PDA

View Full Version : Drive off without paying

Escapee
16-05-2009, 18:01
I had my mother all upset on the phone earlier, she had a police officer at the house last night claiming that a well know supermarket would be taking her to court for driving off without paying for fuel. She is a bit of a worrier and I know she will loose a lot of sleep over it.

She informed the officer that she went in and paid £20 in cash, the officer claimed they had CCTV evidence that she did not and the supermarket had a policy of taking people to court. She began to panick and got very upset about it, she turned her handbag inside out and went through the bin... Fortunately she found the receipt for trhe correct amount, with the correct date and time.

The police claimed they would be returning today but have so far not turned up, it maybe because she has been to the store and played hell with them about it.

The main thing that she is worried about is people thinking she actually did it, as there are people working there who know her and she is worried the wrong story will get around.

I Think whoever made the mistake and pointed the finger in the wrong direction should loose their job.:mad:

Scrubbs
16-05-2009, 18:15
That's right.... every one who "makes a mistake" should lose their job...:rolleyes:

I am guessing you have only your mothers half of the story?
Have you reviewed the tape yourself? It may "look" like there has been a genuine mistake.
It is also possible the store will actually apologise and offer some small compensation.

That will be a lot of good to the person who has lost a job because your mother was upset

superbiatch
16-05-2009, 18:18
It is also possible the store will actually apologise and offer some small compensation.

I agree and besides shop staff get enough stick as it is, mistakes do happen and I'm sure if it is one - the person who made it will have to apologise.

I hope she gets it all sorted out soon though, probably some idiot done a drive off at exactly the same time so they will have to check their till records and corresponding cctv to see who also put £20 in around the same time.

Escapee
16-05-2009, 18:34
That's right.... every one who "makes a mistake" should lose their job...:rolleyes:

I am guessing you have only your mothers half of the story?
Have you reviewed the tape yourself? It may "look" like there has been a genuine mistake.

That will be a lot of good to the person who has lost a job because your mother was upset

'My mothers half of the story' I assume you mean the facts and not accusation from the garage?

She has been to the garage this morning with the reciept showing the correct time, date and correct amount. The shift manager refused to apologise for the error stating the matter is on the hands of the police. I guess it just goes to show that she would be looking at a day in court if she had thown away the reciept.

ps. I have heard similar of someone accused of stealing in a shop, the CCTV evidence claimed did not exist because the system was not working. It makes m wonder if they just made a note of the car they thought had driven off, and do not actually have any CCTV footage to view !

I wonder how many people pay small amounts in cash for items and keep the reciept just in case they are accused of being a thief!

As an honest person who has never stolen from a shop, garage etc etc, I would expect the accuser to be dealt with if I was wrongly accused of being a thief. I would certainly do all I could to make sure everyone knew I was wrongly accused.

zing_deleted
16-05-2009, 18:38
I would be straight to the local press and id write to head office until some form of apoligy is made.

Raistlin
16-05-2009, 18:38
Your mother needs to:

Stay calm.

Write to the supermarket manager.

Explain exactly what happened, clearly.

Copy the receipt and send the copy to them.

Tell them that she wants them to investigate, and that she want written confirmation from them that they a) don't intend to continue to pursue her for the money, b) agree that she has already paid, c) will notify the police accordingly, and d) apologise for the upset caused.

Dai
16-05-2009, 19:25
Your mother needs to:

Tell them that she wants them to investigate, and that she want written confirmation from them that they a) don't intend to continue to pursue her for the money, b) agree that she has already paid, c) will notify the police accordingly, and d) apologise for the upset caused.

and e: Provide an amount in compensation for their sloppy management. I'd suggest x100 the amount involved would be appropriate.

Peter_
16-05-2009, 19:38
I would be straight to the local press and id write to head office until some form of apoligy is made.
I am fully with Zing on this phone the local paper and see if you can get your mum on the front page holding the receipt and the supermarket will come cap in hand with an apology.

Gary L
16-05-2009, 20:03
She has been to the garage this morning with the reciept showing the correct time, date and correct amount. The shift manager refused to apologise for the error stating the matter is on the hands of the police.

I'd let it go to court personally.

Stuart
16-05-2009, 20:11
Your mother needs to:

Stay calm.

Write to the supermarket manager.

Explain exactly what happened, clearly.

Copy the receipt and send the copy to them.

I'd agree with the above, with the exception that she should actually be writing to the head office, and complain about the manager of the store.

I also agree with the statements above about how we treat shop workers. Some people (not all or even a lot) treat any customer facing employees like dirt. I worked for Blockbuster, and I was reguarly shouted at, sworn at and even threatened because another employee (or the system) had done something the customer didn't like, and they just came in to intimidate the first person they saw.

Escapee
16-05-2009, 20:32

But that's the problem! Now the police have seen the reciept they are not interested.

She is annoyed that the officer said 'you did not pay for your fuel' There was no mention of evidence or that they 'suspected' she did not pay.

Now there will be no further action against her and anyone hearing about it will just think she was guilty.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

I'd agree with the above, with the exception that she should actually be writing to the head office, and complain about the manager of the store.

I also agree with the statements above about how we treat shop workers. Some people (not all or even a lot) treat any customer facing employees like dirt. I worked for Blockbuster, and I was reguarly shouted at, sworn at and even threatened because another employee (or the system) had done something the customer didn't like, and they just came in to intimidate the first person they saw.

I would not expect to treat a shop worker like that if I was unhappy with the company or service, however in the case of something personal like being accused of being a thief I would take a very different view.

I have been to see my parents and seen the reciept, I even pointed out about the 'Club Points' that also prove her payment.:D

The officer even said to her that he told the accuser after viewing the CCTV footage that 'my mother did not look like the type'. We are suspecting that although they have CCTV footage of my mother walking to and from the shop to pay, they probably do not have CCTV working at the tills.

I mentioned that they may of made a mistake and the payment was made against another pump. (That was me having a go at her for probably being dizzy) She said, when I paid I said 'Pump 5 the Blue Pugeot' so that seems to count that one out.

My parents suspect that it was possibly a car in front of them. When they pulled in a woman had come from the shop and got in her car, she pulled forward to another pump and filled with fuel. We are wondering if she had also put fuel in at the first pump (one my parents used) and not paid for it. They said they onlynoticed this womens antics because she had a badly behaved kid running riiot and they had the impression from her look and accent that she was possibly a gypsy.

She is still waiting for an apology, all the garage has said so far today is they are still investigating, even though my mother has proof of payment.:mad:

lauzjp
16-05-2009, 21:29
eek, your poor Mum. :(

I would go to the local paper personally, and complain to the head office.

Escapee
16-05-2009, 23:44
eek, your poor Mum. :(

I would go to the local paper personally, and complain to the head office.

I have unofficially, I have a friend at Cardiff Head office who I have provided the reciept details. They are in a position to make sure it is investigated correctly and will be able to obtain the cashiers details from the reciept.

I was on the phone to her and was just about to tell her what my mother said, and she spouted out exactly what my mother said.

She said 'I noticed the staff were too busy talking to serve when I last went in there, their mind is not on the job'

She said she was tempted to comlain about them at the time. I am hoping she will be onto the manager on Monday to get their backsides kicked.

Dude111
17-05-2009, 09:52
I hope your mum can get out of this somehow!!

Good luck!

Pia
18-05-2009, 09:34
Lol i doubt she needs to "get out of it", she's innocent :p:

Chris
18-05-2009, 09:57

It won't get to court. If she wants to make a point or get redress as a result of this, the local rag is the way to go.

Will21st
18-05-2009, 18:20
Lol i doubt she needs to "get out of it", she's innocent :p:

This is '1984 Britain',NO ONE is innocent!!;)

Hugh
18-05-2009, 20:36
The 14 year old lad in another thread still is........

Escapee
18-05-2009, 21:45
My mother has still not received an apology from the store or the police.

I am aware that the manager has had a call from head office earlier this evening regarding the incident. When questioned why this has not been dealt with locally, why an apology has not been given and why staff have not been investigated he apparently claimed not to know anything about the incident.

I expect he will be getting his backside into gear and investigating the matter very soon.

Smilie
18-05-2009, 22:11
well from what i read here
i don't understand why it still needs to goto court
maybe the police have already sent the case to the courts (or where ever they send it) and can't take it back

i also would of thought the police would have clear evidence to suspect your mother of not paying, before doing that
which i doubt they have as your mother have a reciept so the video evidence should show your mother paying

if this does goes to court its just a waste of time and money with every1 involved

moaningmags
18-05-2009, 22:37
I never take a receipt when buying petrol unless I'm using my debit card but from now on I'll always ask for one.

Pog66
19-05-2009, 13:34
On a slightly side note - the attitude of the police officer is odd. A few years ago I managed to forget to pay for petrol and drove off - was very preoccupied at the time.
Anyway when the Police came knocking I realised what I'd done and they drove up to the petrol station with me to ensure I paid. I think it was realised it was a genuine mistake and all sorted with no hastle.

Escapee
19-05-2009, 18:34
On a slightly side note - the attitude of the police officer is odd. A few years ago I managed to forget to pay for petrol and drove off - was very preoccupied at the time.
Anyway when the Police came knocking I realised what I'd done and they drove up to the petrol station with me to ensure I paid. I think it was realised it was a genuine mistake and all sorted with no hastle.

I got home about an hour ago and phoned my mother, she had been home all day and has not received any contact. I made a call to my contact at head office who was furious, contact called me back after speaking to the duty manager and not being so polite on this occassion.

Contact says they have tried to be clever by not providing a reference number for the complaint, possibly hoping any follow up will get lost in the system or just deny it happened. The duty manager even commented that she understood the police were not very nice to the innocent party!

I have tried to contact my mother but the phone has been busy for the last 30 mins, they may well be talking to her now as they have been promised a call back from head office as a follow up.

All in all, it's shocking customer services and incompetence on the part of the store and pure arrogance by the police officer involved.

ps. Head office now have the name of the security person who pointed the finger at my mother.

Hom3r
19-05-2009, 18:42
I always have a receipt when I by fuel as I use it to work out my MPG.

Most if not all garages should have CCTV, this could be used.

Escapee
19-05-2009, 19:30
Most if not all garages should have CCTV, this could be used.

Exactly, but it appears that they identified my mother and the car using the CCTV on the forecourt, but due to incompetence did not use the CCTV evidence they should have of her paying.

She has just had a call from the local store, and it looks very much like they have been trying to brush the whole incident and their incompetence under the carpet in the hope that it will go away.

It appears there is no individual holding their hands up to the whole charade.

Peter_
19-05-2009, 19:37
Exactly, but it appears that they identified my mother and the car using the CCTV on the forecourt, but due to incompetence did not use the CCTV evidence they should have of her paying.

She has just had a call from the local store, and it looks very much like they have been trying to brush the whole incident and their incompetence under the carpet in the hope that it will go away.

It appears there is no individual holding their hands up to the whole charade.
A quick call to the local paper should sort this out once and for all.