PDA

View Full Version : vstuff is the pits

rrowlands01
02-06-2009, 10:45
hi all
have spent hours over the last couple of months trying to upload photos and ony managed about 10 out of over 200 have phoned virgin up but got no joy from them. Have read some of the other postings about v stuff and see there
seams to be lots of problems with vstuff.

or am i doing something wrong. TOTALY MESSED UP HEAD, rrowlands.

Dont think i will bother any more.:confused::confused::confused:

STONEISLAND
02-06-2009, 10:48
:confused: Can you upload photos on to the V+ box, is that what your saying?

Peter_
02-06-2009, 11:40
hi all
have spent hours over the last couple of months trying to upload photos and ony managed about 10 out of over 200 have phoned virgin up but got no joy from them. Have read some of the other postings about v stuff and see there
seams to be lots of problems with vstuff.

or am i doing something wrong. TOTALY MESSED UP HEAD, rrowlands.

Dont think i will bother any more.:confused::confused::confused:
V Stuff help pages
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/vstuff/cable/ (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/vstuff/cable/)

rrowlands01
04-06-2009, 09:58
:confused: Can you upload photos on to the V+ box, is that what your saying?

HI STONE
No, i am not talking about a v+box.
v-stuff is a program for backing up your computor files in case your computor crashes, or some how, you lose all you files to a cp virus. you can supposidley upload your photos or what ever you want to the virgin media web site. But as i have said easyer said than done.

e.g photos, mp3s etc..etc

ro53ben
04-06-2009, 11:04
I tried vstuff backup last night. Took longer to download than it did to realise it was useless, for me at least.

It will only backup data from local, internal, drives. If you store your photos on an external drive...no hope.

rrowlands01
05-06-2009, 14:01
I have a lap top with 120gb internal hard drive tried connected direct to the modem and wireles with no joy from either. Phoned vigin again but was told ther was problems with v-stuff and try again in a few days been told this 3 times now.
have uninstalled v-stuff feel quite relieved now i can get on with my life. lol

Zanny
06-06-2009, 10:25
It will only backup data from local, internal, drives. If you store your photos on an external drive...no hope.

this is very annoying i managed it but only after copying all my photos to an internal drive first, grrrrrr.

ro53ben
07-06-2009, 15:11
I don't have enough space on my system drive, hence why I use external storage.

xpod
07-06-2009, 19:09
I`m not too big on the online backup thing but i do use Dropbox (https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMDAwMTE5) for sharing a few pic`s with family etc.You only get an initial 2G with the free option but you can add to it by inviting others.;)
Or theres Humyo (http://www.humyo.com/).You get a bit more free space at 10G.
If thats still not enough free space then theres always Adrive (http://www.adrive.com/) and their 50G of free space.
Hell,even Gmail & Hotmail add up to a few Gig do they not?.

I happily use Virgin for their Tv,Phone & Broadband they can keep their software and extra`s.

Gadgie
07-06-2009, 21:46
After spending ages trying, I did manage to order some photos to be printed, also had a go at backing up my pictures, but gave up in the end?
Think I will stick with photobucket for storing them?

joglynne
07-06-2009, 22:25
I think I'll be giving V stuff amiss and stick with Dropbox and Google docs as my independent online storage providers.

Although the slow transfer rate does put me off the main reason I am wary of storing anything online with VM is that it would all need to be moved again if I decided to change ISP. I have read several posts in the past where for one reason or other a VM email account has been closed and the user has lost all the emails they have saved.

Or am I wrong in assuming you would loose access to all your stored material the moment your VM BB account was closed?

bodl
10-06-2009, 14:20
It certainly is, I can't even sign in for it, I have moaned and got an upgrade but I am no better off at 10MB I tried lots of times to sign up but it doesn't let me in, so I eventually spoke to Mumbai and told the lady there the exact problem i.e. my account is still showing previous data i.e 2Mb as my speed, this was not on her hymn sheet(sanskrit) she proceeded to try to get access which by surprise worked for her, so I logged on thinking it would all be ok..............clang no nigirf chance
when will they get mupets with brains?:mad:

nutellajunkie
10-06-2009, 15:12
Again Ill say it, why dont virgin give our upload a boost when we use these services? and then again, why would we want to, we would end up using up all our allowance in a few minutes..

Joxer
11-06-2009, 00:28
Or am I wrong in assuming you would loose access to all your stored material the moment your VM BB account was closed?

Read only access is available for a time after the account is closed. Bear in mind it is designed to be backup, so arrange other backup if switching provider.

Marcel
13-08-2009, 19:18
Am just trying to back-up on V-Stuff for the first time and after 3 days its only uploaded about 700MB! What is the problem with this Virgin service? It's hopeless. So much easier to use a portable hard-drive or a few DVD's. At the time it seemed a good idea.

caph
13-08-2009, 19:30
It seems to get stuck. If you look at the detail you'll probably find a whole load of blank lines that it is trying upload.

If you deselect and reselect your backup files you'll probably find it will back up some more before it gets stuck again.

However, I would recommend you ditch it. It's a great idea but it simply doesn't work. I'm using JungleDisk as recommended by someone else on this forum. It can work out cheaper then paying a fiver a month to VM if you're backing up more than 10Gb (but only up to a point!).

zarathustra
03-08-2010, 20:45
I tried vstuff backup last night. Took longer to download than it did to realise it was useless, for me at least.

If you use the 'Storage' option - rather than 'Backup' - you can browse to an external drive. You do lose the automation functionality tho'...

HTH

tuckeratlarge
08-08-2010, 13:29
V-Stuff is dog slow, but I could allow for that as it was eventually backing up my crap.

However, I ditched it because it decided all by itself to keep backing up copy after copy after copy of the same ten files, I ended up with forty odd copies of each. If you goto Virgins forum you will see it's not uncommon and VM don't care.

I use Skydrive now, only need an automatic backup solution because doing it manually is a bit of a pain.

bigsanta11
09-08-2010, 01:20
HI STONE
v-stuff is a program for backing up your computor files in case your computor crashes, or some how, you lose all you files to a cp virus. you can supposidley upload your photos or what ever you want to the virgin media web site. But as i have said easyer said than done.

So how does that work,if you're computer goes t up,how are you going to access an online system to restore your pc ??????

Buy a usb hard disk,and just back your stuff onto that,and create some system image disks on it also for peace of mind,then if you have to restore anything at least you know it's right within easy access .Online storage has too many flaws to be reliable in a crisis,point already proved.

zarathustra
15-08-2010, 19:25
V-Stuff is dog slow, but I could allow for that as it was eventually backing up my crap.

However, I ditched it because it decided all by itself to keep backing up copy after copy after copy of the same ten files, I ended up with forty odd copies of each. If you goto Virgins forum you will see it's not uncommon and VM don't care.

I use Skydrive now, only need an automatic backup solution because doing it manually is a bit of a pain.

You could try Gladinet - I use it these days instead of VStuff. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. It will allow you to automate SkyDrive, Gmail (as a file store) & many others:

http://www.gladinet.com/

HTH ;)

tuckeratlarge
15-08-2010, 22:04
You could try Gladinet - I use it these days instead of VStuff. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. It will allow you to automate SkyDrive, Gmail (as a file store) & many others:

http://www.gladinet.com/

HTH ;)

Unfortunately Gladinet is even slower and a right pain to use. You put things in folders and it only uploads then when it wants. SkydriveExplorer was slightly better as it was real time. It uploaded as soon as you copied to the folders, but still slow.

I manually upload to Skydrive and it's full pelt, so I use that until Miscrosoft intergrates Skydrive into explorer themselves.

zarathustra
17-08-2010, 01:11
[...] until Miscrosoft intergrates Skydrive into explorer themselves.

Now that'd be something... ;)

roughbeast
21-08-2010, 11:16
HI STONE

Why bother using vstuff for photos when there are dedicated photo services like Picasa 3?

I just use vstuff for Office files. It is too slow for anything else.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

Buy a usb hard disk,and just back your stuff onto that,and create some system image disks on it also for peace of mind,then if you have to restore anything at least you know it's right within easy access .Online storage has too many flaws to be reliable in a crisis,point already proved.

I agree. I shadow my system using Acronis working with a network hard drive in the attic. I can restore everything using it's rescue disc. Acronis will even transfer your old system onto a completely new computer with a different spec. You can also access the disc image at any time to restore individual files.

caph
22-08-2010, 11:14
So how does that work,if you're computer goes t up,how are you going to access an online system to restore your pc ??????

It's a data backup service not a bare metal recovery service. You are still responsible for making sure you have working copies of your system recovery disks (or just an O/S disk) in case of O/S HDD failure.

With that in mind, it works like this. PC HDD dies, you whack in a new one and reinstall O/S then install the online backup software and a few hours later all your files are restored and you're back to where you started from. Pretty simple concept really.

There are other perks too:-
> It's off-site so, God forbid, in the event of a house fire the on-line storage is unaffected whereas you would lose your PC and your USB backup HDD and you'd be stuffed.
> It's fully automated, so you don't have to have a USB device (or PC/NAS in the attic!) permanently connected to your PC. Great if you've got a laptop (which I do).
> You can set your files to automatically synchronise between all your PCs (including work and home PCs) so if you alter a document and save it on one PC it will be automatically updated on the other a soon as you switch it on.
> You can access all your data from any PC with an internet connection anywhere in the world.
> You can keep unlimited previous versions of files and access all deleted files indefinitely according to how you configure your settings.

You are right about VStuff having too many flaws, which is why several of us are using other online backup services that don't have any flaws. Online storage is the new backup solution of choice. As it gets cheaper and cheaper, speeds get quicker, and becomes integrated into the O/S, backing up to USB drives/NAS boxes/other PCs will become a thing of the past.

Mick Fisher
22-08-2010, 15:21
Why bother using vstuff for photos when there are dedicated photo services like Picasa 3?

I just use vstuff for Office files. It is too slow for anything else.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

I agree. I shadow my system using Acronis working with a network hard drive in the attic. I can restore everything using it's rescue disc. Acronis will even transfer your old system onto a completely new computer with a different spec. You can also access the disc image at any time to restore individual files.
Another vote for Acronis. :tu: