PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ equipment..

Jay6
08-05-2009, 23:54
I have a standard sky box with a dish. I have a card which allows me to watch the freesat channels. ..I want to be able to record one channel, while watching another. Am I right in thinking that I would need either a Sky+ box, or a freesat+ box to accomplish this? I know I need two cables from the dish, that's not a problem, but can I just buy a sky+ or freesat+ box outright, without subscribing or anything like that? In short, I want to retain the freesat service, but be able to record one channel while watching another. Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

dannyboy91uk
09-05-2009, 04:15
I'm not 100 % certain, but i'm sure if you buy a SKY + box from Ebay/Sky or whoever. You would still need the SKY subscription (Minimum) £16.50 a month to get the record functioning (Pause - Rewind - Record etc).

That would mean you would have to buy the £16.50 1 mix deal, or I think there is a £10 subscription for Sky + full functioning alone. You might aswell pay £16.50 and get the variety pack :D.

SKY + BOX - £50 - free installation

The third choice could be get a £10 Sky Multiroom room subscription. So you have the Sky + Box downstairs, with the Standard box in your bedroom.
If you subscribe to anything on Sky, you will get the Sky+ functionality free. Murdoch loves cash!

I think i'm right by the way, I guess I could be mistaken but I don't think I am.

Mick Fisher
09-05-2009, 04:34
I'm also sure dannyboy91uk is correct. :tu:

Personally I think a BBC Freesat PVR is now the way to go. When my Sky+ gives up the ghost that's what I'm going to get.

As for losing the Sky Channels well these days I rarely watch anything other than channels 1 to 5 or sometimes their subsidiary digital channels. I really can't remember the last time I watched anything on Sky 1-3 Sky News or Sky Sports News. Hmmm I tell a lie I occasionally watch the odd concert on Sky Arts but it's rare.

Graham M
09-05-2009, 09:49
You can get Freesat through a Sky+ box but unless you pay either £10/month for the Sky+ features or £16.50/month for a Sky contract with channels packages then the recording features etc will be unavailable

LondonRoad
09-05-2009, 10:22
You can use the Sky dish and cabling with a freesat box. No subs and no need to scroll the the Sky epg to get to what you want. ;)

Jay6
09-05-2009, 11:23
Thanks for responses guys. :) ..I should probably mention, ..this is all for my grandad. He currently has freesat, but is VERY anti-subscription. He's 87 years old, and very set in his ways, and he won't ever have a direct debit to anything. He's quite old fashioned and pays for everything in cash. So if I get him the sky+ box, the PVR function is definately not free, is that correct? What about the freesat+ box? Is the PVR free on that? He would rather pay over the odds for a box outright, instead of a smaller amount of money with a monthly subscription.

LondonRoad
09-05-2009, 11:39
Definitely have to pay for Sky pvr. Definitely don't pay a subscription for freesat pvr. :)

Jay6
09-05-2009, 11:44
Thanks. Freesat+ it is then. Stoopid really, coz I've looked at some of those boxes and they cost a bomb. Lol.