PDA

View Full Version : door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

Itshim
01-05-2009, 10:51
A very nice girl representing SKY called at my home last night . Said a neighbour ? ! had said to call !!!
Anyway told her what I have
XL package TV
2 meg broadband
Telephone 4p, 3p 2p 1p ( a old cabletel package)
V+ box
I can do that says she for £30 per month but I need to add BT line to that which I don’t have. No you don’t she says!!!
I am paying £42 per month ( £51.50p if discount went)
Was too busy to really follow this up but it sounds too good to be true.
Would miss BBC I player but in all honesty that would be it. Record two –used once since having V+ ITV player never used it .
If she is correct I am paying for free repair & I player £12 per month . Have to question is it worth it! lose my discount & that would rise to £21.50 per month guess that would mean I would move!!

roland69uk
01-05-2009, 11:12
I have the V+ and did have the triple xl package, when i decieded to go for the sky hd box i simply downgraded virgin to the free package, now i have VOD from virgin and HD channels from sky

broadbandking
01-05-2009, 11:12
If they are offering broadband its there basic deal and its 2Mb with 2gb download limit so becareful they always offer you the lowest and its always the cheapest and in most case not what you want, but you never know you might like Sky.

EBD3000
01-05-2009, 11:39
Well having been on the sky website that £30 will get you -

All mixes
Sky Broadband Base
Sky Talk (Basic level)
Sky+

= £31.50pcm + £49 one off fee.

Up to you. However the Sky+ box doesn't upscale like V+. A Sky+ HD box bumps up the price by a £10pcm.

LondonRoad
01-05-2009, 12:01
You'll still need to add your phone line rental to that whether it's through VM or BT.

EBD3000
01-05-2009, 12:49
No that includes line rental of £10 from Sky Talk.

Itshim
01-05-2009, 12:53
You'll still need to add your phone line rental to that whether it's through VM or BT.

Not from what she said !!! do not need phone line - and to be honest if Virgin would drop it & the charge of cause I would get rid of it in a flash. Last months phone call cost 15p !!!!:D
- also said match TV channels I have so Skys match to Virgin XL .

*sloman*
01-05-2009, 12:55
We had the same

Sky person knocked on door so i invited him in

He offered me:
HD £29
Free line rental for 12m
Free 2mb BB (changing to up to 16mb)
3 mixes
Total: £28.50 pm (this incl 9.75 for HD sub)

We are moving in to a new home soon that has no BT line, so sky will pay for BT to install this for us, and all we have to do is pay £25 new connection charge. Where BT will charge £120+

He also pushed the install date back to 20th June as we are still waiting for some searches to come back on the property and have no moving in date. If everything falls through we can cancel at any time!

The guy said the only reason sky dropped there HD box to £49 was to take away customers from VM!

I signed up

Chris
01-05-2009, 12:59
Not from what she said !!! do not need phone line - and to be honest if Virgin would drop it & the charge of cause I would get rid of it in a flash. Last months phone call cost 15p !!!!:D
- also said match TV channels I have so Skys match to Virgin XL .

I think that's very unlikely. The dish and box are subsidised under all Sky's installation packages and the condition of you getting that subsidy is that you keep it connected to an active phone line for 12 months.

I think it's more likely that she may have told you you don't need to change to a BT line - the digibox will work fine with a Virgin cable phone - but it *will* need a landline to connect to and if she really did tell you that it doesn't, she's tried to sell you a lie.

One way or another you need to make sure you factor in all the costs you will incur by switching to Sky before you know if it's a better deal, and phone line rental is part of that.

*sloman*
01-05-2009, 13:30
They did mention the same thing to me saying you don't need a phone but if you want to purchase any PPV content you need to ring some number.

Maybe there T&C's have changed?

Itshim
01-05-2009, 14:54
I am not planning on moving over. I dont have a BT phone line ( was "cut" by Cabltel see others post if you want details) I just found it hard to believe that for £30 per month they would supply what Virgin if "fully charged " would cost me £51.50p. And at any rate costs me £42

Hugh
01-05-2009, 16:15
As related in another thread, I had the Skyguy round cold-calling, and I let him estimate what a like for like replacement would be for -
BB L
TV XL
V+
additional STB
Phone XL

Sky would have cost me £1.50 a month more, for slower BB (I am one of the fortunates who get just under 10Mb constantly).

broadbandking
01-05-2009, 16:21
Sky would only give you a free broadband service with a 2Gb cap

nodrogd
01-05-2009, 16:33
Sky digibox will work with a VM phone line, but for sky broadband you do need a BT line. If you are on one of the unbundled BT exchanges where sky have installed equipment there will be no BT line rental to pay.

rogerdraig
01-05-2009, 16:35
there is an offer on at the moment where they will pay your line rental for a year

see the black box ad on this page

http://packages.sky.com/?DCMP=ILC-SkyCOM_productsGetSky

LondonRoad
01-05-2009, 19:25
there is an offer on at the moment where they will pay your line rental for a year

see the black box ad on this page

http://packages.sky.com/?DCMP=ILC-SkyCOM_productsGetSky

That seems to be only if you take the HD package and subscribe to a Sky talks package to get the "free" line rental.

rogerdraig
01-05-2009, 22:41
not unusual for there to be more than one offer at a time ;) though i would get in writing :)

moroboshi
01-05-2009, 23:44
Up to you. However the Sky+ box doesn't upscale like V+. A Sky+ HD box bumps up the price by a £10pcm.

And any HDTV will upscale an SD image to just the same crappy quality. Upscaling is ridiculously over hyped on these boards. As the old phrase goes, garbage in (SD), garbage out (upscaled).

frogstamper
02-05-2009, 01:44
Sky would only give you a free broadband service with a 2Gb cap

If you go over your quota on Sky BB do they cut your connection, or just charge you a few quid more depending on what your over?