PDA

View Full Version : Out of coverage by 1 house!

Stalks
06-05-2009, 13:31
My nextdoor neighbour has Virgin Broadband, but I've been told after ordering Virgin Broadband that I am out of their catchment area, by 5 meters! It wasn't until the engineer arrived at the door that they knew this. It seems my house and those further up my street were built later and don't have the cabling.

Has anyone known of Virgin Media/NTL extending their coverage? If so what needs to be done or who needs to be contacted? I don't mind even paying towards the installation. I am at the very limit of ADSL connectivity and would gladly pay for phone and TV along with it. I know my neighbours are also interested as the Engineer who came said he has been in my street with the exact same problem in the past.

mac10
06-05-2009, 13:39
You could get together with your neighbours and petition Virgin with an offer to pay for the extention?.

I've no idea of an earlier precedent for this but it may well be to your advantage to ask Virgin, possibly at a different level than customer services.

Chris
06-05-2009, 14:18
I believe Virgin are beginning to look at filling in the gaps in their access network over the next five years or so - apparently there are about half a million homes in the same situation as you, within a cable coverage area but missing out by a fraction because the ducting doesn't stretch quite far enough.

It's very, very unlikely you will be able to do anything to persuade them. It's not just the actual cost of digging up the pavement (although that in itself is far more than you would want to pay), it's all the admin of dealing with the council etc. The only thing you can do is hope that your street is one of the ones they re-visit when they start their gap-filling exercise.

southwell
06-05-2009, 14:20
If it's a street issue then it would make sense for them to do the whole area in one go. I doubt you will get them to just extend one house, then come back again at a later stage for the rest.