PDA

View Full Version : Would you take the money and run?

joglynne
23-05-2009, 14:37
The recent story in the news about a couple who disappeared after a banking blunder deposited NZ$10m (£3.9m, US$6m) in their account started us all thinking last night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8060681.stm

I know I wouldn't have done the same as this couple, seeing £3.9m appear on a bank statement would have got me on the phone to the bank immediately but would I do the same if a more modest sum appeared?

There were half a dozen of us discussing this last night and most said that, if a smaller amount was involved they would have been very tempted to sit back and see if the bank noticed it's error but when the definition of what constituted a smaller amount was discussed we all found that we had wildly differing views. One neighbour would have been happy to take no action if anything under £1000 appeared whilst I would have sleepless nights if I didn't report anything over £10. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/07/7.gif

What amount would you "adopt" as your own in the hopes of never having to pay it back? Would you spend, spend, spend? Would you take the money and run? Or would you just contact the bank about their error?

WHISTLED
23-05-2009, 14:44
It doesnt say how much they actually took, and as you cant pop into a branch to withdraw £3.9m or anything like that I suspect it wasnt enought to live on for the rest fo their lives.

icestar2
23-05-2009, 14:47
It doesnt say how much they actually took, and as you cant pop into a branch to withdraw £3.9m or anything like that I suspect it wasnt enought to live on for the rest fo their lives.

Maybe they transferred it into another account ?

BenMcr
23-05-2009, 14:51
No I wouldn't

Yes it would be nice to have more cash, but having to always look over your shoulder for the police would be far too stressful

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Although one of the companies I worked for overpaid me by £1k one month and never asked for it back (even though I told them 4 times about it)

joglynne
23-05-2009, 15:21

Well it looks like they may have tried that as ....Westpac Bank has recovered some of the money which had been inappropriately withdrawn....... and the couple may have thought that transferring the money to various other banks/accounts would have broken the £3.9m down into more unnoticeable amounts not realising their paper trail could be followed.

One of our friends had the bright idea of putting it into his esavings account in the hope of making some interest before he had to pay the original amount back. Even a week or so would give him a couple of free nights out. :D

Stuart
23-05-2009, 15:24

I don't know the ins and outs of the banking system, but I understand that transferring that amount of money would set off all sorts of alarms within the banking system.

BenMcr
23-05-2009, 15:25
You are normally limited to between 10,000 and 100,000 a day between your own accounts (depending how much of a 'premier' customer you are)

Kymmy
23-05-2009, 15:31
The question boils down to "would you break the law or not" as it would be illegal to keep the money

Maggy
23-05-2009, 15:35
No I wouldn't..who wants to go on the run? You would end up spending most of the money running away. :erm:

joglynne
23-05-2009, 15:41
But would any of you leave the money sat in your bank account getting interest until it was reclaimed?

Maggy
23-05-2009, 15:42
But would any of you leave the money sat in your bank account getting interest until it was reclaimed?

Without telling the bank? No but I'd leave it until they sorted matters out.;)

budwieser
23-05-2009, 15:46
I found £2000 in used notes in a car that came in for repair with us.
It had been stolen and involved in a police chase and ended up being crashed, the thieves didn`t realise that under the drivers floormat was an envelope with 2 grand in it.!:)
The owner used to deal cash in hand antiques and said he forgot it was there:erm:, still, he gave me £100 for handing it back to him, i was sorely tempted to keep it though i must admit.:D

NoKnowledge
23-05-2009, 16:31
The problem with this is people are forgetting this is an overdraft and not money just put in error. They applied for a overdraft which means the bank is lending and they were meant to be borrowing to be paid back at some point.

Kymmy
23-05-2009, 16:39

You'd find that once they realised the mistake it would be taken back as though the money never existed (i.e..no interest)

joglynne
23-05-2009, 16:44
You'd find that once they realised the mistake it would be taken back as though the money never existed (i.e..no interest)

Now that's a shame. :D

icestar2
23-05-2009, 16:59

What if you'd transfered the money into another account at another bank ? Would they be able to take the intrest back you made there ? I dont think they would but I dont know obviously.

BenMcr
23-05-2009, 17:00
Proceeds of Crime order ;)

Welshchris
23-05-2009, 17:28
my bank once accidently deposited £100,000 instead of £10,000 in my account after i banked a Cheque, when i went to see them about it the woman on the desk said to me "well what shall we do about it?" lol

Nidge
24-05-2009, 08:13
my bank once accidently deposited £100,000 instead of £10,000 in my account after i banked a Cheque, when i went to see them about it the woman on the desk said to me "well what shall we do about it?" lol

LOL makes you laugh doesn't it??:D

WHISTLED
24-05-2009, 08:56
If I could get the full £3.9m I might consider it, plenty of countries that would be happy to have you with that cash and would never deport you (extradition etc)

Halcyon
24-05-2009, 23:03
Seeing as banks rip us off enough already, I'd leave it there or switch it to another account. Leave it for a few years. If by then nothing has been done, then use it.
I wouldnt spend it straight away as you just know they'd find out and you'd have all of that money to repay.
Plus having that money sitting in your account will earn interest too which is good.

Sadly, I can't see myself ever being so lucky to get a huge amount of money.

wigro
25-05-2009, 00:43
Just got myself debt free after i dont know how many years .

I agree with Maggs , youd have to spend allot running .

Not havin to look over your shoulder is priceless.

tweetypie/8
25-05-2009, 10:39
The recent story in the news about a couple who disappeared after a banking blunder deposited NZ$10m (£3.9m, US$6m) in their account started us all thinking last night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8060681.stm

I know I wouldn't have done the same as this couple, seeing £3.9m appear on a bank statement would have got me on the phone to the bank immediately but would I do the same if a more modest sum appeared?

There were half a dozen of us discussing this last night and most said that, if a smaller amount was involved they would have been very tempted to sit back and see if the bank noticed it's error but when the definition of what constituted a smaller amount was discussed we all found that we had wildly differing views. One neighbour would have been happy to take no action if anything under £1000 appeared whilst I would have sleepless nights if I didn't report anything over £10. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/07/7.gif

What amount would you "adopt" as your own in the hopes of never having to pay it back? Would you spend, spend, spend? Would you take the money and run? Or would you just contact the bank about their error?

no i wouldnt,its not mine to take and i dont beleive you could have any luck with that kind of money.

joglynne
25-05-2009, 11:31
Well my pondering at the cost of my honesty seems to have paid off. Rather than tempt me with £10 worth of sleepless nights because of misbegotten gains the fates have granted me a £10 Lotto win. :D

lucy7
28-05-2009, 20:40
I found £2000 in used notes in a car that came in for repair with us.
It had been stolen and involved in a police chase and ended up being crashed, the thieves didn`t realise that under the drivers floormat was an envelope with 2 grand in it.!:)
The owner used to deal cash in hand antiques and said he forgot it was there:erm:, still, he gave me £100 for handing it back to him, i was sorely tempted to keep it though i must admit.:D

Temtation is good for us!
You were rewarded in a financial way, but I bet the fact that you were so honest was more of a reward!

frogstamper
01-06-2009, 23:36
Well my pondering at the cost of my honesty seems to have paid off. Rather than tempt me with £10 worth of sleepless nights because of misbegotten gains the fates have granted me a £10 Lotto win. :D

Just think Jo your honesty has probably booked your place in heaven.;)

joglynne
02-06-2009, 00:24
Just think Jo your honesty has probably booked your place in heaven.;)
I don't know about heaven but it did buy me 2 bags of compost. Any how it's like the saying goes "Gardeners don't get old and die...they just go to pot !!" :D

Dude111
02-06-2009, 02:20
I don't know the ins and outs of the banking system, but I understand that transferring that amount of money would set off all sorts of alarms within the banking system.Yes you would think a manager would be notified straight away!!