PDA

View Full Version : Modem being rejected by network

Laserboy
04-06-2009, 21:26
Hi Guys - first post, so bear with me.
A few months ago, VM sent me a new modem (Ambit model E08C013.00) to allow me to make full use of my 20MB connection. I duly pensioned off my trusty Motorola Surfboard SB42000i, and after a phone call to VM to enable the new modem, all was well - until Tuesday night (2/6). At 17:30 the internet was working normally. At 19:00 - no internet connection was available. Resetting modem and router had no effect.
I contacted VM who eventually informed me that they could see my modem on the network and it appeared to be working correctly, but their network was randomly rejecting certain modems - mine being one of them. This problem would have to be addressed by VM IT and my problem would be added to a list of other customers who were experiencing the same problem. It could take up to 5 days for them to address the problem. :shocked:
I was surprised to find that no one else had recorded this fault on this forum if the problem was as widespread as I was lead to believe.
Last night (3/6), suffering from withdrawal symptoms, I decided to ditch the new modem and re-connect the old Motorola - not thinking that there was any hope of it working as they had changed the MAC address to suit the new modem. To my surprise, the old modem allowed me access to the internet. :confused: I have tried re-fitting the new modem - still no joy - The ready light flashes rapidly, sync flashes slowly, send flickers intermittently, enet is solid, but the recv light just gives an occasional blink.
I have to contact VM at the end of the week again, but this sounds more like a dodgy modem to me.
Any thoughts?
Anyone else experiencing this fault?

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 21:32
The old modem syncs, which implies your line is ok.

The new modem fails, which implies it's as faulty as the guys on the phone suggested and you will likely need a replacement.

Personally, I'd complain to hell to try and accelerate the replacement process or at least get compensated.

Laserboy
04-06-2009, 21:35
Sorry my original post rambles on a bit, but VM say that the new modem is OK - it's an IT problem at their end!
They haven't suggested sending me a replacement modem. They say my modem is working properly.

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 21:45
Ah, ok - sounds like it has a bad config and needs to be re-provisioned.

Not sure why that would take so long, unless somebody seriously pressed the wrong button on hundreds of units.