PDA

View Full Version : crb checks for anyone

jd67stella
09-05-2009, 10:05
i have been plastering for nearly 20 years now and site work is starting to take its toll on me, knees and shoulders are starting to get a bit rusty, so been thinking of taking things a little slower by obtaining a nvq level 3 in plastering and going in to college and train 16 yrolds and up to basically make a mess. the only thing is though, to obtain the nvq which is required by any college costs £900 for the course, now as the construction industry is probably in the biggest mess its ever been in, the idea of being payed to go on holidays and working in the warm and dry, is certainly apealin. wouldnt you agree. now i cant say i was a little angel in my younger days but like the law says, after 7 years its spent, so i really dont fancy paying out £900 and the college do a check and refuse me entry on something that happend 25+ years ago. so does anybody know of a website where i can obtain a free crb check on myself. thanks 4 taking time to read my peice coz it took me hours to type.

Kymmy
09-05-2009, 11:10
Welcome to the forum,

There is no website for free CRB checks, infact you're not even allowed to do one for yourself...

Sorry just reread your post so editting mine :)

Ask the college to do a CRB check on you before the start of the course... and talk to the advisors there as to if the results would be a problem in the future... Be open and honest and you'll get open and honest replies back..

As for spent convictions if teaching children/vunerable adults then all convictions have to be declared, though the checks show what's on the PNC and the vunerable registers and different police forces remove crimes at different rates..

superbiatch
09-05-2009, 11:17
I agree with Kymmy, plus they have to look at what you've done in the past. Is it likely something to affect you in what you are doing with them? CRB's are not there to stop you getting work, they just provide your employer with a background to you. We have recently had them dome in work (NHS) and some of our staff had quite 'interesting' teen/twenties but they are still employed. I wouldn't worry too much :)

Kymmy
09-05-2009, 11:20
I'm applying for an instructors licence with HAM radio so I have to do a CRB myself (even though I may never work with children/vunerable adults as it'll be my choice who I teach), at least I don't though have to pay for it being a voluntary position..

Halcyon
09-05-2009, 12:33
Unless you have convictions that could have an effect on students lives, eg. violence, sexual harassment, peodophilia, etc, then I wouldnt worry.

Speak to the college. Then you won't waste your time.

Nidge
10-05-2009, 18:12
i have been plastering for nearly 20 years now and site work is starting to take its toll on me, knees and shoulders are starting to get a bit rusty, so been thinking of taking things a little slower by obtaining a nvq level 3 in plastering and going in to college and train 16 yrolds and up to basically make a mess. the only thing is though, to obtain the nvq which is required by any college costs £900 for the course, now as the construction industry is probably in the biggest mess its ever been in, the idea of being payed to go on holidays and working in the warm and dry, is certainly apealin. wouldnt you agree. now i cant say i was a little angel in my younger days but like the law says, after 7 years its spent, so i really dont fancy paying out £900 and the college do a check and refuse me entry on something that happend 25+ years ago. so does anybody know of a website where i can obtain a free crb check on myself. thanks 4 taking time to read my peice coz it took me hours to type.

You'll be ok mate, I was no angel when I was a kid I got into a few scrapes with the law, a few slaps on the hand from the magistrates and I've been a god boy since. I have a CRB every year to enable me to get airside at East Midlands Airport.