PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media? Never again. (Long post - be warned!)

preecey
05-06-2009, 01:32
I've registered on CF to voice my views about my recent V+ installation.

First of all, I'd like to point of that I have recently moved to a flat in Swansea and have been a Sky customer with Sky+ for a while. I've only decided to switch to VM because I couldn't be bothered to ask Sky to sort out my viewing problems - this flat has a communal dish so only one input is coming in (Sky+ needs 2 inputs from the LNB) and half of all my channels only show the words 'No satellite signal is being received'. To be honest, the prospect of true VoD from Virgin also caught my eye a little.

Two weeks ago I ordered V+ with TV size XL (£27.50/month) from the local Virgin Media store in Swansea. It was on offer - get a free V+ box when you pay £30 installation there and then. I went ahead and got it installed on the 1st of June. This is where the problems started.

The engineer (tidy bloke, although a bit of a hippy) connected my V+ box up to my TV via HDMI and it worked - for about 10 seconds - then failed. So he tried a second HDMI cable - it worked for another 10 seconds - and it failed again. I was then told he must have had a batch of dodgy HDMI cables. He said he didn't have any more in the van so he'd happily go to the local headend to pick one up and drop it off for me later. He connected the V+ box up via SCART 'for the time being', then went.

I had to pop out for a bit and when I returned there was a brand new HDMI cable in my letterbox. I tried that one myself (yes, I selected HiDef HDMI and 720 in the V+ menu) and it did exactly the same. My TV recognised the feed coming through but it conked out again. I stupidly pressed the text button to confirm the settings and I was left with nothing at all, so I had to reset the box to factory defaults to get the SCART feed working again.

Now, on to the actual TV viewing experience - well that's downright awful too. Compared to my trusty Pace Sky+ box, this Scientific Atlanta box is probably the slowest thing I've ever used in my life. The EPG is incredibly slow, changing channels takes forever and if you use the mini guide too fast then it takes an age 'to catch up'. Going from the instant channel change and fast menus of a Sky+ box, the V+ box seems like a downstep in technology.

To top it all off, I've also received my first bill - £62.50. I immediately phoned up to query this and they basically said they have no record of me even paying for installation. They said I have to pay the first months' XL TV £27.50 plus the £30 installation (I've already paid) plus a £5 non-direct debit admin fee. I also found that extremely odd because I submitted my Direct Debit details to them when I ordered it in store for heaven's sake!!!

Therefore for reasons of:

A dud V+ box,
Dreadful user experience (EPG and channel changing),
Not being able to check whether I've already paid for installation!!!!!,
Terrible customer service...

...I hope you can see why I'm going to cancel. And I now know why Branson's decreased his stake in the business to just 6%. Even he thinks it's going downhill.

After having a bad Sky experience and a downright awful experience with VM, I've decided to ditch both and get freeview instead. At least that works. Hell, I don't even watch much TV nowadays anyway considering the weather we've been having recently.

Nathan Preece, age 19, Swansea.

Welshchris
05-06-2009, 01:38
i have to say im in swansea and touch wood im not having any probs with VM what part u in??

My sister did leave them because of problems in the last 3 months of her contract she rang them over 60 times with problems concerning her V+ and viewing and she went to sky and finds them fine.

preecey
05-06-2009, 01:39
i have to say im in swansea and touch wood im not having any probs with VM what part u in??
I used to live in Clydach, near Pontardawe but now I live in Gendros :)

Welshchris
05-06-2009, 02:58
im in city center could be a signal or area problem there

MovedGoalPosts
05-06-2009, 11:45
So you paid the installation fee, and VM are denying that? Was it in cash, or by other method? Do you have any reciept?

Seems like only half of the paperwork you would have signed to has been entered onto the VM systems. What happened to the rest. Do you have the name of the sales staff on any of the paperwork from when you signed up?

Does your TV work OK with other HDMI inputs? If so that would point to the HDMI output on the V+ box being faulty?

When the intaller fitted the V+ did he get it out of a cardboard box (which would suggest it might be new), or was there no box (which might suggest a refurbished unit)?

preecey
05-06-2009, 13:04
So you paid the installation fee, and VM are denying that? Was it in cash, or by other method? Do you have any reciept?

Seems like only half of the paperwork you would have signed to has been entered onto the VM systems. What happened to the rest. Do you have the name of the sales staff on any of the paperwork from when you signed up?

Does your TV work OK with other HDMI inputs? If so that would point to the HDMI output on the V+ box being faulty?

When the intaller fitted the V+ did he get it out of a cardboard box (which would suggest it might be new), or was there no box (which might suggest a refurbished unit)?
I paid by Maestro debit card and I have all receipts - but the receipt for installation does not say 'installation', instead it says 'Upfront payment' (for some reason).

I do have the name of the salesperson too on a small bit of paper which doesn't look professional at all. It also had my account number manually written on it too.

My TV is quite old so it has only one HDMI input, so it isn't possible to try others. However, I've had an Xbox 360 in the past and that worked flawlessly via HDMI. I just had to get rid of it recently because I never found the time to play it.

The V+ did come out of a brown box, sealed with sellotape.

Hope this helps. :)

virgin_tech
06-06-2009, 18:17
the v+ box is faulty, (even refurbs come in a box) if it was a big box with scientific atlanta on the side then this was new... all SA boxes are sh***.. samsung have made a V+ box now so insist on that...

it might be a headache now to sort things out, but when its all done, the V+ is far better than the sky+ (3 tuners, VoD, tons of VoD)

oh BTW very few ppl with V+ boxes realise ther is a HD on demand section, it really anoys me when installers (contractors BTW) dont do ther job properley...ther seems to be lots that customers are not told, but this is all VM's fault with all ther crappy stats, i could explain futher if you want lol

Arthurgray50@blu
06-06-2009, 19:25
The problems that have been said by Preecey, are not uncommon, and some members glorify VM, as if they were a state of the art company, Well this proves that they are not, VM have got to get there act together, or they will lose more customer, get rid of most of the staff, who don't give a monkey's about Customer care and employ people who do want a decent job and do care about the customer.

virgin_tech
06-06-2009, 19:48
The problems that have been said by Preecey, are not uncommon, and some members glorify VM, as if they were a state of the art company, Well this proves that they are not, VM have got to get there act together, or they will lose more customer, get rid of most of the staff, who don't give a monkey's about Customer care and employ people who do want a decent job and do care about the customer.

i do care about the customer, more than anything, but im afraid virgin stats and the bosses who want them.. DON'T....

its not just Virgin... i hear lots have probs with sky.. and move to virgin

Arthurgray50@blu
06-06-2009, 21:28
Hi virgin tech, you must be the only one then, And lets put it this way, l have been with Sky for about ten years, and in this time, all the probs l have had with them, would only fill half a page, with VM they would fill an entire book, All they give are false promises to customers, lack of care from CS, reporting faults and repairs, l went FOUR days with TV or phone, and all they gave me was a free film for 24 hours, the second time was when the tv service went blank, and they blamed technicans for the problem, saying that they couldn't find the problem, when l threatened to sue them, it was repaired in ten minutes, And if you really care about the customer, you want to tell your boss, to stop treating the customer, as if they didn't exist, and stop telling them lies, about what is going to happen ' in the near future' and tell them the truth, you might be a great person, but it's your company that lets you down.

Hugh
06-06-2009, 21:34
Perhaps you had a communications breakdown with VM, Arthur......

preecey
07-06-2009, 00:07
Thanks for the help everyone.

I can now confirm I visited the VM store yesterday, and they were more than helpful. The salesperson, Lee, was the same guy who initially signed me up in the first place.

He told me it was quite possibly one of the worst situations he had ever heard. He did also say that he has heard similar stories before, however. But not this bad.

We were both on the phone to India (even a VM store couldn't get through to a UK call centre) and he couldn't understand a word they were saying so he demanded to be put through to cancellations.

I spoke to them, and despite some persuasion from the guy on the other end for me to stay (if they can sort out their problems), I still asked to cancel. They didn't even offer a goodwill gesture or anything. He then stated he'd cancel my account immediately, with nothing to pay. He also said he'd send me a cheque for the inital £30 installation. This, however took a bit of persuasion from me (and the salesperson Lee) because the guy at cancellations also couldn't see that I had paid it. I was actually quite thankful to Lee because he took the phone and (almost) shouted down the line, "I have his receipt right here in front of me so I cannot believe how on earth there is no record of the customer paying it!".

Once I receive this cheque I will believe this Mr. Cancellations/Retentions guy.

I got home and checked to see if my account had actually been cancelled and I was surprised it had. Only BBC One and a few others were available, so I was glad to see that.

In reference to some of you above who mentioned that my V+ box *may* be a refurbished model, I now really do have reason to suspect this. I looked on the underside of the Scientific Atlanta box and shockingly the 'Manufacture Date' said '16/06/2007'! Now if it was made that long ago then I'm CERTAIN I wasn't given something brand new.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Nathan :)

Toto
07-06-2009, 01:36
Just outside Swansea - not had a real problem with my V+ box at all. I did have it replaced, but it turned out my problem was the poor quality extension cable I installed.

Notwithstanding Arthu'rs view of VM, I know a number of very dedicated support staff in Swansea who work hard, and actually care about the service they offer. I am a fan of VM, but like many I am a fan simply becuase the service has been reliable, pricing has been reasonable, and it meets my needs perfectly.

Although Arthur I am confused, can you help me out? Are you with Sky or VM or both? You seem to - pardon the expression - pontificate about VM's lack of HD content and poor quality service, how over half the broadband customers will leave VM, and yet you claim you have been with Sky for "about 10 years".

So what services do you actually have with either firm. Whilst preecey can now speak from experience, having been with both, I am not so sure about you now, how odd is that?

virgin_tech
07-06-2009, 12:00
Hi virgin tech, you must be the only one then, And lets put it this way, l have been with Sky for about ten years, and in this time, all the probs l have had with them, would only fill half a page, with VM they would fill an entire book, All they give are false promises to customers, lack of care from CS, reporting faults and repairs, l went FOUR days with TV or phone, and all they gave me was a free film for 24 hours, the second time was when the tv service went blank, and they blamed technicans for the problem, saying that they couldn't find the problem, when l threatened to sue them, it was repaired in ten minutes, And if you really care about the customer, you want to tell your boss, to stop treating the customer, as if they didn't exist, and stop telling them lies, about what is going to happen ' in the near future' and tell them the truth, you might be a great person, but it's your company that lets you down.

im sick to my back teeth of tellin em, they will never get rid of the indian call centre, they will never get rid of ther stats you have to achive, half hour a job including travelling is way to short a time to do most jobs properly,.... everyone has ther hands tied, its as if every section is a law to themselves, ther is no structure for internal comunication, if our pda goes down we can be at a customers house for an hour, we get little help... it's a sham, and emarasing, most times...

nuff moaning..........