PDA

View Full Version : 50mb problem

Markuk86
06-06-2009, 01:54
Hi! Had 50meg since 7th May, first 2 weeks was ok but after that its been hell!! The problem is, my connection will just die at any time. It would then take anything from 30mins to 12hours to come back online.

What happens is on the modem, the blue tick light will go off completely and the blue up arrow light will flash. I have noticed when this happens my upstream power level is too high..? 55-60 and when its working fine its usually around 40-48.
I have had 4 techs out so far, last time was Tuesday, 4 blokes came and did some wiring in the green box outside. I think they added a bigger cable onto my current one. I phone virgin, but i find after 20.00 i must get a different call center as none seem to be any good :/

Has anyone else had problems like this? Can virgin fix the problem or am i wasting my time? What makes it worse.. i just received my bill and noticed i have to pay a months in advance too.. so im due to pay £181. I wouldnt mind if it worked, but as it goes down every day for several hours.... :/

Any ideas?

thanks!

Peter_
06-06-2009, 07:09
click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

----------------------------

Ring this morning if possible and you should get a UK call centre.

Markuk86
06-06-2009, 10:36
Sorry, whats SNR? :)

Anyways its working again this morning.

Downstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 1.48 1.87 1.59 N/A

Upstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 43.25 N/A N/A N/A

Peter_
06-06-2009, 13:55
Sorry, whats SNR? :)

Anyways its working again this morning.

Downstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 1.48 1.87 1.59 N/A

Upstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 43.25 N/A N/A N/A
Sorry on that modem its called rxmer

Markuk86
06-06-2009, 14:41
Downstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 0.76 1.16 0.89 N/A
RxMER
(dB) 37.64 36.39 37.64 N/A

Upstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 43.25 N/A N/A N/A
No RxMER?

hope thats right! thanks for the replys!

Peter_
06-06-2009, 14:44
Your power levels are fine for your connection if you are having other issues then I would advise you to call in.

Markuk86
06-06-2009, 14:52
Thanks! At the moment its running fine. When it goes down should i take note of the power levels and RxMER?

thanks for the replys and help!

Peter_
06-06-2009, 15:27
Thanks! At the moment its running fine. When it goes down should i take note of the power levels and RxMER?

thanks for the replys and help!
Tech Support will check them if you have to call in.

ro53ben
07-06-2009, 15:08
During a period of disconnection, with the checkmark light unlit, do a release/renew of your IP addresss on the PC/router. Do you get an IP address? Do you get the correct IP address? Or do you get a 192.168.x.x address?

In my case, I'm finding during disconnection I get a 192.168.x.x address and the modem appears to have unnecessarily entered walled garden mode. This means the connection is up, but internet connectivity is denied.

I'm hoping the cause of this will be found soon.

Markuk86
07-06-2009, 19:45
Will check next time it goes off. Its disconnected around 4times today, each time i reset the modem and it comes back on.

Peter_
07-06-2009, 22:59
During a period of disconnection, with the checkmark light unlit, do a release/renew of your IP addresss on the PC/router. Do you get an IP address? Do you get the correct IP address? Or do you get a 192.168.x.x address?

In my case, I'm finding during disconnection I get a 192.168.x.x address and the modem appears to have unnecessarily entered walled garden mode. This means the connection is up, but internet connectivity is denied.

I'm hoping the cause of this will be found soon.
When you get your 192 IP after losing connection are you connected to a wireless router by any chance as the router gives you that IP itself not the network.

ro53ben
08-06-2009, 07:41
I'm talking about the WAN IP, so...no.

Peter_
08-06-2009, 08:18
I'm talking about the WAN IP, so...no.
What are you connected to when you do the ipconfig.

ro53ben
08-06-2009, 08:37
Which part of "no" didn't you understand?

Peter_
08-06-2009, 09:06
Which part of "no" didn't you understand?
The only reason I asked is to see if it was the network causing the issue, not to question your ability:)

Its a standard question we ask.

ro53ben
08-06-2009, 09:10
1) It's not wireless
2) I don't have DHCP enabled in my router
3) The supplied IP address is in a completely different subnet to my LAN.
4) It's a WAN IP address, nothing to do with the LAN interfaces.

Peter_
08-06-2009, 09:41
1) It's not wireless
2) I don't have DHCP enabled in my router
3) The supplied IP address is in a completely different subnet to my LAN.
4) It's a WAN IP address, nothing to do with the LAN interfaces.
So as you have previously said it is network side, no problem.

Have you called in when this happens so they can check the connection and the network to try and get it resolved for you.

ro53ben
08-06-2009, 09:52
I've been in contact with CEO office etc. for some weeks now. Hardware has been swapped out etc.

Markuk86
09-06-2009, 16:36
Just to let ya know, been disconnecting 1-5times a day and last night it packed up again.

Downstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 0.47 N/A N/A N/A
RxMER
(dB) 36.84 N/A N/A N/A

Upstream:

Power Level
(dBmV) 58.21 N/A N/A N/A

Called VM up and spoke to a man, he said it was a fault in the area and it should be fixed by 12.45pm tomorrow. So hopefully thats the end of it all \o/

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 18:19
Your upstream power level is a bit high, if you can persuade anybody, it's worth getting it looked at.

Peter_
09-06-2009, 18:50
Your upstream power level is a bit high, if you can persuade anybody, it's worth getting it looked at.
He only has one Downstream so he is offline anyway.

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 20:26
Yeah, but I doubt the upstream will improve when it is connected.

Peter_
09-06-2009, 21:27
Yeah, but I doubt the upstream will improve when it is connected.
Power levels change when connected after an outage so it could drop and only he can verify it.

Markuk86
10-06-2009, 04:04
When its connected, im usually around 48 upstream. The bloke on the phone was almost certain my problem was to do with the area fault. Im not too sure, as i've had this problem on and off for the past 18 days. Amyways will let ya know what the outcome is.

Thanks again!

Markuk86
12-06-2009, 19:36
Hey. Really need some advice on what to do. The problem came back after one day. It worked perfect for one day, now its gone offline again. I got a tech booked out for Thursday. Im pretty sure they wont be able to fix the problem, as this will be the 4th or 5th time i have had a tech out for this problem now. Shame i can't remember who i spoke to the other day, he was really helpful :(

Anyone else had a problem like mine? Any advice to share? :D

Edit: when i try and goto http://192.168.100.1 i just get a 404. dunno if that helps?

Peter_
12-06-2009, 20:12
Hey. Really need some advice on what to do. The problem came back after one day. It worked perfect for one day, now its gone offline again. I got a tech booked out for Thursday. Im pretty sure they wont be able to fix the problem, as this will be the 4th or 5th time i have had a tech out for this problem now. Shame i can't remember who i spoke to the other day, he was really helpful :(

Anyone else had a problem like mine? Any advice to share? :D

Edit: when i try and goto http://192.168.100.1 i just get a 404. dunno if that helps?
If you are on a router then connect direct to the modem reboot and try the link again.

Markuk86
12-06-2009, 20:23
I did that and i could atleast connect to it. Could that be causing my problem? the router? Still shows power level of 58.21. What could be making it rise from 48 to 58?:/ Im sure thats why it dies and disconnects me. The power levels.

Peter_
12-06-2009, 20:26
I did that and i could atleast connect to it. Could that be causing my problem? the router? Still shows power level of 58.21. What could be making it rise from 48 to 58?:/ Im sure thats why it dies and disconnects me. The power levels.
58 is to high so what do Tech Support say when you call as it sounds like you need a engineer visit.

Markuk86
12-06-2009, 20:31
When i call VM before 5pm they are great! they spend time on the phone asking me questions and whatnot, explaining stuff to me. The bloke i spoke to the other day was really helpful, didnt catch his name tho :| anyways when i get through after 5-6pm i get a different call center, which really isnt helpful. I have had this power problem for 3weeks now! I guess i will phone again tomorrow before 5pm, i will get a UK call center then? :x
My Bt internet is being disconnected Monday, so i wont be online at all until Vm fix this :/

Atleast you guys wont have to listen to me pesta on about this problem :P

Peter_
12-06-2009, 20:36
When i call VM before 5pm they are great! they spend time on the phone asking me questions and whatnot, explaining stuff to me. The bloke i spoke to the other day was really helpful, didnt catch his name tho :| anyways when i get through after 5-6pm i get a different call center, which really isnt helpful. I have had this power problem for 3weeks now! I guess i will phone again tomorrow before 5pm, i will get a UK call center then? :x
My Bt internet is being disconnected Monday, so i wont be online at all until Vm fix this :/

Atleast you guys wont have to listen to me pesta on about this problem :P
I would advise you to ring in the morning to get a UK call centre.

Markuk86
12-06-2009, 20:42
Thanks! 8am till 5pm is it?

thanks again!

Peter_
12-06-2009, 20:44
Thanks! 8am till 5pm is it?

thanks again!
The sooner the better from 0800.

Markuk86
18-06-2009, 14:57
Hey giving an update to my problem. A 50meg tech just came, did a few checks and whatever. He told me he has to get his boss to email networking and the green box needs to be upgraded. He said they should do it within a few days. But if they will not upgrade the green box, he has told me Virgin will stop my service and say 50meg isnt available to me, as it doesnt work as it should.

If that does happen, then i will hopefully get a full refund! also the good news, my BT internet is still working... :P

Any thoughts/suggestions ?:)

Ben B
18-06-2009, 16:35
You'd probably be best asking for a refund and downgrading to 20mb for the time being and then go back up to 50mb when all the issues are ironed out.

Markuk86
18-06-2009, 16:41
If they cant fix it and i end up having to take a refund, i will never go back to virgin again :p 6 weeks wasted for what..!

ro53ben
18-06-2009, 16:42
You'd probably be best asking for a refund and downgrading to 20mb for the time being and then go back up to 50mb when all the issues are ironed out.

My problems actually started on 20meg as that was also upgraded to the new DOCSIS3 setup.

If you downgrade to 20meg from 50, they just apply a new config to the same 50meg modem.

Markuk86
18-06-2009, 18:45
Just spoke to a friend of mine, he has the same problem as me.. but he has also had networking upgrade his green box and he still has the problem :s So will have to wait and see and maybe pray a little =)

Peter_
18-06-2009, 19:01
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431

Do not call if not 50Mb as you will be asked to hang up as the is no facility to transfer you to Broadband Support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Markuk86
19-06-2009, 18:11
Hi again. Fun and games today :) I phoned Virgin this morning to get an update on the green box. The person told me networking was comming today to sort it.

I then phoned again in the afternoon. The person i spoke to said he will call me back as he can't get though to networking at the moment. He phoned me back an hour later and told me networking didnt know there was a problem.

Ok now im confused, first guy said networking are fixing it today, second guy says they have no idea of a problem..?! he also said he has made a complaint against the tech who visted me yesterday, as he didnt report anything to networking.

he told me a manager will contact me within 48 hours, because a complaint has been made.

Is there a email address i can send a complaint to? Should i wait for this manager to contact me and explain everything to him?

:/

Markuk86
20-06-2009, 19:28
Really annoyed now. I phoned Virgin and asked what time a manager was going to contact me. I was told the tech who came Thursday will phone me within 30mins. 2Hours later i phone them back... explain what has happened so far. I got a person telling me to call back and speak to him in 15mins. So i call back.. ask to speak to the person and he had gone home.

So the person i spoke to told me that everything looked fine and i had no problem.... ?!?!?!?! I didnt really get anywhere, i will have to phone again Monday and maybe get something sorted out. It seems the last 2 people i spoke to didnt have any idea about a manager or tech that was suppose to call me. I feel like im being sent round in circles!

So as it goes... Tech came Thursday, said green box needed to be upgraded. He left my house and told me he would email his boss right away. I phone Friday and nothing was reported. Leading to a complaint against the Tech. Manager suppose to call me.
I go no phone call from a manager. They said the Tech will phone me. He never. Etc...Etc...

This is very frustrating! Im now into the 5-6th week without internet service. and all i have received so far is promises and a large £181 bill taken out my account.

Is it poss to speak to a certain person from a certain call center? I had a really helpful lady the other day and i managed to catch her name. Would the call center be able to redirect me to her? Also are the UK call centers open tomorrow?

Any advice on what the hell i can do? All i really got today was Head Office address, and people passing me around to other people.

HELP! :<

thanks in advance!

EDIT: I was also told today that i have 2 modems registered to me? I just phoned to confirm which modem i had but was told their systems are down and to ring back tomorrow morning.

Ben B
20-06-2009, 20:00
Have you tried posting on the support newsgroups?

Markuk86
20-06-2009, 20:55
Hmm, sorry but whats that?:) Could you or someone point me in a direction to this?:x

Thanks again!

Ben B
20-06-2009, 21:34
Hmm, sorry but whats that?:) Could you or someone point me in a direction to this?:x

Thanks again!

PM'd you :)

Markuk86
20-06-2009, 21:35
thanks for your help :)

Ben B
20-06-2009, 21:41
thanks for your help :)

they just need your main broadband username to bring up your account details

DjRalford
01-07-2009, 23:06
It seems this problem is what i am experiencing also, did you get it resolved in the end?

I had my 50 Meg installed yesterday and it took 3 hours to get it connected, then in the evening it dropped out twice but came back up after modem reboots, called the support line this morning as when i got up it had died completely and was told an engineer would be out friday as they could not remotely connect to the modem.

I have no tick light on and a solid downstream light constant flashing upstream light, called the support line again in the evening after getting onto the modem config and when i told them my downstream freq i was told it was too high and that they might be able to resolve it in a couple of hours however as of this moment its still not working.

colinjones1172
16-08-2009, 20:39
I have also been experiancing the same issue since my install around 2 months. I first noticed that my connection would drop of when doing heavy downloading.
The way around this was to go into the wireless router and release and then renew the dhcp. After a while this would not work, i would get a private dhcp of 192.168.x.x. and no DNS ip and the only way around this was to now turn off the modem as well as the wireless router. This continued for about 2 times a day but last week got to the stage where it would happen 3 - 4 times a day and be off for up to an hour at a time. On the modem i I have no tick light on and a solid downstream light with constant flashing upstream light
As you can imagine this was getting right on my *&*^ by now, after a couple of phone calls i got through to somewone good at virgin, i have also had real horror story with them last year.!!
They are sending someone round wednesday as they say there is an issue with the line and the levels. My current levels are;
Down
Power Level
(dBmV) 4.71 3.79 3.87 3.66
RxMER
(dB) 38.26 37.94 37.94 38.26

Up
Power Level
(dBmV) 58.21 N/A N/A N/A

Am hoping it stays on for the rest of night or have to drive into the office for job at midnight.
I am a cisco network engineer, CCIP, and if i took this long to sort out the numerous problems that Virgin are having i woul dbe sacked..............

Will post throughout the week to let you know the outcome

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 20:41
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254 follow these steps..

Peter_
16-08-2009, 22:12
Up
Power Level
(dBmV) 58.21
It is that Upstream that will be causing your issues and you need a engineer to fix it.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254 follow these steps..
Good sound general advice but will not work in this case.