PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt downloads through Netgear router

Fuzzer
21-05-2009, 00:10
Hi guys

Here's my problem, sorry for the very long post, I figured the more information I can give the better. :)

I'm with Virgin Media in Manchester, new customer in November 2008, on 20mb broadband and 'medium' phone package.

I've had about 5 months of problem-free internet use on this service, and then a couple of weeks ago, I had a problem downloading a demo on my Playstation 3 console - the file downloaded, but there was an error when trying to install it.

Initially I thought it was a problem with the console itself, but then I also realised that streaming video on the Xbox was suffering from distortion, and downloads on the PC (such as .MPGs, large ZIP or RAR files) were also corrupt.

These devices are wired to the router, a Netgear WGR614v9 (supplied by Virgin media).

We also have a Nintendo Wii, which is wireless, and this is now also encountering problems with online services - for example, it cannot successfully download and install a system update - with his permission, I 'borrowed' my neighbour's wireless signal to successfully do this, so nothing wrong with that console either.

Connecting the wired devices directly (individually) to the modem rectifies the problem and so I think the problem definately lies with the Netgear Router. (This 'solution' of course is no good for wireless devices).

I called Virgin Media support, and the helpline person said that he'd not heard of this problem, and they promptly sent me a replacement router - which arrived today and unfortunately is operating in exactly the same way.

What I can't understand here, is that everything was fine for 5 months. I've not changed any settings or modified anything in any way. I've since tried the obvious things - resetting, restoring factory defaults, turning off SPI, lowering MTU, even port forwarding - with no luck.

The router (and the one before it) won't update its firmware - it gives a 'check your file' message, even if the file is downloaded directly through the modem.

It's driving me crazy. If anyone can offer some friendly advice, I'd really appreciate it. :D

I've no idea what any of the following means, but it seems the norm to cut 'n' paste it, so here goes! :dunce:

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : MOD EDIT:Bad idea to post this
Serial Number :MOD EDIT:Bad idea to post this
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9

Acquire a Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 65
Downstream Frequency : 298750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 17.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.1 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 39.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK 16QAM 16QAM
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 64 128 128 144 160
Preamble Value Offset 140 6 6 216 216
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 5 10
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 78 235
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 2 0 0 8 0
Guard Time Size 8 48 48 8 8
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 3044
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

Welshchris
21-05-2009, 00:26
have u tried resetting the settings of the router back to factory defaults?

homealone
21-05-2009, 00:38
your 'downstream receive' power level is way out, afaik - which will probably need a tech to visit ??

It would be a good idea to edit out your mac addy & serial no in your modem info, above :)

Fuzzer
21-05-2009, 00:39
have u tried resetting the settings of the router back to factory defaults?
Yes, tried that.

your 'downstream receive' power level is way out, afaik - which will probably need a tech to visit ??

It's too high, I think? Could this cause corruption through the router?

homealone
21-05-2009, 00:45
It's too high, I think? Could this cause corruption through the router?

in my opinion, yes it could ..

moaningmags
21-05-2009, 00:47
The firmware on the router is locked in, you can't update it.
Which channel is it broadcasting on? Try channels 1 and 11, 6 is usually rubbish.

Fuzzer
21-05-2009, 01:10
The firmware on the router is locked in, you can't update it.
Which channel is it broadcasting on? Try channels 1 and 11, 6 is usually rubbish.

Tried that, thanks. :(

Wired is corrupted, too, though.

Tarantella
21-05-2009, 03:51
Do Sony have a recommended list of routers compatible with their playstation and does the netgear website say that particular router is compatible with the playstation?

When replacing my old modem with this model for use with an Xbox360 I noticed that not all the the versions of the 614 were quoted as compatible and settled for the v7. This just may be a delay between changes taking place and the checking out of router performance by the manufacturers but lifes too short to wait and vendors dont always know the ins and outs of the performance of a particular software versions of a particular router either. (What do they do with their time?:) )

Fuzzer
21-05-2009, 08:37
Do Sony have a recommended list of routers compatible with their playstation and does the netgear website say that particular router is compatible with the playstation?

When replacing my old modem with this model for use with an Xbox360 I noticed that not all the the versions of the 614 were quoted as compatible and settled for the v7. This just may be a delay between changes taking place and the checking out of router performance by the manufacturers but lifes too short to wait and vendors dont always know the ins and outs of the performance of a particular software versions of a particular router either. (What do they do with their time?:) )

Can't find a list of recommended routers from Sony.

EVERYTHING (all 3 consoles and the PC) were downloading fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

:(

Zhadnost
21-05-2009, 10:03
Hi guys
Acquire a Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Downstream Receive Power Level : 17.6 dBmV

You have been moved over to the new equipment (which may explain your difference in service), the DS receive power is too high.

This will need a tech visit, it doesn't however explain what you've been seeing.

Post those figures on the newsgroups and they should arrange a visit.

Fuzzer
21-05-2009, 10:31
Thanks, fellas.

I was on to VM S this morning, they referred me to Netgear TS, who referred me back to VM TS. :mad:

I told them about the DS rec power, and they told me it was ok. :confused:

They're apparently sending me a replacement modem, to go with the replacement router. :rolleyes:

The newsgroups seem like a good option.

Fuzzer
26-05-2009, 17:15
Update: Problem solved!

VM sent me a replacement modem.

Unconvinced, I swapped it and... voila! Everything is back to normal.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.1 dBmV (much better).

So, the problem was with the modem all along, not the router.

A big thank you to Zhadnost for helping me out, and cheers to everyone else who responded to my post.