PDA

View Full Version : cvchecker.co.uk?

Caspar
08-06-2009, 14:37
Has anyone used or heard of anyone using these people's services?

I got a quote from them to completly revamp and focus my CV for £300!

I don't mind paying if it secures me interviews, but it's a hefty wedge if it's no gain.

Has anyone used them? good or bad exp?

p.s. if you have please don't just reply with a "Yes", or something similar, those kind of posts are not useful at all. :)

STONEISLAND
08-06-2009, 14:44
IMO CV is just the 'foot in the door' best bet is to save your money and just concentrate on the interview for the job.

FYI every job I have applied for I have got with a rubbish CV.

Osem
08-06-2009, 14:46

I don't mind paying if it secures me interviews, but it's a hefty wedge if it's no gain.

p.s. if you have please don't just reply with a "Yes", or something similar, those kind of posts are not useful at all. :)

That's a hell of a lot of money - what line of work are you in and at what level?

Happy to advise by PM if you'd prefer.

Pierre
08-06-2009, 14:59

£300!!!! I'd review your CV for you for half that and I'd still be robbing you blind.

The format and content of your CV all depends what sector you're in and what type of job you're after.

You'd better off doing some research yourself, most recruitment websites have free advice on them.

Kymmy
08-06-2009, 15:04
Sounds like a rip-off for something most advisors would charge less than £50 for

Caspar
09-06-2009, 10:01
Sounds like a rip-off for something most advisors would charge less than £50 for

Who? do you have any links? company names? :)

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

IMO CV is just the 'foot in the door' best bet is to save your money and just concentrate on the interview for the job.

I fuly agree, but before you have an interview it needs to be offered, the Cv still needs to be focused and good enough to get the interview.

I've revised my CV and covering letter so many times over last few months, I've applied to over 100 jobs, with 20% calls and only 5 interviews or so... pretty dire. And in interviews I get rejected cause I come accross to expereinced or senior! So the agencies didn't get that right either!

Before you get your foot in the door, the door must first be open! ;)

STONEISLAND
09-06-2009, 10:11
Who? do you have any links? company names? :)

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

I fuly agree, but before you have an interview it needs to be offered, the Cv still needs to be focused and good enough to get the interview.

I've revised my CV and covering letter so many times over last few months, I've applied to over 100 jobs, with 20% calls and only 5 interviews or so... pretty dire. And in interviews I get rejected cause I come accross to expereinced or senior! So the agencies didn't get that right either!

Before you get your foot in the door, the door must first be open! ;)

Sell yourself and sell hard!! :tu:
Good luck! :)

Pog66
09-06-2009, 14:20
...and amend for each application to bring out the most relevant points for the specific job you are going to.

When reviewing CVs in the past if they look professional and have the relevant skills, experience and a personal statetment that graps the eye they will get a closer inspection and keep it down to 2 pages (or 3 at the most) - what you did 20 years ago is probably not relevant for today.

...and as StoneIsland says - sell yourself - no one else will

TheDaddy
13-06-2009, 05:10

Exactly, it gets you the interview. A good one will tell an employer what you can offer, one that'll get you an interview will match your skills, experience and achievments to the needs of the organisation, chances are your cv will only get a minutes viewing at most, so it needs to catch their attention and I'd change it for every job you apply for, if as I think your going for jobs in a specific field.

I'll see if I can hook out a few sample ones for you later and you can compare them to your's and I certainly wouldn't be handing over £300 for the service.

admars
13-06-2009, 07:32
You coul dask at your local job center if they'll have a look. I remember when I was unemployed and signing on they did that for. I also went to a recruitment fair where they had a free cv guidance person. I remember that person said the content is the most important bit.

people concentrate on the layout too much, but the problem with that is different people like different layouts, so unless you do something radically strange with the layout their isn't really a right and wrong in terms of the basics.

AndyCambs
13-06-2009, 10:20
I went for a job interview arranged through an agency. They had my CV and asked if they could reformat it - which I was happy to permit. And that cost me nothing, as what turned out to be my future employer was paying the agency fees of course.

Nidge
14-06-2009, 10:12
Keep your CV's looking professional and you'll go along way. £300 to review your CV?? They are having a laugh.