PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a network fault to you?

zing_deleted
06-06-2009, 23:54
Last Sunday had an outage for a couple of hours. Called VM visit arranged for the Monday. Net come back on Sunday afternoon had a call saying vistit wasnt needed. Since then my speed has dropped to a constant 8 meg when downloading multi threaded and 2 meg under single thread.

Well I gave them most of the week to see if it would improve but it has not so called today and was told my modem is fine etc and it was passed to network who would call me if there was a problem in 2 or 3 hours. Well unusually enough they didnt call me ( can you imagine my surprise lol) so I called them back and was told it was a network fault and it was reported 2 or 3 days ago and would take another 3. I am just a little suss because the speeds seem constant as if it was a hard limit. I asked straight if it was the start of becoming over subbed and they said no.

Opinions? :)

Ignitionnet
07-06-2009, 00:02
It's a network fault yes. Network is consistently too many packets to allow a TCP stream to go over 2Mbps.

Ping something with 1460 byte packets, will probably drop a fair few.

zing_deleted
13-06-2009, 23:19
well thought it was kinda fixed today. Catching up on some downloads found speeds went upto 14 meg for a while hit the cap 5 hours later for a short while 14 meg again so obviously off the cap but now im lucky to get 5 meg. I am certainly starting to smell a rat

spoonie
13-06-2009, 23:56
mine started week last Friday and still continues to be on and off but its "just an outage" ..... must be a Midlands thing, out of interest have you got 50 meg BB in your area? or just became available?

zing_deleted
13-06-2009, 23:58
its still saying not available on the site but they are doing something thats making us suffer lol . Where about in the midlands are you? what speed are you getting? I am meant to be on 20 meg

My connection is back where it was @ 8 meg so maybe they are only just fixing it?

Mine started 2 weeks ago tomorrow with an outage and then as I say its been slow since

spoonie
14-06-2009, 00:04
stafford .. im on 20meg line, the download speed is around 400k with some VERY VERY slow webpages and then cannot be displayed, when the "outage" starts is unknown as the ready light still constant until i realise its not working as i unplug the modem to find is knackered and ready flashes away for 10 mins and then its still outage state.

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 00:12
your fault appears different to mine then. I can live with 8 meg but under 5 is extracting the urine. I realise others are worse off than me but if I do ever drop below 5 meg due to contention and there is no light at the end of the tunnel I may well dump the lot and use my sky account and get their max. It is plain from these forums that VM oversubscribe and so far ive been lucky but I accept it could be a fault I know broadbandings knows his squit so ill wait and see

Bonglet
14-06-2009, 09:41
Application throttling?, vm said it was going to happen about this quarter and my connection has been fishy as everyone elses for the past week or 2.
Somethings going on again thats for sure, quick to point the finger at stm limits even when you dont break them.

Jonnymeg
14-06-2009, 10:53
Zinglebarb...where are you?

I am in Nottingham and the broadband has gone seriously **** of the last two weeks.
My speed has gone from a rock solid 20meg to an crappy 2 if i am lucky.
Modem drops constantly too

zing_deleted
14-06-2009, 11:02
warwickshire