PDA

View Full Version : Electrical (Dangerous?)

Barewolf
20-05-2009, 12:47
Hi,

I can’t help but be a bit concerned regarding some LED strip lighting I ordered from this company.
I spent £220 for the lighting, and when it arrived it had a 12v Power supply similar to something you would use for a mobile phone with a connector on the end.
The strips themselves look fine, at the end is 2 wires which go into a plastic case, immediately looking at the power supply I was confused as to how this connects to the LED strip, until I looked at the instructions (Attached) which state I have to cut the end off to connect the wires together.
Firstly, is this safe? I mean there’s 240 volts going from the socket, and the adapter says 12volts, I’m no electrician, to me if you mess with wiring you're messing with your life. If I did cut the end off and connected it with tape is this going to be sufficient to stop a fire or any shocks? Also would this type of installation cause the electricity switchboard to cut out as it has a safety feature?
Not happy with this at all.

Kymmy
20-05-2009, 12:50
the transformer will be fully isolated so all you have is the 12V and not mains voltage..

Just remember to have it unplugged when you do the cutting so you don;t short out the supply (voltage is fine to touch with your hands as it's way below the voltage needed to counteract skin resistance (about 50v))

Also make sure that if the supply is DC that it tells you which way round the wires go (no need to be fussy for AC 12v)

Stuart
20-05-2009, 12:54
You should not connect the two wires together with tape. You should use a proper electrical terminal block, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=42654 from maplin. If you buy those, just cut off the connectors you need.

Kymmy
20-05-2009, 13:30
By the look of it the instructions seem to indicate that a connector block is provided (hard to see in the picture as the contrast is poor but there is one there)

Barewolf
20-05-2009, 16:29
theres a connector block yes, im just worried about the way its wired up

Chris
20-05-2009, 16:42
You really don't have anything to worry about. 12v won't hurt you and it won't start a fire. Connect the wires via a connector block as others have already said, and you'll be fine.

Kymmy
20-05-2009, 16:43
Don't be it's low voltage...

What I would do personally is test it out using the connector block and if OK then solder/heatshrink the wires... But as I used to be an electronic tech that's not a suprise ;)

Barewolf
20-05-2009, 17:15
Ok, thanks guys, better to be safe than sorry. :)

Turkey Machine
20-05-2009, 21:33
You really don't have anything to worry about. 12v won't hurt you and it won't start a fire. Connect the wires via a connector block as others have already said, and you'll be fine.

Think Mika Hakkinen would take issue with that, as the wiring in his trophy cabinet started a fire that burnt his mansion down, and took his tortoise with it!

Chris
20-05-2009, 21:47
:erm:

Kymmy
20-05-2009, 22:12
Think Mika Hakkinen would take issue with that, as the wiring in his trophy cabinet started a fire that burnt his mansion down, and took his tortoise with it!

I'lll state again that the 12v from these units will not start a fire, instead the primary (220/110)side if it goes faulty will have enough energy to start a fire...

:rolleyes:

AbyssUnderground
21-05-2009, 00:00
A 12v arc CAN and WILL start a fire if enough heat is generated. Do not be fooled, I've seen it happen. Its not the voltage that causes the problems, its the current. A 9v square battery can start a fire given the right conditions. Always use a connector block and always make sure the connection is well made and very secure.

Kymmy
21-05-2009, 00:28
Yes and the psu he has is probably capable of only a few hundred milliwatts giving about 3w power...come on people lets not scaremonger when the situation is very simplistic.

If he was attaching the device to a 70AH car battery with 300AH+ shorting capability then yes I'd agree...

Stuart
21-05-2009, 11:26
Although I have seen an incorrectly attached SCSI ribbon cable catch fire. Thankfully, the flame shot up one of the centre wires and went out when it reached the end.