PDA

View Full Version : MAG (Massive Action Game)

icestar2
29-04-2009, 22:48
I was sure there was a thread on this a while back but you can't search for MAG because its to short and I couldnt find it in a manual search unless it was not under the Sony section. So if one of the Mods does find it feel free to join this post to that thread, Anyway . . . .

MAG a 256 Player FPS ! Wow thats something in itself. Today the first video of actual gameplay was released and if everything am reading and seeing is true this game has massive, massive potential.

Little has been heard about MAG, Sony's ambitious 256-person online shooter that was announced during last year's E3. In fact, other than the CG trailer (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/mag-massive-action-game-massive-action-trailer/) shown at the conference, there has been an almost total lockdown on any information related to the game. Last week, however, all that changed during Sony's Seattle Gamers Day event.

With a long history of making online shooters (the developer was the first to bring an online game to the PS2 with the first SOCOM), Zipper has been working hard to make sure that players will experience a smooth and pleasant experience, even when playing against a couple hundred other people. In fact, it's been running weekly 256-player tests since late last year with SCEA folks in California in order to test the network technology -- Zipper says it's already achieved smooth gameplay.

Full hand's on Review and first gameplay video - http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/29/joystiq-hands-on-mag/

cimt
29-04-2009, 23:06
Yeah, I watched that earlier. It looks awesome! I shall certainly be getting it when it comes out.

icestar2
01-05-2009, 15:38
There's a great interview on joystiq with alot of information :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/30/joystiq-interview-zipper-interactives-russ-phillips-on-mag/

cimt
05-05-2009, 18:11
There's a video on the Playstation Blog that answers a few questions. They'll also be a live chat tomorrow, too.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/04/mag-your-questions-answered-live-chat-announcement/

cimt
23-09-2009, 01:24
Sorry for the bump but who got accepted into the beta? I did and I must say it is fantastic. I just played a game there and I went round a corner and there was like 20 of the other team running at me. Ahh good times. Also, I picked S.V.E.R. What about you guys?

RealDiamond
23-09-2009, 14:47
RAVEN for one reason and one only....
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/09/8.jpg
One of these..... Nice not to have a NDA for once......can actually talk about the games. I never liked the MP5 or HK.

icestar2
23-09-2009, 14:57
I didnt get into this one :( There's a couple people on my friends list that are in though and most are saying its decent.

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2009, 00:05
Sorry for the bump but who got accepted into the beta?

Yup. I got accepted a couple of days ago I think.

My experience went like this:

<Check email> "Oooh, a code for the MAG beta :)"

<Redeem the code... download 260MB ish from the store.>

"Hmm. That's a bit small?"

<Run installer>... "ah, another 30something MB update to download. OK, still a bit small though?"

<Run beta app>... "Ah, 2 1/2 GB to download. That must be the actual thing itself"

<Download...download...download...download...downlo ad...> "What? Still only 5%?!"

"Hmm. Just like the crappy MGO beta, this is using some sort of ultra-slow P2P method to download the actual beta itself. Awesome :rolleyes:"

"This sucks! It's taking ages, plus it can't be set to background download, so you have to leave the PS3 running for x hours with the beta's P2P app running away slowly downloading. Screw this!"

<goes to quit the download>

"Hmm. Doesn't even have a quit button, so I have to use the PS button to quit via the XMB."

<quits via XMB>

<deletes the beta>

Why on Earth is the full beta file not available on the PSN Store? [Like Uncharted 2's beta]

Why do you have to first download some stupid P2P app & then use P2P to download the beta? [Unlike Uncharted 2's beta]

I mean, the Uncharted 2 beta managed it perfectly, none of this P2P nonsense. You simply downloaded the full main thing via the Store using a redeem code, and That.Was.That.

It's not like this is by some tiny indy dev: Zipper are owned by Sony, surely Sony can give them some Store space & bandwidth for people to download the beta?

I can't be bothered...

I didnt get into this one :( There's a couple people on my friends list that are in though and most are saying its decent.

Apparently, if you applied, you *will* get in.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/09/22/registered-for-the-mag-beta-dont-worry-youre-in/

cimt
24-09-2009, 00:23
They've changed the times now... Instead of midnight the servers are back on at 1AM.

icestar2
24-09-2009, 00:50
Apparently, if you applied, you *will* get in.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/09/22/registered-for-the-mag-beta-dont-worry-youre-in/

Hmmm that post was made on the 22nd and said all will be in by tomorrow by 2-3pm. I still havent heard anything so guess they are either lying or they have been delayed for some reason. Seeing as most are in now though am thinking for some reason I've been over looked. Not to bothered as October bring's plenty of gaming goodness and I wont have time for the Beta then anyway.

Edit** According to one of the developers on the EU PS forums the beta invites were sent out between Thursday the 18 and Tuesday the 22nd. Am sure I'd signed up but maybe not. Oh well sounds like alot of hassle anyway going by Matt's post lol.

RealDiamond
24-09-2009, 09:10
Its a Beta Every thing is being tested in MAG from patch Update servers to menu lay out. The "Barracks screens" has New layouts and design changes. The automatic Game servers systems are not due to be built till November.

The P2P update system worked fine during KILLZONE 2 beta. With MAG. It had an error in the code. It was fixed for MAG again with a new client patch.

Uncharted 2 Is a PR DEMO. The Beta test for Uncharted was in JUNE and its was only a load testing, Theres are no bug reports being filed for the uncharted 2 Beta unlike the MAG.
The discs have gone GOLD already for uncharted 2. They can't change the Game code untill release.

So far the MAG Beta Downloads now total over 8GB. If you included all the data since it started. The Store Had Enough problems With all the US users downloading the EU game released last week, As the game was not released in the US store..

I still get my 10Mb/s download as Im not in a Internet bottle neck.

Like every Big map game "Snipers" Have easy kills . They camp Near the spawn point and just get kills. They can't win a game by them selves, as there are APCs. but they get high kill counts.
Every one else is in on the action 99%.
Perks don't work unless your in proximity to a leader or a leaders set objective.

The Game play is A Massive change from Socom but its not as big a step up from Bad Company. If defending you start with with a mass of things to defend but as each objective falls you do get pushed back. In some game modes you can reclame back the objects in other game modes lose the wrong ones and you can't and are forced to respawn at a spawn point back down the map more, thats when the attackers can be stalled in there advance easy.

As usual Ranking up NEEDS to be done. Squad leaders and Platoon leaders perks make the sides more even. Squad leader rank does not happen till rank 15. From then on only weapons unlock per level, to change leadership rank another points system is used. based on wins as a leader, If your side wins your Leadership points go up. lose and they go up a vey tiny bit.
Its up to the attackers to win buy doing all the objectives if they don't. Its at loss for the squad leaders and all defending sqaud leaders get the win and go up in points..

As normal Low rank players will die easy. 3 shots, High ranked players may never die. Medkits and regenerating health perks are part of this game. This means 2 high rated Perked up players can have fire fights for ages untill some one lines up a head shot or unless more player support arrives. This forces Team game play to combine bullet power..

Hom3r
18-10-2009, 18:19
I posted this here (Now closed)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30/33656881-mag-massive-action-game.html#post34892932

I tried a search but 3 letters is no good for a search

When I said come on MS sort it out I was referring to that fact this game can handle 356 players, where the 360 max is 24-36ish

Bulky
18-10-2009, 18:40
256 players is max ;) , have to be honest though , not that excited about this one , used to play planetside on the pc which and wasn't my cup of tea :)

Hom3r
19-10-2009, 19:47
256 players is max ;) , have to be honest though , not that excited about this one , used to play planetside on the pc which and wasn't my cup of tea :)

Oops I meant 256, just didn't read first

icestar2
04-01-2010, 23:29
Just bumping this thread to let everyone know that MAG is in open beta from today till the 10th. Just download it off the PSN store and then download some more in game and your good to go. Have to say I'd gone off this game but the beta's seems not bad and has me intrested again.

Hom3r
05-01-2010, 21:18
I hate this game

Unless it comes on the XBox:D

icestar2
06-01-2010, 16:43
I have to say after playing a good couple games now am really thinking of picking this one up. I didnt think I'd enjoy it as much as I have been. In fact I was ready to write this one off for good. Don't know if I'll be picking it up at launch with the overload of games in the next 3 months but its one I do hope to get eventually.