PDA

View Full Version : ADSL 4-5meg via Ethernet, wireless only 2meg...how to improve?.

BonyTony
04-06-2009, 12:40
I`m on Virgin ADSL using the provided Netgear DG834G v4 modem/router and they say i should be getting around 5meg which I do...well 4-5, but only through the Ethernet connection.

When I use either of my 3 laptops one has a dell wireless card and other an Intel 2200bg card and finally a linksys g usb adaptor i only get a max of 2.2meg. Router has been around my house and nothing improves it.

I thought it might be the router so i swapped it for my old one a Linksys WAG54GS and set it up with help off here :), but its the same...sigh.

Any suggestions on improving on the 2.2meg i get through wireless?, even considering buying a wireless N router and adaptor to see if it improves it...but would like not to spend money.

BonyTony
04-06-2009, 14:50
Tried encryption off still the same.

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 15:10
What wifi channels are you using? Do your neighbours have any wireless access points?

gallego1
04-06-2009, 17:45
I would try using tcpoptimizer to configure the pc/laptop

also try downloading a file from http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ to see what speed you are getting

BonyTony
09-06-2009, 17:41
using ethernet i get no more than 210k download, tried 6am, 4pm and 1am....not staying up that late on a work night to check speed :o:

yet when i used the bt speed test it gave me a throughput of 450k!, that was at 1am, the zen test files still came down at 200k ish....oh and i did them one at time.

caph
09-06-2009, 19:47
I would try using tcpoptimizer to configure the pc/laptop

also try downloading a file from http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ to see what speed you are getting

A word of warning. If you've got Vista, do NOT use TCP Optimiser. You will knacker you connection. If you've got XP or earlier then go for it and prepare to be amazed at the results!

brainier
10-06-2009, 11:16
2.2MB/sec for wireless - thats about right. No problems there. You might get it a bit faster if you are the only person connected at the time.

54Mb/sec routers provide in the region of 3MB/sec (mega bits - Mb vs mega bytes MB). The 2.2meg is not a measurement, that is a description of a size of a file. When refering to bandwidth usage it is always Mb, but when you look at file copy speeds on your network (i.e. web browsing downloads) then it is typically shown in MB/s.

Therefore if you have a 5Mb/sec ADSL connection, and the website you are visiting can deliver content in excess of 5Mb/sec and there is nothing slowing down that connection on the many routers between the web server and you then you will get approx 5Mb/sec download speed IF YOU USE AN ETHERNET CABLE. If you go wifi 802.11b/g (the most common type) then you will be lucky to get 3Mb/s (which, for example is not fast enough for BBC iPlayer HD). If you want a faster wifi connection upgrade your wireless router and network cards to 802.11n supporting equipment.

Brian