PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Megastores and High street stores

m419
29-04-2009, 17:17
The high street is now looking a bit grim now that Virgin Megastores has gone and now that Woolies have gone into liquidation and there are very few Zavvi Megastores left. All there is Tesco,Sainsburys,Morrisons and Asda! Not very appealing.

We need something decent!

We need a responsible retailer that will ensure that it can maintain a profitable service!

Seen Virgin Megastores in the USA?

Well I think they should offer something like that over in the UK!

Virgin Enterprises should do a whole big re-launch!

Build and open huge Megastores offering:

Music
DVD's
Perfumes
Sports and Leisure
Electronics and computing
Clothing and Fashion
Food and drink

Amongst all that,in stores they should also have additional departments dedicated to:

Virgin Money Credit Cards and personal finance
Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile together with NTL Telewest Business sales
Virgin Holidays
Virgin Atlantic
Virgin Experience Days
Virgin Wines
Virgin Books

It will be a good move as they would be offering everything under one roof and promotes the wide range of Virgin products and services and is a attractive brand.

There would be more competition and more choice for the consumer, and beats the stuffy old brands and department stores like M&S and Selfridges.

Furthermore,a website can offer a lot more too! with deivery option.

I was also wondering if they would ever launch an auction site to compete with Ebay and Amazon!

It would be costly to set up,but worth it! Tesco doesnt do it for me and they havent a clue! They are too focused on Groceries,they even appeared on Watchdog for making false claims about being best value for money lately.

Whats everyone elses view on this?

Halcyon
29-04-2009, 17:43
The high street in many cities is now becoming three things, restaurants, banks, and pound shops.
Council's seem to sit and do nothing whilst these streets slowly become nothing.
And then they wonder why their town is not popular.

Julian
29-04-2009, 18:05
The high street in many cities is now becoming three things, restaurants, banks, and pound shops.
Council's seem to sit and do nothing whilst these streets slowly become nothing.

You forgot charity shops ;)

Stuart
29-04-2009, 19:24

In fairness, the local councils can do all they want, but two major problems are retail parks and out of town shopping centres. In both cases, the nearest councils have sometimes objected (or even refused planning permission) only to be overruled by the government.

m419
29-04-2009, 21:56
Well someone has taken over the Woolworths website, and someone is planning on relaunching Woolworths but online, yet to see it launch online and maybe on the high street some day! Good idea!

martyh
29-04-2009, 22:12
in my opinion one of the biggest problems facing the high street store is the lack of access to the average high st .Most large towns and cities are so unfriendly to cars that people are put off going to them .

CHiLL
29-04-2009, 22:18
Well someone has taken over the Woolworths website, and someone is planning on relaunching Woolworths but online, yet to see it launch online and maybe on the high street some day! Good idea!
It's been renamed Wellwoths from what I remember, because they couldn't afford to buy the name.