PDA

View Full Version : Driving in London

Graham M
06-06-2009, 19:52
Is it really as bad as I'm lead to believe? I'm taking a friend of mine to an address in London East 1 on Tuesday, I'm leaving here at 8am so as to be there for about 10 (no rush), and intending to leave there to be back here by about 4 or 5pm, does anyone have any tips or advice? Also the address I'm going to seems to be buried behind the congestion charge zone, is it really worth trying to skirt around it, or is £8 well worth it for the aggro?

punky
06-06-2009, 19:59
You certainly won't save any time by going into the congestion zone during morning rushhour.

Approach from the south side, via the M25 then A13/A2 or via the A205. M25 route is longer but probably will be quieter.

There's no way you can get there from Dorset to E1 in 2 hours, so if you don't want to rush, budget more time. Your Sat Nav might find a snakey route in via south London, but might be a false economy.

Maggy
06-06-2009, 20:01
Is it really as bad as I'm lead to believe? I'm taking a friend of mine to an address in London East 1 on Tuesday, I'm leaving here at 8am so as to be there for about 10 (no rush), and intending to leave there to be back here by about 4 or 5pm, does anyone have any tips or advice? Also the address I'm going to seems to be buried behind the congestion charge zone, is it really worth trying to skirt around it, or is £8 well worth it for the aggro?

Good Luck! I've resolved never ever to drive in London again.To be honest the public transport system is so much better than in my town I cannot see why anyone drives in London...except to leave.;)

Kymmy
06-06-2009, 20:03
Please be aware that the congestion zone actually has roads that go through it but are not chargable, check the CC map and you might find it's easier to go right through.

I think you're optomistic to make it in the two hours especially during a week-day but leaving much earlier will bring you into rush hour.

One major hint is stick to the main routes in/out as the side-streets might look like a better option but are likely to be just as jammed

[edit] Punky beat me to most of the points :D

Graham M
06-06-2009, 20:09
Yeah 2 hours is optimistic, doesn't matter if we're longer, was just a rough guess but i knew it was probably going to be off, I HAVE to drive there as we're taking a TV :)

Ramrod
06-06-2009, 20:12
I learnt to drive in west London (marble arch/Hammersmith/shepherds bush) :D

fireman328
06-06-2009, 20:15
I find my driver very good getting through traffic, and the sirens help of course !

Kymmy
06-06-2009, 20:43
Used to commute from Heathrow to Wimbledon daily during rush hour... Never took me more than 40 minutes...

Mind you I was on two wheels with a 115BHP engine between them ;)

bopdude
06-06-2009, 20:45
I would allow for more like 4 hours ( at least ) and check water and oil on the car, carry spare water in case of traffic jams, also take some drink for yourself, sounds like a trip into the outback, but believe me, it can be worse :D

Xaccers
06-06-2009, 21:06
Driving in London is so boring nowadays.
It used to be fun, with two speeds (60mph and stopped), really needing to keep your whits about you.
Since the congestion charge it's all becomes too civilised ;)

AndyCambs
06-06-2009, 21:18
it's horrendous - drivers seem to use the "who dares, wins" motto.
Zebra crossings are purely areas where you can aim for pedestrians.

xpod
06-06-2009, 22:03
I used to enjoy driving,till i moved to London.

I`d go with this advice though.
Approach from the south side, via the M25 then A13/A2 or via the A205. M25 route is longer but probably will be quieter.

M25 >> A2 >> Blackwall Tunnel >> E1

Something like that anyway.
Avoid cutting through Central London as much as possible.
It all depends on the traffic on the day of course.

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2009, 22:14
Lot's of alternative routes. TBH from Dorset you'd probably be coming up the M3. Follow that straight in. Keep going past Twickenham, over Chiswick Bridge, and make your way to the Westway and then keep skirting along the edge of the Congestion Zone past Euston Station as you head East.

Traffic though will be an issue. From the M3 / M25 junction to Poole, with my foot down rather heavily I'd expect 1 1/2 hours minimum. From there to E1, I'd expect at least an hour. Only last week from M3/M25 to London NW3 took me an 1 1/4 hours largely following much of the above route.

If you are not familiar with London a Sat Nav could work wonders, but beware they don't always know the where the no right turns are (at least mine doesn't), even with current maps.

I learnt to drive in west London (marble arch/Hammersmith/shepherds bush) :D

Snap. My use of the clutch was rather inept so my Dad who taught me, decided I would drive him to work, during rush hour, down the A5 round Marble Arch to City Hall where he worked at the time :eek: A bent bumper later from being cut up a few too many times we got there :erm:

Graham M
06-06-2009, 23:43
Yeah I have a Tom Tom but it's 3 years old so I'd rather have an idea of where I'm going xD

Maggy
06-06-2009, 23:48
Yes my sister learned to drive in London back in the 60s..She decided in the 90s that enough was enough...:erm:

Hom3r
06-06-2009, 23:56
According to The AA route planner

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

From (javascript:showMapLocation(null,50.719423,-1.980661)): Poole, Dorset
To (javascript:showMapLocation(null,51.514526,-0.069255)): E1, Whitechapel
Distance: 115.1 miles (show in km) (javascript:routeSwitchUnits('kilometres');)
Time: 2 hr 38 min

tweetypie/8
07-06-2009, 01:53

one word,nightmare !!.

Kymmy
07-06-2009, 09:31
According to The AA route planner

And probably in the small print is states that all roads will be clear, all traffic lights will be green as you approach, all directions are based on a perfect world :D ;) :p:

Hom3r
07-06-2009, 12:36
And probably in the small print is states that all roads will be clear, all traffic lights will be green as you approach, all directions are based on a perfect world :D ;) :p:

So in that case it would be nearer 5 hours journey time.

Graham M
08-06-2009, 12:29
My friend has volunteered to pay the £8 congestion charge so that's my major worry quashed IE I don't have to try and skirt around the charge zone :)

LSainsbury
08-06-2009, 20:59
I drive to London some days and it's a real pain most days. It takes me 2.5hrs to get from Newbury to Ealing some days.

I'd agree with a 5hr drive - one way!

Graham M
08-06-2009, 22:02
We shall see :) Thanks for the replies all

Hugh
08-06-2009, 22:03
Graham, with the Tube strike starting Tuesday evening, traffic may be a bit heavier on Tuesday morning/afternoon.

Graham M
08-06-2009, 22:08
Yep understandable, I'm in no rush to get anywhere by a certain time, so we'll take it easy :)

Graham M
09-06-2009, 18:15
Am back :) 4 hours to get there (inc 45 minutes of me being lost and stuck in traffic), 2.5 to get back, was definitely an experience :D

Maggy
09-06-2009, 18:53
The number of times I've been stuck going round and round and round the Elephant and Castle roundabout does not bear thinking about..Didn't speak to my husband for a couple of days after the last particular journey.:erm:

georgepomone
09-06-2009, 19:08
Like you Maggy I shall never drive in that city again. The last time it cost me a fine because I entered the Con Zone without even knowing. There where three of us in the car and everyone knew the right way didn't they (not) never again. I'd rather pay for the train.
George.

cookie_365
09-06-2009, 20:57
How did you manage to drive into the C zone without knowing George? It's pretty well signposted.

Hugh
09-06-2009, 21:20
How did you manage to drive into the C zone without knowing George? It's pretty well signposted.
He'd forgotten his glasses, so couldn't see the signs.....:D

georgepomone
09-06-2009, 23:52
Sorry I was at work. When I was last there it was quite a time ago. I agree it's well signed now but side streets weren't then. We'd been redirected because of an accident and someone who was with us knew of a short cut. That put us in the zone. Self inflicted somewhat. I know it's easy for people who use it regularly but not so easy for visitors.
George.