PDA

View Full Version : Speed usage question.

ThunderPants73
23-05-2009, 17:50
Hi guys,

I don't really know much about broadband and I am curious why 50mb broadband is so attractive? What do all you 20 and 50mb subscribers use the bandwidth for? Personally I have had 10mb for about four months now and I am constantly impressed (I know, doesn't take much, does it?)

chickendippers
23-05-2009, 18:02
It's designed for multiple members of the household doing things simultaneously; VoIP phone, online gaming, streaming video, download etc.

DigitalShadow
23-05-2009, 19:46
it is very easy to swamp 20mbit with current useage.. for example, if i buy a game on steampowered.com - for example GTA IV - then that 10gb download will take a fair few hours on 20mbit, even if I manage to do it after 9pm and avoid the STM.

Walford
24-05-2009, 09:50
Hi guys,

I don't really know much about broadband and I am curious why 50mb broadband is so attractive? What do all you 20 and 50mb subscribers use the bandwidth for? Personally I have had 10mb for about four months now and I am constantly impressed (I know, doesn't take much, does it?)

I'm too impressed with 10MB and think the package is just right for me. I'm always getting STM'ed but even upgrading to 20MB would still mean getting STM'ed. I usually download 5GB which I don't consider to be a lot. :D

broadbandking
24-05-2009, 09:54
Hi guys,

All depends really some people use it for multi house use some want bragging rights some for business use, me I use it cuz work offer it me at a cheaper rate.

General Maximus
24-05-2009, 17:25
perfect example dude, I logged into Steam last Wednesday evening to find two of my friends were playing a new zombie fps called Killing Floor which was released that week. They sent me a message telling me how fab it is so I thought I would buy it as well so I could play with them. I whacked in my card details and bought the game and downloaded the 1.6gb at 4.5mb/sec so it was done in a couple of mins, which is how everyone would like it ideally. There is nothing worse than waiting for a game to download when you know your friends are playing it without you :( If i did it on a 10mbit connection it would have taken at least 30 mins. You can say the same thing for game updates and stuff when they come out. It isnt just illegal file downloading that you need the juice for these days, as things become more advanced and detailed they take up more space so rather than keeping your connection speed constant, file size increases and taking longer to download, you adjust your connection speed proportionally so larger files still take the same amoung of time to download.

chrispuk2004
24-05-2009, 17:36
All depends really some people use it for multi house use some want bragging rights some for business use, me I use it cuz work offer it me at a cheaper rate.

Is 50 Meg on the staff pack then?

Peter_
24-05-2009, 17:38
Is 50 Meg on the staff pack then?
No not available on the staff package as yet and he was a triallist.

broadbandking
25-05-2009, 09:24
Cheers moldova yeah I was a trialist well I am until 28th then back to 20Mb which is fine for what I use I get to keep the new modem and router