PDA

View Full Version : A landlord / deposit question...

Tuftus
28-05-2009, 21:22
Hi all!!! :)

My significant other left London so we could get a place together in MK about 7 weeks ago. :)

Anyways to cut to the chase, we left her flat in London as the Landlord was there. The landlord gave my S.O. a cheque for the deposit less a small sum for the cost of a broken light fitting, fair enough.

We were in a bit of a hurry as it was a baank holiday weekend and needed to get to MK to pick up the keys before the letting agency closed. However we did offer to clean the flat before we left, this offer was refused as the landlord said he would prefer to do it himself.

A few weeks later after having moved in to our house in MK, my S.O. recieved a letter from her old landlord complaing about the state of the flat in London and demanding £100 back so that it would be honourable and she could ease her concience.

We both felt that this was utter BS and duly ignored the letter as we both felt we lefft the flat in good general overall condition barring wear and tear.

Now, this evening, I have recieved an email addressed to my S.O. from the old landlord that cc'd in me and all of her friends and family whinging about the fact that he was "really still shocked and upset by this and would be grateful for the reimbursement I suggested."

My question is a simple one.

If we reply to his email basically telling him to 'go away', does he have any legal recourse against my significant other bearing in mind he gave her the deposit on the day she moved out and had plenty of time (an hour and a half) on the day to pick fault with the condition of the flat?

My S.O. is worried that as he knows who our current letting agency is as he gave them a glowing reference so that we could get this place, he could put spanners in our future works so to speak.

Any advice would be most welcome gang!

:)

Chris
28-05-2009, 21:26
He hasn't got a leg to stand on. He gave you the deposit back, in the flat, having refused your offer to clean up! And if you remain at your current flat for any length of time, your new landlord is the only referee you're going to need in future.

If I were you I'd 'reply all' to the email, reminding him (and therefore telling everyone else) of the facts of the case, and that you consider the matter closed.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

... and that you will ignore any future requests for cash.

Tricky
28-05-2009, 21:58
Agree with Chris, sounds like they spoke to someone else in the "business" who asked "Why are you cleaning the flat?", and that they would have made them (You and S.O.) do it before you got your deposit back.

If the deposit was returned then that closes the deal (unless they find the bodies under the floorboards!)

Peter_
28-05-2009, 22:16
Do as Chris says and ensure that you send the email to all recipients of the first email with a note saying if the is any further harassment then you will be speaking to a solicitor.

Tuftus
28-05-2009, 23:24
Thanks for the advice guys...

Much appreciated!

Pog66
29-05-2009, 12:20
would also question why he took "a few weeks" to write to you in teh first place.