PDA

View Full Version : ADSL only works when phone in use

tallymanjohn
04-06-2009, 13:09
This has probably been answered before but a search didn't bring back anything. The problem is that broadband will not work unless the phone is in use - just needs to be off the hook. We've changed the filter (there's only one connected phone) but still no joy, so we figure it must be a line fault, high impedance or whatever. The problem is that it's Virgin ADSL and the phone line is with Sky & neither wants to help - Virgin say their line tests are ok and that it must be a line problem, & Sky aren't interested because voice calls are fine. Is there anything else we can check, & any suggestions about how to get it sorted.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 13:38
You really need a tech to take a look, so I suggest you threaten to disconnect both of them. If they let you leave, do so.

Why do you have a Sky phoneline without their DSL? The only reason to have a Sky phoneline, I thought?

As an afterthought - if you plug another phone in another extension does it add enough signal drop to make the DSL work?

smeagoly1
04-06-2009, 13:44
If the phone socket your using has a test socket, try plugging the filter in there. The test socket looks like a normal BT socket but with a rectangular faceplate above. It's something tech support with BT or VM always ask me if i have had a problem with my VM adsl on a BT line.

You can if you know it, access the routers web page and get current line stats, i.e noise and attenuation levels. Anything out of the norm, should alert tech support when you give them the details. The IP sould be printed underneath your router or with the manuals. My Netgear DG834v3 shows up a host of values for the current line.

But i know your problems, I have both BT and VM bouncing me between each other. One of the true pitfalls of adsl with any provider.

Chris
04-06-2009, 13:54
I've had this happen to me, and it was a line fault. I have Virgin ADSL but thankfully the phone is with BT and the problem also manifested itself as an audible crackle on voice calls, so I was able to get BT out on that pretext. They traced and repaired the fault somewhere down the road and my ADSL was miraculously fixed also.

Paul K
04-06-2009, 14:00
VM should be escalating it to sky talk line (WLR) as a fault so that Sky can get openreach to look at it. Sky talk won't do this as the voice side of the line is fine. It's a situation that also occurs when BT has line rental and a LLU is on the line with ADSL, due to the costs that can occur from the engineer call out neither side want to do their job.

tallymanjohn
04-06-2009, 14:31
Thanks for replies. Already tried plugging straight into the master socket when I swapped filters. The Sky/virgin thing is that was originally with Virgin for broadband but only got Sky 3-4 months ago and didn't want to change e-mail addresses. If no joy then it looks like I will have to start threatening to leave - at least if it's all with Sky I may have a bit more luck. As the problem's only recently started a friend suggested it's the spell of hot dry weather has done something to the underground cables. Shall post if I get a positive result.

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 14:52
Never use ISP email.

Register a gmail address, use it, switch to cheapest provider, take email with you.

Graham M
04-06-2009, 15:12
I've seen this a couple of times, it's normally a problem with the wiring at each end or the wire itself

tallymanjohn
04-06-2009, 15:58
Unfortunately I use e-mail for professional purposes and I've found webmail addresses aren't considered 'proper' - maybe a bit old-fashioned, but remembering the problems with Hotmail addresses in the past I can appreciate this. I'm thinking about getting a domain name set up as they're not expensive which will, of course, be 'transportable'.

That's the trouble with wires - they're always connected (hopefully) to something. ;-)

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 19:27
I understand your feelings about the hotmail "image" problems, but I don't see any difference between that and an @ntlworld or @sky address. Gmail is extensively used in business and you can also use gmail in combination with a registered domain if required.

Just promise me that you'll never give out an ISP email address again ;)

Turkey Machine
04-06-2009, 19:40
Unfortunately I use e-mail for professional purposes and I've found webmail addresses aren't considered 'proper' - maybe a bit old-fashioned, but remembering the problems with Hotmail addresses in the past I can appreciate this. I'm thinking about getting a domain name set up as they're not expensive which will, of course, be 'transportable'.

That's the trouble with wires - they're always connected (hopefully) to something. ;-)

I thought that, and I was told a simple "your.name@yahoo/gmail.com" is acceptable, hence why I have now taken that one in my CV. :)

tallymanjohn
04-06-2009, 19:46
Yes, I agree that it's becoming more commonplace and acceptable, but it's still regarded, in certain circles, as a 'transient' address - similar to the analogy of renting a property or owning a property - out of date, yes, but still taken note of. Also, I still get a lot of spam from bogus webmail and unknown domain addresses - fewer from 'known ISP' addresses.