PDA

View Full Version : Lag whilst hosting on Xbox LIVE

CableNutter
27-05-2009, 19:17
Hi guys this is my first post on this forum and i hope that someone can help me.
Ok i signed up for Virgin Media back in December with their XL package for Phone, Internet and TV, the speeds have been great ever since.
I get consistent 19 meg off peak and around 12 at peak times, my upload too is consistent always remaining just over 700kbps.

The problem is that when i get chosen for host on Halo 3 (the system picks the best host depending on latency/connection speed) the game will start fine with everyone in green bar (which relates to the ping, green being the best and red the worst) but then without warning the whole game will start lagging with everyone on red bar ping and walking into walls etc.

My friend has Virgin Media and he does not have this problem whilst hosting, his connection remains consistent which means that he is often chosen to host the game (which is what i want)
My modem is the Ambit 256 and i am currently using the Netgear router that Virgin Media supplied, i have tried connecting directly to the modem to rule out the router but the problem remains.

Some modem stats:
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz