PDA

View Full Version : advice on relationship breakup and property

chris26engwales
30-05-2009, 07:07
I split from my ex last July and since have had no contact with him. I have tried contacting him via email 6 times, sent 2 letters, tried phoning on atleast 10 occasions, my sister and father have been around and no answer even though they know he is there and his parents are.

The thing is i have a lot of his property, DVDs, clothes, PS2, PS3, Wii games, books,etc etc and im moving and i really dont wish to take these with me as i want a new start..

if i was to dispose of these say in a charity shop would there be any legal problems as they are not my property?

i have tried to return them as i have stated.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Maggy
30-05-2009, 07:37
Dump it all on his parents doorstep and walk away without looking back. :)

Nidge
30-05-2009, 07:41
I split from my ex last July and since have had no contact with him. I have tried contacting him via email 6 times, sent 2 letters, tried phoning on atleast 10 occasions, my sister and father have been around and no answer even though they know he is there and his parents are.

The thing is i have a lot of his property, DVDs, clothes, PS2, PS3, Wii games, books,etc etc and im moving and i really dont wish to take these with me as i want a new start..

if i was to dispose of these say in a charity shop would there be any legal problems as they are not my property?

i have tried to return them as i have stated.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Chris, this is what I did when I split up with my ex a few years ago, send him a letter stating that his goods are in the property and you'll like them removed if they are not removed then you will dispose of the goods yourself. Give him 14 days from the date of the letter to reply, if he doesn't then you have a right to dispose of them.

chris26engwales
30-05-2009, 07:52
Nidge i did this last year, i give him 19days in which to collect it and i even gibe him the option that i would deliver it and nothing.

Dai
30-05-2009, 09:06
I'd suggest you cover yourself by sending a registered letter to his address making it clear you will dispose of his goods after 14 days.

If you send something that has to be signed for, that way you are protected from any future claim. He can't deny having received the notice.

Once that's done I'd dump it on his doorstep as soon as the 14 days are up.

Chris
30-05-2009, 09:48
Nidge i did this last year, i give him 19days in which to collect it and i even gibe him the option that i would deliver it and nothing.

In which case you have already discharged your responsibilities and you can do whatever you want with the stuff. You could go so far as writing again, recorded delivery, just so you have proof, but the fact is you split with him almost a year ago and no court in the land would take any claim seriously as he will not be able to give an excuse for leaving his stuff with you for a whole year. And that's assuming your ex was suddenly stupid enough to try to sue you for getting rid of his stuff, which seems unlikely.

Peter_
30-05-2009, 10:41
I would dump it on his parents doorstep and then you are covered and have no need to await the non return of a letter as long as it is not to far out of your way.

Plus it will give you great satisfaction and a fantastic feeling of closure.;)

Nidge
31-05-2009, 05:21

Like Chris has mentioned you have covered yourself, dump it on his mothers doorstep or give it to charity.

alferret
31-05-2009, 11:46
Flog the lot and have a drink on your ex, you have given him enough time to sort out collection of the said items, sod him and enjoy the proceeds.

Welshchris
01-06-2009, 01:16
The problem with him dumping the goods on his doorstep would be he can be done for fly tipping. I have heard of this happening a woman split from her husband and he moved back in with his parents and she dumped everything on his parents path in the garden, they made a complaint because it was private property and she was done with tresspassing and flytipping.

Tuftus
01-06-2009, 11:05
Ebay it and as mentioned above, have a drink or two with the proceeds!

:)

Kymmy
01-06-2009, 11:22
I'd send him a registered letter but also add that you're charging them a storage fee, after the expiry you have the right to sell and keep the money as a storage...

joglynne
01-06-2009, 11:39
A friend of my son split up with her boyfriend and he was a pain about clearing his stuff from their shared flat. She repeatedly left messages on his phone and with his parents but he wouldn't collect his things so she warned him and his parents that she was going to dispose of them when she moved the following week.

I understand that he was not very happy about having to buy his stuff back from the charity shop she took it to.

Planetgarb
01-06-2009, 17:38
Dump it on his mums doorstep and take a photo to prove you have returned his goods.
The fly tipping may be of some concern but i dont think it would hold up as you are returning his property :)

Hom3r
01-06-2009, 19:45
Is ther a family near you that would like them?

Times are hard on parents and hard/software might make there day.

lucy7
02-06-2009, 08:10
It is nice that you are actually trying to return his goods, that shows a caring and considerate nature.

As he left nearly a year ago, I would now presume that he does not need or infact want his stuff anymore, so why not let someone else benifit from it, and charity shop it?

Good luck to you in your new place!!