 18:08
For as long as I can now remember we've been getting junk mail with "you've won this", "were holding That For You" Blah Blah Blah rubbish. Recently we've been getting alot of it and after looking into some of the companys if you can really call them that I've found the recent ones are based in france and germany etc etc.

How are companys over there getting our information ? I know am always clicking box's for my info not to be passed on when ever signing up for something or ordering etc etc. So it lead's me to wonder were are these scammers getting our infomation from ?

Anyone else had stupid offers/scams like "were holding a Sony TV for you" or "Quick claim your cheque" rubbish ? We seem to be getting more and more all the time.

Mick Fisher
09-06-2009, 21:02
Unless you opt out they could be getting their info from the electoral register.

papa smurf
09-06-2009, 21:22
For as long as I can now remember we've been getting junk mail with "you've won this", "were holding That For You" Blah Blah Blah rubbish. Recently we've been getting alot of it and after looking into some of the companys if you can really call them that I've found the recent ones are based in france and germany etc etc.

How are companys over there getting our information ? I know am always clicking box's for my info not to be passed on when ever signing up for something or ordering etc etc. So it lead's me to wonder were are these scammers getting our infomation from ?

Anyone else had stupid offers/scams like "were holding a Sony TV for you" or "Quick claim your cheque" rubbish ? We seem to be getting more and more all the time.
dont complain i won the loteria primitiva 615,810,00 euro's and i didnt even enter it .

martyh
09-06-2009, 21:30
most definitely have noticed an increase in both postal junk and email junk
got a letter through the post yesterday (in a brown envelope i might add )from a wine survey company promising a table top weather station if i completed the survey
of course i immediately went out and purchased a few bottles of the finest lambrini and completed the survey so i could have said table top weather station
i used one of the email lottery prizes (total $620,000)i won this afternoon to buy the wine :D

papa smurf
09-06-2009, 21:36
most definitely have noticed an increase in both postal junk and email junk
got a letter through the post yesterday (in a brown envelope i might add )from a wine survey company promising a table top weather station if i completed the survey
of course i immediately went out and purchased a few bottles of the finest lambrini and completed the survey so i could have said table top weather station
i used one of the email lottery prizes (total $620,000)i won this afternoon to buy the wine :D

does the weather on your table change much?

martyh
09-06-2009, 21:39
hadn't realy noticed ..maybe that's why this company feels i need one ,how considerate

lucy7
09-06-2009, 23:20
I applied for a loan about 15 years ago, after that I was bombarded with junk mail and phone calls.

My eldest recently has given out my address and phone number for something she was after, and we now have India calling about 5 times a day. We have got to the stage that the phone line gets pulled out after a certain time of night, or we just do not answer it.

Drives me mental!

On planes they ask you to fill forms in, with the hope of you winning a free holiday with them.
All that is a way of getting your personal infomation, and they then give it away or sell it on to other companies.

I bought a phone contract off Signal Point once (do not know what they are called now-think Vodaphone took them over)
I then started getting sales calls on that private phone number, when I asked them how they got my number, the callers said they could not tell me because of the Data Protection Act!!!!

I think companies sell your info on to others, not sure though.

Anonymouse
09-06-2009, 23:32
Three words: Mailing Preference Service (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/). It takes a few weeks to kick in, but it works.
I think companies sell your info on to others, not sure though.
They do. The profits made from selling such information - all without your consent or even knowledge - are frightening. In this country, the MPS seems to be our only real defence.

rogerdraig
09-06-2009, 23:37
they just buy it of the many companies we do buisness with as demonstrated by this lot http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/09/mobile_phone_directory/
who managed to buy 50million mobile numbers and who they belong to over the last few years and now plan to let any one find you.

but hey i am just paranoid ;)
:angel: me

Earl of Bronze
10-06-2009, 22:26
My reply to the junkmail I get from Credit Card companies, and anyone else is to return everything. I tear of anything with my name, address and a code number/barcode. Tear up the envalope it all arrived in, and post it back in the pre-paid envalope. That way, they get to pay twice for their pointless, unsolicited crap.... :2up:

morrison
11-06-2009, 01:47
I was given mail addressed to me sent to a vacant house two doors away. They were oviously intended for me as I do not know anyone who has my initials.

I received a leter from Southern Electric wanting to repair my heating boiler which I do not have, and another from a cataogue company wanting me to take a catalogue. I then received a leter from the TV licencing telling me I did not have a licence, and a polling card for the recent elections.

When I rang the local Electoral Registrar I was told that they had a form with my signature for that address.

I do not know if mail is still being sent there, as I told Ed. who keeps an eye on the house "just return them as unknown".

Nidge
11-06-2009, 03:56
Unless you opt out they could be getting their info from the electoral register.
That is correct, you need to tick the box so the companies can't see who you are.

mentalis
11-06-2009, 07:53
My reply to the junkmail I get from Credit Card companies, and anyone else is to return everything. I tear of anything with my name, address and a code number/barcode. Tear up the envalope it all arrived in, and post it back in the pre-paid envalope. That way, they get to pay twice for their pointless, unsolicited crap.... :2up:

If you have any unwanted items that can fit in the envelope put them in as well. Extra weight added should also cost them more, and you get rid of unwanted items. Have you got a spare sheet of lead?

Anonymouse
11-06-2009, 22:39
I dealt with a loan offer like this:

I claimed to be Vlad Dracul, aged 557 or thereabouts, 3,728 kids, home address Transylvania - I added 'no need for a postcode...trust me, the posties know where I live!'. I asked for - well, I can't remember the amount but it was more money than actually exists on the planet. :shocked:

I then returned it in an ordinary envelope...with no stamp. Aren't I a bad boy? :D

rogerdraig
12-06-2009, 12:46
I dealt with a loan offer like this:

I claimed to be Vlad Dracul, aged 557 or thereabouts, 3,728 kids, home address Transylvania - I added 'no need for a postcode...trust me, the posties know where I live!'. I asked for - well, I can't remember the amount but it was more money than actually exists on the planet. :shocked:

I then returned it in an ordinary envelope...with no stamp. Aren't I a bad boy? :D

lol

icestar2
12-06-2009, 15:08
Thanks for the reply's. Its getting bloody annoying tbh all the crap we get lately. Just seems to be on the increase all the time. Seems to come in waves to. Wont get anything for a couple weeks then we'll get loads in a short space of time.

Raistlin
12-06-2009, 15:11
I'd be tempted to take the junk mail for one company and put it in a return envelope for a different company - let them fight it out amongst themselves :D