PDA

View Full Version : My dog died today… :(

Lew
04-06-2009, 20:51
We had to have Ben put to sleep this morning. The last few months his hips have been getting weaker (he was a 16 year old border collie) but was still managing fine and was lively and happy. Unfortunately in the past week he began to get worse until last night when his back legs went on him and he could no longer get up, even with help he'd fall back down. The poor boy was in a lot of distress and so with sadness we took him to the vet this morning. He was a lovely friendly boy, if a little clumsy and hyperactive. I'd love to write more but I can't find the words to express just how much we're all going to miss him. :cry:

Good night, Ben. The house already seems empty without you. :cry:

http://homepage.mac.com/lwernham/.Pictures/Ben.jpg

Peter_
04-06-2009, 20:56
To reach 16 he did really well and looked to be a nice dog.:)

You know you did the right thing for him but at the moment you think otherwise.

Bulky
04-06-2009, 20:57
really sorry for your loss , i can't begin to comprehend how i will feel when Zak (my dog) dies :(, must have been really difficult decision to go to the vet even though you knew it was time for him to go , remember the good times as i'm sure over 16 years there were plenty :) .

martyh
04-06-2009, 21:04
I had the same decision about 6 years ago with our Alsatian Sheba it hurt like hell at the time
my commiserations and hope you feel better soon

banjo
04-06-2009, 21:17
I'm so sorry for you, I had a cat that I loved dearly so I know how you feel. God bless.

Hom3r
04-06-2009, 21:19
I know exactly how you feel.

He wasn't a dog, he was a member of the family

joglynne
04-06-2009, 21:19
So sorry to hear about Ben he looks as though he was a great character. I know you will be missing him like crazy but you know you have done the right thing. :hugs:

LondonRoad
04-06-2009, 21:22
Been there so you have my sympathies. Dogs are individuals with their own personality that give so much love and loyalty so it is like losing a member of your family. The grieving process has to be got through but by the looks of him you'll have a lot of happy memories to look back on.

Graham M
04-06-2009, 21:23
Aaaw poor Lew, sorry to hear mate, probably for the best eh

Hugh
04-06-2009, 21:29
Lew, sorry to hear about your sad news - you did the best thing for your dog.

We have had Benji 13 years, and don't look forward to the sad day - my thoughts are with you and your family.

AndyCambs
04-06-2009, 21:35
When I had my dog put to sleep after being ill, I went and found another stray from the local kennels that needed a home... Otherwise the house was so empty.

Kymmy
04-06-2009, 21:40
16 is a good age and by the sound of it he loved every minute of his life..

A couple of years back we lost Ruby a 13yo Siberian Husky in January. Was hard at first especially as we chose to bury her in our field where she used to love chasing bunnies. She's got a nice marker and tree put up in her memory...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/94.jpg

It took us till November that year to get another family member (Timber) and another (Polar) again after 13 months (this new year)... They'll never replace Ruby but we love them just as much especially as they're two rescues from very bad circumstances.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/97.jpg

When you're ready I'm sure that you can give another deserving soul a place in your family :)

icestar2
04-06-2009, 21:49
Sorry to hear that Lew. looked like a beautiful dog and no doubt he will be missed.

Tezcatlipoca
04-06-2009, 21:52
Sorry to hear that, Lew :(

Halcyon
04-06-2009, 23:07
Sorry to hear that Lew.
He seems like a great dog :tu:

bopdude
05-06-2009, 00:33
He looks like he has a spirit of his own, sorry for your loss mate, never easy saying goodbye to a member of the family, and that's what they become, family. It's hard at the moment, I know, try and focus on the memories and be glad for the times you had, clumsy or not, you did what had to be done for his sake, again, not easy, I know.

R.I.P Ben

The Hitman
05-06-2009, 00:49
sorry about the sad news

lucy7
05-06-2009, 07:34
So sad when your dog dies.

I still do not drive past my little dogs vet surgery as it brings backs memories of the sad day.

All the best to you.

:hugs:

Blackened
05-06-2009, 09:47
Sorry for your loss, Lew. It'll take a while to come to terms with it. We lost our dog of 15 years last year. Tore us all apart it did. The hospital she was in was 10 miles away and they rang to say she'd taken a turn for the worst after an operation. I set off immediately but she passed away before I could get to her. That broke my heart. Unlike some, we've not 'replaced' her. I doubt we'll ever have another dog.
You have to remember that even though they're gone, they had the best life possible with you. Try and take some solace from that.

Tinky
05-06-2009, 09:50
Lew so sorry you have lost your gorgeous dog.:(:sorry: Most of us on CF will have been there and can empathise with how you are feeling. I lost my collie a year ago with the same thing, but I was out at the shops and couldn't get him home. It was heartbreaking, still think of him often, he gave us 8 years of love and devotion.

zing_deleted
05-06-2009, 10:11
Had a pet cat when I was a child he was there from birth till he was put down with cancer . I was around 12 at the time and it totally devastated me. That cat was like my best friend (I had a very troubled childhood) It took me over 25 years before I opened my heart for a proper pet (had hamsters and gerbils but they aint the same) of my own Darla my near 2 year staffie. I know the pain you are in remember the good times and I hope you feel better soon :)

superbiatch
05-06-2009, 10:30
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Lew, take some comfort from all your memories of the things he used to get up to. In time, things will get better - i promise. I don't know how i'll cope when I have to make the same decision you did with my staffie, but in the end its better for the dog - we have to put our own feelings aside. RIP Ben xxx

lauzjp
05-06-2009, 11:54
cute dog Lew, sorry to hear that. :(

Stuart
05-06-2009, 12:41
16 is a good age and by the sound of it he loved every minute of his life..

16 is a very good age for a big dog..

A couple of years back we lost Ruby a 13yo Siberian Husky in January. Was hard at first especially as we chose to bury her in our field where she used to love chasing bunnies. She's got a nice marker and tree put up in her memory...

Probably the single hardest decision I have had to make was to have our first Yorkie put down. She was 17, losing her sight and hearing and was getting quite frail.

We'd fitted babygates at both ends of the stairs to stop her going up and down them without someone being present (didn't want to risk her falling).

One night, I got home late from work. Someone had left the gate at the top open and she ran down the stairs to greet me. She slipped, fell down all the stairs and crashed into the baby gate at the bottom. She was screaming. Eventually, she was able to sleep but was still obviously in a lot of pain the next morning. So, we took her to the vet. The vet said she had probably fractured her front paws and he could fix them, but bearing in mind her age, the amount of problems she would have (she would never have fully recovered) and the amount of pain she would be in, he recommended we put her down. It was left to me to make the decision. I believe I made the right (and actually kindest( decision, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt to do so.

We scattered her ashes under her favourite bush in our back garden (she always buried stuff under it and often layed under it in warm weather).
[/quote]
It took us till November that year to get another family member (Timber) and another (Polar) again after 13 months (this new year)... They'll never replace Ruby but we love them just as much especially as they're two rescues from very bad circumstances.
[/quote]

I have found with pets (cats and dogs), while no pet can replace a pet that dies, each one becomes special in their own way.

When you're ready I'm sure that you can give another deserving soul a place in your family :)

True.. We did, and now have one lovely Yorkie (Oscar) who is 13 and a lovely Westie (Emily) who is about 6.

One thing I have found: When you have two dogs (when we had the yorkie I talk about above, we also had another yorkie who had died of old age a couple of years earlier, each dog gets used to having another dog around, and it can be vary hard on them if that dog dies.

Kymmy
05-06-2009, 14:37
One thing I have found: When you have two dogs (when we had the yorkie I talk about above, we also had another yorkie who had died of old age a couple of years earlier, each dog gets used to having another dog around, and it can be vary hard on them if that dog dies.

Yes, but whilst they're together they give each other so much enjoyment..

Timber (5) must get double the exercise just by being chased around the house by the younger Polar (1 1/2)...

Mick Fisher
05-06-2009, 14:48
So sad to hear of your loss Lew. :cry:

I have lost many pets in similar ways over the years and find it gets harder and harder to bear so I can sympathise with how wretched you are feeling right now. :hugs:

Nidge
05-06-2009, 23:31
Sorry to hear of your loss Lew, I'm a dog lover and I'd hate the day when they decide to go, I'd also hate to make the decision to end their life, I know it's all in the best interest of the dog but it still gets to you. He'll be running around in doggy heaven now.

homealone
06-06-2009, 00:40
commiserations Lew - Ben had the best of care & you made the right decision ..

frogstamper
06-06-2009, 03:38
A truly horrible decision to have to make Lew, no matter how hard it must have been it was the last act of love you could have shown Ben.
At sixteen years old that translates into ninety six in "doggy years", a great age indeed.
All the best in these difficult times Lew.

Dude111
07-06-2009, 05:06
I am so sorry for your loss :(

Its hard to lose a loved one :(

God bless you my friend :) Download Failed (1)