PDA

View Full Version : Unusable Connection after 9pm (Wolverhampton)

Sen3ra
22-05-2009, 02:57
Heya Guys.

I have a serious problem with my connection and im at my witts end with what to do next.

For the past 10 months my connection after 9pm goes from 10mb down to 0.5/1mb and stays there for one to two hours, this happens everynight apart from Fridays and the odd Saturday but any other night it happens without fail.

Now at first i thought i was breaking the fair usage policy so i tightened my usage and didnt even visit youtube and the sort after 4pm but it still continued.

Ive only ever managed to get through to India with my calls and everytime im told that its fair usage, traffic shaping or other customers close to me who are hammering their connections and im getting whats left of the bandwidth but i want to know why is it happening to me and why is it always at the same specific time frame of 9pm till 10pm?

My latest call took place tonight and 1st i was told it was paranoia and it was all in my head and then he would send a signal to my router to fix the problem. what sort of signal would he be sending and what would it do to help?

I use my connection for online gaming, specificly World or Warcraft and this connection drop is enough to push my latency from 30ms regular to 1500ms during the troubles and will cause me to disconnect/lag out regularly every 10 mins so i know im not imagining it.

i regularly run speed tests at speedtest,net and this is what i always see..
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/05/40.png
Note that my Upload always stays a constant 0.50mb so im sure im not being limited due to breaking the fair usage policy.

Modem is the original SB5100 from the telewest era.

So guys, What should i do next, is there any specific jargon i need to throw at them next time i call to explain my problem better or should i just find a better ISP?

Thanks for reading and also for any further replies.

broadbandking
22-05-2009, 09:05
PM me your postcode.

Sen3ra
22-05-2009, 16:26
After talking with Mr King i decided to look elsewhere and called virgin up to cancel my connection.

Was given a very hard sell to stay and ive been booked an apointment to talk with a Mr Ramsbottom, apparently he is the be all and end all on getting somthing fixed.

Fingers crossed.

broadbandking
22-05-2009, 19:08
What confusing me if your on the 10Mb service the issues with capicity should have been helped with the DOCSIS 1.1 move as the 20Mb users should have been moved.

DigitalShadow
22-05-2009, 20:26
probably as the stm stops, people go crazy downloading everything at 9pm.

TOF1998
22-05-2009, 20:40
Same Here WV4.....
The past few nights have been terrible after 9.00pm
Very Erratic Download speeds..........Dont even have to come anywhere near the maximum aloud downloads...
All is fine in the early hours of the morning ie: 1.00 or 2.00 am
But as the OP said ....This week has been a nightmare

Cheers

Brian

ps.......I live too far away from tel exchange to move providers, otherwise i would have...... ages ago

Ignitionnet
23-05-2009, 13:44
What confusing me if your on the 10Mb service the issues with capicity should have been helped with the DOCSIS 1.1 move as the 20Mb users should have been moved.

But have they been moved? I think some areas it's not been done and is done on an 'as and when' basis depending on capacity requirements in each area.

According to the web page at least some of Wolverhampton has had the 2-10 uplift which obviously would have done wonders for any capacity issues.

The other thing this illustrates is how stupid STM is when you're in an area with people who are savvy enough to avoid it, they just wait until 9pm then the whole node grinds to a halt.

Have to remember in ex-TW land even with the 20M customers moved it only takes 4 customers to congest things on one downstream.

cook1984
25-05-2009, 23:26
To be honest there is probably no way VM can fix things for you, short of spending money on the UBR which they are pretty unlikely to do.

The reason it all goes to pot at 9pm is that is when traffic shaping (throttling) stops. Everyone has their uTorrent/Azureus/eMule/nzb downloader set to automatically kick in at exactly 9pm. Rather than improving your connection all VM have managed to do with STM is make it unusable after 9pm.

It's a similar story here in Portsmouth, although not quite as bad. You can see speeds drop bang on 9pm (dead on 3pm too).

Complaining is futile if you expect them to fix it. A better bet is to get your bill reduced until the problem goes away, which might be quite a while.

DigitalShadow
26-05-2009, 16:05
It's a similar story here in Portsmouth, although not quite as bad. You can see speeds drop bang on 9pm (dead on 3pm too).

Not once have I seen a drop in speed. Where are you? I'm in southsea.

cook1984
26-05-2009, 19:38
I'm on the Cosham UBR.

Bang on 9pm ping times double or tripple, and download speeds dip by anywhere between 5 and 80%. Give it a couple of hours or so and things recover as people's downloads finish.

fugu
26-05-2009, 21:07
Not once have I seen a drop in speed. Where are you? I'm in southsea.

I had this from November last yr til about 6 weeks or so ago, then over night it was fixed. Just off albert rd.

idi banashapan
26-05-2009, 23:13
I'm getting this in Hertfordshire (SG1) at the moment - REALLY annoying. ****-poor connection. paying for 20Mb, currently lucky to get 1Mb consistently.

cook1984
27-05-2009, 10:27
I had this from November last yr til about 6 weeks or so ago, then over night it was fixed. Just off albert rd.

All the students are finishing now.

DigitalShadow
27-05-2009, 11:54

about 6 weeks ago they knocked most the cloners off the network, only the die hard cloners are putting up with the kangaroo service they are left with

cook1984
29-05-2009, 15:51
about 6 weeks ago they knocked most the cloners off the network, only the die hard cloners are putting up with the kangaroo service they are left with

Ah yes, that's true. I guess we will have a few weeks more before fixes start leaking out onto the forums.

100meg
29-05-2009, 22:19

there not kangaroo`ing for those that know what there doing

it just the dealers cant be asked to deal with there customers complaing while VM play

the die hard cloners are online and staying online

but it proves one thing iv said many times that now most are off line VM cant blame there crap over subscribed service on the clones no more :D