PDA

View Full Version : Dismal speeds from 9pm~12am

bonobo
31-05-2009, 22:13
I've just been upgraded free from 2MB/s to 10MB/s, and while I can achieve 10MBit/s for most of the day. As soon as traffic management goes off at 9pm, I'm struggling to achieve anything above 1MB/s until at least 12am.

I'm guessing this is because I'm in an oversubscribed area, and after 9pm there isn't enough bandwidth available when everyone starts bittorrent up, etc.

I'm just looking for confirmation that this is the probable cause, and if it is is there anything I can do about it?

I'm also a little concerned about the receive power level on my WebSTAR EPC2100R2, which varies between -7.5 and -8. However I don't experience any disconnects and the speed issue is limited to this specific time.

Sorry for the simple question, I just wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong at my end. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar situation?

Cheers,

Bonobo

Joxer
31-05-2009, 22:24
Power level is fine - should be between -12 and +12.

To check for utilisation I would need you UBR and cable and be at work - you need to phone in.

Peter_
31-05-2009, 22:43
What is the Downstream SNR and the Upstream power levels please post them.

bonobo
31-05-2009, 22:55
Thanks for the reply. I'll try phoning in tomorrow. I'm on UBR05, Small Heath area, and cable 4 (I think, if that's the same as downstream channel ID anyway.)

edit: downstream SNR: 38.7 dB, Upstream Power Level 41.0. Thanks.

Peter_
31-05-2009, 22:58
Thanks for the reply. I'll try phoning in tomorrow. I'm on UBR05, Small Heath area, and cable 4 (I think, if that's the same as downstream channel ID anyway.)

edit: downstream SNR: 38.7 dB, Upstream Power Level 41.0. Thanks.
No real issues their either so probably best to call in and they can run tests on your connection.