PDA

View Full Version : LU postcode - slow browsing

NitinS
25-05-2009, 21:45
Hi guys. Spent a couple of years viewing posts here, and thought don't particularly need to become a member until today. I've experienced slow speeds (no higher than 2 megs) for about 6 weeks now. I'm on 10MB and have complained to VM and they said there was a general problem they were aware of but no timeline for fix. I'll call them tomorrow to ask for more feedback but also wandered whether there was anyone else in the LU postcode suffering as well?
:td:

Peter_
25-05-2009, 21:47
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

mhatter67
25-05-2009, 22:56
Hi guys. Spent a couple of years viewing posts here, and thought don't particularly need to become a member until today. I've experienced slow speeds (no higher than 2 megs) for about 6 weeks now. I'm on 10MB and have complained to VM and they said there was a general problem they were aware of but no timeline for fix. I'll call them tomorrow to ask for more feedback but also wandered whether there was anyone else in the LU postcode suffering as well?
:td:

Hi

I live in the LU2 region of Luton and have no problems with download speeds just done a speed test results show 9.2Mbits

I would ask VM for a ticket no for this general problem as a reference when calling them when it will be fixed in the future

Walford
26-05-2009, 11:04
Posted on News Groups in virginmedia.annouce at 10:54 this morning.

Please find details below of this service affecting issue.

Raised : 26 May, 2009 07:56
Name : Colin Thornton, Outage Surveillence Team
Ticket Number : 994919
Estimated Resolution : 4 Hours
Priority : P1
Services Affected: Broadband Internet, Digital TV

Description :
Customers in the LU3 area of Luton may currently
be experiencing a loss of their broadband Internet
and digital TV. Our engineers are now
investigating this issue.

Virgin Media apologise for any inconvenience
caused.

Virgin Media Technical Support

Updates:
--------

Date : 26 May, 2009 10:54
Name : Colin Thornton
Estimated Resolution : 4 Hours

Description :
On investigation our engineers found that service
was operating normally. We have confirmed with
customers that service is restored. Further
checks and monitoring are being conducted to
ascertain the cause of the interruption to
service.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Virgin Media Technical Support

For more details on service affecting issues, visit our
website at http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

NitinS
26-05-2009, 20:32
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

------
Thanks for the posts below this one. I can now get 8MBish wireless (from broadbandspeedchecker) download which is a big improvement. In terms of responding to this post:

1. I have a Ambit modem model no. E08C013.00.
2. Downstream power level is -8.2 dBmV, and the SNR is 39.1 dB.
3. Upstream power level is 44.0 dBmV.

Apologies if i have got any of the above wrong (i'm not a cable modem techie).

Regards
N

Peter_
26-05-2009, 20:38
Downstream power level is -8.2 dBmV

That is to low and may need a engineer to sort it out so please call Tech Support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walford
27-05-2009, 11:36
That is to low and may need a engineer to sort it out so please call Tech Support.

Or you can contact tech support via news groups. Clicky (http://www.jackkirk.co.uk/vmnews.htm)

Peter_
27-05-2009, 13:19
Or you can contact tech support via news groups. Clicky (http://www.jackkirk.co.uk/vmnews.htm)
Speaking to me can be quicker:D:D:D

werdna12
27-05-2009, 17:50
I live in LU4 area and my 10mb Broadband is awful I have had it about 4 months now (upgraded from 2mb) you can count on 1 hand how many times I have got close to 10mbps usually around 1.5 - 3mbps

I have an ntl250 modem

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV

I know when I have posted on the Virginmedia news groups before they say are aware of an issue (which is on an internal ticket and does not appear on their website) and they do not know when will be resolved.

Just getting annoying now

NitinS
02-06-2009, 21:38

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well finally got time to call up 151 and got through to India.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone running checks, getting me to reboot my laptop, download files to check the transfer rate. I mentioned i had been advised to call 151 and that my downstream rate was low. At minute 46 i was told i needed to reboot my laptop and start again - no particular reason why. At this stage i thought it right to mention it normally takes Virgin 10 minutes to run checks which point whether or not a home visit is necessary. I was told it would cost me £130 to get an engineer to visit as that "someone" hadn't run all his checks yet. Blah Blah Blah. I asked to be put through to customer services and had to re-explain my problems - who then said i needed to talk to technical support to arrange a home visit. Unfortunately there was a long queue. I asked Customer Services email Technical support and get them to email me whether or not an engineer visit would be possible on Friday (my day off!). I have to say i'm normally very calm - but i'm not impressed one bit - i thought support etc was part of the service.... £130 indeed. I'll be posting a complaint via the VM web site.

Peter_
02-06-2009, 21:42
Well finally got time to call up 151 and got through to India.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone running checks, getting me to reboot my laptop, download files to check the transfer rate. I mentioned i had been advised to call 151 and that my downstream rate was low. At minute 46 i was told i needed to reboot my laptop and start again - no particular reason why. At this stage i thought it right to mention it normally takes Virgin 10 minutes to run checks which point whether or not a home visit is necessary. I was told it would cost me £130 to get an engineer to visit as that "someone" hadn't run all his checks yet. Blah Blah Blah. I asked to be put through to customer services and had to re-explain my problems - who then said i needed to talk to technical support to arrange a home visit. Unfortunately there was a long queue. I asked Customer Services email Technical support and get them to email me whether or not an engineer visit would be possible on Friday (my day off!). I have to say i'm normally very calm - but i'm not impressed one bit - i thought support etc was part of the service.... £130 indeed. I'll be posting a complaint via the VM web site.
It should take less than 10 minutes to run most checks.

A charge of £130 for an engineer is a new one I must admit.:D

I would advise you to call in the morning as you are most likely to get a UK call centre.