PDA

View Full Version : sick pay

persy
05-05-2009, 14:01
my work have refused to pay me sick pay which would be 12 weeks full pay
they have ignored my doctors 6 week sick-line because the works nurse intervied me NOT examined me and stated that i am fit for work?

Chris
05-05-2009, 14:11
Exactly what does your doctor's sick note say? Does it call for you to do no work at all, or light duties, or something else?

Nugget
05-05-2009, 14:15
Why would it be 12 weeks full pay, if your sicknote is only for 6?

EDIT: Scrap that, I've just seen your other post (although I still only make it 9 weeks). I wish I had your doctor though - when I was diagnosed with sciatica, I took one day off work (because I couldn't drive to get there), and he prescribed anti-inflammatories and painkillers...

superbiatch
05-05-2009, 14:26
I think your nurse is on very dodgy ground here. It sounds as though you may have seen occupational health? If that is the case then any advice they give your employer is in 'their opinion' only, not to go against what your GP has put on a sick note. No one has the right to do that, what is said between your GP and you is totally confidential (apart from a few exemptions).

Can I ask is it something physical you have been signed off with or something more related to your state of mental health?

Are you in a union?

I've just seen that you are signed off with sciatica. I think your nurse has no right to interfere and I'd be seeking clarification from either my union or ACAS now!

persy
05-05-2009, 14:28
Exactly what does your doctor's sick note say? Does it call for you to do no work at all, or light duties, or something else?

no work
my sick-line is for 6 weeks
my company sick-pay scheme for the year totals 12 weeks

Chris
05-05-2009, 14:31
How many weeks have you had over the last year already?

persy
05-05-2009, 17:14
How many weeks have you had over the last year already?

been employed with company for 3.5yrs--have never missed a day

i have had 3 weeks on sick from 6/4/2009-27/4/2009

barby81
06-05-2009, 19:54
Something doesn't seem right somehow. I understand that there is a claus somewhere in my contract that says after being sick for a period of time the Staff nurse or occupational health person will check and I think I remember something saying that the company assessment overides my NHS drs but I think you could contest it if she didn't check you out.

Seek legal advice because this is such a grey area!

superbiatch
06-05-2009, 19:59
Something doesn't seem right somehow. I understand that there is a claus somewhere in my contract that says after being sick for a period of time the Staff nurse or occupational health person will check and I think I remember something saying that the company assessment overides my NHS drs but I think you could contest it if she didn't check you out.

I don't think that is strictly true. I've got a member of staff who's been off sick for nearly 2 years (yes you read right!) and occy health says she's fit, her doctor doesn't. She's still off sick (i think waiting to be pensioned off but thats another story).

Maggy
06-05-2009, 20:27
Wish I got sick pay as such..if I phone in sick I get nothing and I'm not legally entitled.:(

Charlie_Bubble
06-05-2009, 20:44
Get down to your local CAB and talk to them. Seems to me like you are entitled to sick pay if your doc says you can't work.

homealone
06-05-2009, 20:56
Get down to your local CAB and talk to them. Seems to me like you are entitled to sick pay if your doc says you can't work.

It depends on his contract, he will be entitled to statutory sick pay, but maybe not be entitled to be paid company sick pay by his employer.

I won't 'qualify' for company sick pay until I've been with my employer for 3 years, until then I don't get paid for days off sick, whether signed off by the doc, or not.

Statutory sick pay doesn't cover the first 3 days of sickness, either, IIRC ???