PDA

View Full Version : What is a Matelot

daxx
17-08-2005, 11:11
A Matelot is not born; he is made out of leftovers! God built the world and the animals and then recycled the gash to create this dastardly weapon.He took the leftover roar of the lion, the howl of the hyena, the clumsiness of the ox, the stubbornness of the mule, the slyness of the fox, the wildness of the bull and the pride of a peacock - then added the filthy evil mind of the devil to satisfy his weird sense of humour.

A Matelot evolved into a crude combination of John Dillinger, Errol Flynn, Beau Brummel and Valentino - a swashbuckling †“ beer -swilling - lovemaking - LIAR!

A Matelot likes girls, rum, beer, fights, uckers, runs ashore, pubs, jokes, long leave, his mates and his ticket. He hates officers, rounds, divisions, saluting middies, naval police, painting the side, jaunties, navy scran, his turn in the barrel and signing on!

A Matelot comes in four colours; white, off white, dirty and filthy - all looking alike under a tan and a uniform.He is brave drinking beer, abusive playing crib, brutal defending his pride and passionate making love. He can start a brawl, create a disaster, offend the law, desert his ship, and make you lose your money, your temper and your mind!
He can take your sister, your mother, your aunt, and when he is caught get his captain to vouch for his integrity.

A matelot is loved by all mothers, sisters, aunts and nieces; hated by all fathers, brothers, uncles and nephews.
He has a girl in every port and a port in every girl. He breaks more hearts, causes more fights and begets more *******s than any other man, yet when he is off to sea he is missed more than any other!

A matelot is a mean, hard drinking, fast running, mealy mouthed son-of-a-bitch, but when you are in strife he is a strong shoulder to lean on, a pillar of wisdom, and a defender of the faith and cause. He fights for his mate, and dies for his country, without question or hesitation!
This is a Matelot!

http://www.hms-yarmouth.com/_borders/white-ensign1.gif

from: http:////www.hms-yarmouth.com/what_is_a_matelot.htm

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:14
Companion thread to 'What is a squaddie', I assume? ;) :D

danielf
17-08-2005, 11:14
Do you mate a lot then?

Nugget
17-08-2005, 11:16
Do you mate a lot then?

If not, I'd love to know how he mats elots anyway :disturbd:

EDIT: Mind you, I think daxx is being a little overcomplicated. According to the dictionary, a matelot's just a sailor :p:

daxx
17-08-2005, 11:20
@Chris T: Don't see why the 'Senior Service' should be left out :)

@danielf: Hmmm never thought if it that way though its pronounced (in English) AFIAK as matt-low

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:21
@Chris T: Don't see why the 'Senior Service' should be left out :)

Quite right. Put pongo in his place. :D

danielf
17-08-2005, 11:23
From M-W.com:

Pronunciation: 'mat-"lO, 'ma-t&-
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from Middle Dutch mattenoot, literally, bedmate
British : SAILOR

Make of it what you will :shrug:

daxx
17-08-2005, 11:25
Can't find one for the 'BlueJobs' though :D

Does the MoD still teach them to write :rolleyes:

Maggy
17-08-2005, 11:29
I haven't heard the term matalot in over 25 years..and round Portsmouth they were known as skates anyway....Dunno what the latest term is now though..

I guess the equivilant of skate bashing still takes place.Indeed there was a young sailor put into a coma in Gosport last year after a brutal beating up.The problem for many young sailors is that they are usually flush(not having been into port to spend their pay) and local lads don't like it when someone appears wanting to have a good night out cash in hand. :(

daxx
17-08-2005, 11:46
Sad fact of 'garrison towns' life Coggy, leads to all sorts of trouble between the natives and who ever (forces wise) is located there.

Having done my time all over the south and indeed been drafted to 'Whale Island' and a few Pompey based ships the memories of starting a Friday night at the 'Air Balloon' doing a pub' crawl 'down the strip' and ending up 'somewhere' in Southsea in a curry house (and maybe doing a runner :) ) are still lurking around. :)

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:50
Sad fact of 'garrison towns' life Coggy, leads to all sorts of trouble between the natives and who ever (forces wise) is located there.

Having done my time all over the south and indeed been drafted to 'Whale Island' and a few Pompey based ships the memories of starting a Friday night at the 'Air Balloon' doing a pub' crawl 'down the strip' and ending up 'somewhere' in Southsea in a curry house (and maybe doing a runner :) ) are still lurking around. :)

I stayed on HMS Kent a couple of times when I was in my school CCF. I had no idea arriving in Portsmouth in cadet uniform was a potential health hazard though. :erm:

Bill C
17-08-2005, 12:00

Now that brings back a memory or to. Battling in Andover on a Saturday night when i was based at Tidworth. :angel: . Not that i would do that now. I am too old for that sort of thing:LOL:

Rough.D
17-08-2005, 12:15
Matelot
Is he not a member of the golden rivet club :D ;)