PDA

View Full Version : 50meg modem instability test

ro53ben
05-06-2009, 17:26
I seem to be having major issues with the stability of my 50meg modem and wondered if you guys could test yours and see if you could reproduce my problem.

With all working and online, I can easily ping the modem, sites on the internet and access the modem config pages. Regularly, however, the modem appears to hang and I lose all connectivity requiring a reboot.

The odd thing is that the device is still online. All 5 lights are usually lit and the modem can still be accessed remotely by tech support. Clearly the interface on the coax side is still up and the device is still alive, it's just lost it's ability to respond on the ethernet interface. Despite a link light, nothing can get it to respond on that side.

We noticed this behaviour during an engineer visit. He briefly disconnected the coax to change the in-line attenuator and then reconnected. All the lights came back on and all appeared to be good, but we still couldn't access the internet from any ethernet connected device. A full reboot was required.

It seems to me that if the cable co-ax connection is interrupted, if only for a few seconds, that it causes the ethernet interface on the device to go off-line. This is fairly easy to reproduce.

If any of you guys would be kind enough, could you disconnect your cable for 30secs and then reconnect. Do the lights come back on? Can you now access the internet? Or is a reboot required?

It's my suspicion that there is a lot of maintenance going on right now with ports being repatched etc. Normally this would cause the customer to lose connectivity for just a few seconds and then all would be fine. If, however, it is causing these 50meg modems to drop the ethernet interface then it could be a cause of the problems some people are experiencing.

So if you could test your modem and post your results below, along with your modem model number (NOT serial number or MAC address), it would be appreciated.

Pushkar
05-06-2009, 17:32
Reboot isn't required for me.

Modem no: E08C015.01 - Maybe i've got a good area and a decent modem.

ro53ben
05-06-2009, 17:34
Reboot isn't required for me.

Modem no: E08C015.01 - Maybe i've got a good area and a decent modem.

It's the brand/model of modem I'm interested in. There are 2 main brands in use and I'm suspicious that one of the two has an issue and the other doesn't.

Pushkar
05-06-2009, 17:38
it's the brand/model of modem i'm interested in. There are 2 main brands in use and i'm suspicious that one of the two has an issue and the other doesn't.

vmng300?

ro53ben
05-06-2009, 17:41
vmng300?

Ta :)

roger_chef
05-06-2009, 18:29
no reboot either and also a vmng300
mn - E08C015.01

1 Day old.

Peter_
05-06-2009, 20:01
It's the brand/model of modem I'm interested in. There are 2 main brands in use and I'm suspicious that one of the two has an issue and the other doesn't.
What other brand are we supposed to be using apart from the Ambit, I would love to know.

All modems are the VMNG300 and no others are in use with standard 50Mb packages at the present time or I would know about it.

Jabbs
05-06-2009, 21:46
HI had my 50 meg in today long story cut short they came at 8.30 this morning and found a fault at the exchange not virgins fault mind but the peeps that installed it but its working now.

Are lots of you using Newsleecher ? when i try it i find the speeds very flaky downloading its like it can't keep up it starts high then drops rappidly, as a test i installed alt-binz and getting a steady 6.1mbs with it for the 10mins or so i was watching it.

Pushkar
06-06-2009, 07:14
HI had my 50 meg in today long story cut short they came at 8.30 this morning and found a fault at the exchange not virgins fault mind but the peeps that installed it but its working now.

Are lots of you using Newsleecher ? when i try it i find the speeds very flaky downloading its like it can't keep up it starts high then drops rappidly, as a test i installed alt-binz and getting a steady 6.1mbs with it for the 10mins or so i was watching it.

Offtopic but there are some users reporting newsgroup download shaping.