PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here keep pet spiders?

ZrByte
23-04-2009, 21:46
As per the title I would really like to know if anybody here has any pet spiders? Its something I have wanted for a long time and have recently got a little spare cash with which to actually do it.
I do have mild Arachnophobia though I have always had more problems with the larger house spiders we get in this country (Mainly because I have been bitten twice). Tiny spiders don't bother me at all and large spiders fascinate me.
Just have a few questions that I'm sure the owners of the pet shop can probably answer but was hoping someone on here could shed some light on this in the meantime.

I have been searching online about handling them and all I can find are guides about methods for picking up the spiders by hand. Though I do hope to eventually handle the spider by hand as I said earlier I do have mild arachnophobia and would rather an alternative to get me started that wont hurt it. I'm guessing gloves may be an option but what type? Marigolds? Surgical? Silk? lol

Any breed recommendations? From what I gather a good starter breed would be a Chilean rose.

Any advice on spider age? I know the males only live for about 3 years in the breed I am looking into so I would think spiderlings would be best to get the most life out of my pet though I assume that since the females can live for about 15 - 25 years a mature female could also be ok?

What tank size should I really be aiming for? I have seen some figures suggesting 10 gallon but I assume this would be for a full sized adult. The same guides also state that height is less important than floorspace so what dimensions would be best? Can a Chilean rose even climb the glass?

And relating to the above question how much money should I expect to outlay to buy my tank, condition it and buy my first spider?

All this hangs on convincing my better half to let me have one but I really don't think it will be that much of a problem.

Also if anybody would be willing to share pictures of their own spiders and habitats I would love to see them.

Thanks in advance all.