PDA

View Full Version : News.virginmedia problems

bigsanta11
30-05-2009, 00:56
Just tried to enter a few of the well known newsgroups,on the news.virginmedia.com,after a few days off ,mainly these below

virginmedia.discussion.email
virginmedia.support.email
virginmedia.discussion.broadband

And i'm now met with this error below;

" The newsgroup (name from list above) does not appear to exist on news.virginmedia.com. would you like to unsubscribe ? "

Is this widespread?

Joxer
30-05-2009, 01:33
Third one seems OK firdt two need a - between e and mail.

Welshchris
30-05-2009, 01:47
i cannot post on newsgroups either

moaningmags
30-05-2009, 03:29
I just checked and the first and third worked fine but the support.e-mail no longer existed. Did a new search found it in the list and subscribed, appears to be fine now.

Welshchris
30-05-2009, 05:40
i can access them its just i cannot post to them

bigsanta11
30-05-2009, 22:03
The missing - was my mistake on here,i do have the dash there when i look and subscribe to the group,but,as Welshchris has said,you can't post or read the posts,also the last post by someone was on 8th may on virginmedia.discussion.e-mail,25th may on discussion.broadband and 24th may on support.e-mail !

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Now getting this error when i press send after i've composed a message in support.broadband.cable
"A news (nntp) error occurred :posting failed(server error(bad arguments to post validator).)

moaningmags
30-05-2009, 22:07
I think you might need to re-search and re-subscribe to the newsgroups you want to use.

bigsanta11
30-05-2009, 22:36
Just tried your advice,removed all news groups,opened a new account and then searched for ones containing virginmedia,came up with a few of the ones i had previously,some where missing altogether,tried to post in the ones i could subscribe to and just got another error

"message could not be posted because connecting to the news server failed.The server may be unavailable or is refusing connections.Please verify that your news server setting are correct and try again,or contact your network administrator.

These are my settings in thunderbird;

Account name :news.virginmedia.com

Next below ,is my name and then my (fictitious )email address

At the bottom ,outgoing server (SMTP) is my real account details ,followed by -smpt.blueyonder.co.uk (default)

NEXT is server settings and these are;

server type (NNTP)
server name news.virginmedia.com port 119 default 119

security settings,use secure connection (ssl) not ticked

server settings
check for new messages at startup ,not ticked
check for new messages every ,not ticked
ask me before downloading more than ,500 messages,ticked
always request authentication whn connecting to this server,not ticked

newsrc file ;E:\Documents and Settings\..........\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\r3j07x1t.default\News\ne ws.virginmedia.com-1.rc

local directory;E:\Documents and Settings\..........\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\r3j07x1t.default\News\ne ws.virginmedia-1.com

Next is outgoing server (smtp)settings

real account name-smtp.blueyonder.co.uk (default)
using port 25

moaningmags
30-05-2009, 22:53
I have no personal settings anywhere in the nntp account. I don't have the smtp settings in there either.

dr aardvark
01-06-2009, 17:43
newsgroups down for me also

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

and now they're back!

bigsanta11
07-06-2009, 13:22
newsgroups down for me also

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

and now they're back!

The problems have reappeared !

dr aardvark