PDA

View Full Version : Multi room viewing

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 11:08
Hi all,
i will be having an lcd tv in my bathroom, however i do not want a telewest digibox showing, is there any way i can run this off the set in the living room, or even have another box but still be able to turn it over in the bathroom. When i was in america there was a small unti that about 1 inch by inch that ran (i presume ) from the digibox and wasnt on show. Is there anything like that here i could use?
Thanks in advacne

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:18
:welcome: to the forum, O Prince of Darkness :D

There are plenty of techy people around here, hopefully one of them will have some ideas for you.

Personally I'd have thought it was as simple as connecting the TV in your bathroom to the STB via a length of coaxial cable, splitting the output from the STB if you're already using coax to connect to your main TV. But I don't know the details of how/whether that works, so I'll leave it to others to advise you.

altis
17-08-2005, 11:25
This is what you need:

Download Failed (1) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/index.htm#more-than-one)

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 11:30
Getting an output from the STB to the TV in another room is the simple bit. As Chris T says, simpy run a standad co-axial aerial lead from the STB to the bathroom LCD TV. Picture may not be quite as good as if you had a scart lead connection, but it will suffice.

The bigger challenge is the changing channels bit. This depends on the type of STB you have. Most PACE STBs use IrDA rather than the more standard IR for remote control signalling. In which case you probably need the DigiEye remote signalling.

Indeed DigiEye also offer a remote video and signalling so you could, almost wirelessly connect the STB output and control channels too.

Of course, electrics in bathrooms are a major safety challenge, and if you are doing any wiring alterations in there to accommodate this, that is now subject not only to electrical regulations but Building Regulations Approval too, making such alterations outside of the remit of the DIYer.

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:32
Aha ... Altis's famous wiring diagram saves the day once more! :D

As this relates to home set-up of equipment and is not specific to the Telewest service, I have moved the thread to the Lifestyle forum.

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 11:45
thanks for the welcome :)
ok so this looks more complicated than i had hoped, could anyone put it in mr simple terms that diagram is way over my head

Chris
17-08-2005, 11:56
thanks for the welcome :)
ok so this looks more complicated than i had hoped, could anyone put it in mr simple terms that diagram is way over my head

Pretty much as I described. Altis's diagram shows you how to add everything bar the kitchen sink, but the bit that is important to you is that it shows you can run the coaxial cable (that's the one that looks like aerial cable) from the RF OUT of the set top box, into the back of your bathroom telly. In Altis's diagram it actually goes into the video recorder first, and then out to a signal amplifier so it can then be fed on to multiple additional TVs without loss of signal quality, but if you're just adding the one extra TV, and you are using a SCART lead to connect your main TV to the set top box, you don't need a signal amplifier.

As Rob said, wiring your bathroom TV to your STB is the easy bit. The hard part is changing channels once you're in the bath. Because the remote control on Pace STBs uses different technology to just about everything else, standard equipment designed to allow you to do this (such as what you would use to control a Sky STB from the spare room) won't work. You may need to buy a clever widget called DigiEye which will allow you to relay remote control signals from the bathroom back to the STB.

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:16
cheers anyone know where i can get a digieye?

bopdude
17-08-2005, 12:18
Sorry to put a dampner on things but I think you'll find it's against the regs to have a tv ( or other appliance ) wired in the bathroom.

:2cents:

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:20
its ok i know an electrician or 2 ;)

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 12:21
A quick :google: will sort you out there:

Maplin.co.uk is a good bet.

Manufacturer's site is here:
http://www.aei.info/index.html

bopdude
17-08-2005, 12:22
Sorry to put a dampner on things but I think you'll find it's against the regs to have a tv ( or other appliance ) wired in the bathroom.

its ok i know an electrician or 2 ;)

Congrats, you now know 3 ;) and even if you were my brother I would still not install it for ya, complete :nono:

Welcome to the forum btw :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 12:23

Saw it done quite recently on one of the DIY shows. May have been DIY SOS. So yes it is possible, but clearly has to be done carefully, and positioning of the TV will be the critical aspect.

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:25
yeah my tv will be away from the shower and well out of the way of water.....

bopdude
17-08-2005, 12:25

Saw it done quite recently on one of the DIY shows. May have been DIY SOS. So yes it is possible, but clearly has to be done carefully, and positioning of the TV will be the critical aspect.

I'll bet you a £ to a pinch of snot it was a U.S show :shrug: I'm prepared to eat humble pie on this one

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 12:33
I'll bet you a £ to a pinch of snot it was a U.S show :shrug: I'm prepared to eat humble pie on this one

I'm absolutely certain that it was UK based.

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:37
*slices humble pie*

bopdude
17-08-2005, 12:40
*slices humble pie*

Stick around, I eat quiet a lot of it */ goes to dig out his copy of the 16th edition regs

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:41
lol i was only playing ;)

Jules
17-08-2005, 12:44
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/4.gif to the forum, I always knew the devil would catch up with me one day ;)

Pictures when it is done would be nice though to be honest I would be worried about steam etc getting in to the tele

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 12:46
no worries jules im going to have a word with my electrician later and see what he recommends. Ill post pics of my lovely bathroom

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 12:53
Hmm since this is a UK based company, selling waterproofed TVs, it has to be possible:
http://www.waterprooftv.co.uk/No idea if the company is any good - just did a :google:

bopdude
17-08-2005, 12:53
*slices humble pie*

Stick around, I eat quiet a lot of it */ goes to dig out his copy of the 16th edition regs

And quote The Institue of Electrical Engineers on site handbook.

Page 34 section 8 Speacial locations giving rise to increased risk of electric shock.

8.1 to 8.1.4 big snip to cut out the boring bits, basically says that bopdude doesn't have to eat today :PP:

Details on request ;)

Jules
17-08-2005, 12:54
I have seen it all now!

Hmm since this is a UK based company, selling waterproofed TVs, it has to be possible:
http://www.waterprooftv.co.uk/No idea if the company is any good - just did a :google:

Chris
17-08-2005, 12:55

Page 34 section 8 Speacial locations giving rise to increased risk of electric shock.

8.1 to 8.1.4 big snip to cut out the boring bits, basically says that bopdude doesn't have to eat today :PP:

Details on request ;)

Ref! We demand details!

Attach as a .doc if it's too long ...

bopdude
17-08-2005, 13:22

Nice gimmick, still have to be cabled up and powered, wait a minute, why don't we just put the whole lot behind a perspex screen, job sorted :tu: :rolleyes: :D

Details on request ;)

Ref! We demand details!

Attach as a .doc if it's too long ...

8.1 Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin.

8.1.1 These locations present a greater risk of electric shock than
other ( dry ) locations. The basic approach should be ......

(i) bond all exposed and extraneous-conductive-parts together
regardless of accessibility but not deliberatly to the main
earthing terminal. This will prevent potential differences
between them.

(ii) select a protective device that operates within 0.4s.

8.1.2 within the bath tub or shower basin only electrical equipment
and control cicuits operating at 12 volts or less shall be
accessible. In these locations the 12 volts must come from a
remote safety isloating transformer to BS 3535 or equivalent
source.

8.1.3 Within the reach of a person in a bath or shower basin, there
should be no electrical equipment except as described in
paragraph 8.1.2, equipment to BS 3456 Part 3.9 and shaver
supply unit to BS 3535. The insulatingcords of cord operated
switches are allowed within reach but the switch itself should
be normally inaccessible to a person in a bath or shower.

8.1.4 All equipment in a bathroom or shower room or near to a shower
should be suitable for the invironment, particularly with regard
to possible splashing and high humidity levels.

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 13:28
I think you might still end up eating mate, the OP never said the TV would have to be "within reach" of the shower/bath ;)

bopdude
17-08-2005, 13:31
I think you might still end up eating mate, the OP never said the TV would have to be "within reach" of the shower/bath ;)

Must be a hell of a size bathroom then :shrug: if I stand in my bath I can / could reach every wall and thats what the regs are trying to cover, the possiblity of shock. IMHO

Lucifer
it isnt in reach...its about 5 foot away from my hands.....

bopdude
but I'll sharpen me cake knife, just in case ..... ;)

handyman
17-08-2005, 13:43
Bop I saw this on MTV cribs the other day, cant remember who it was, some actress with a footballer. Was based in the UK and did have 2x 17" widescreen lcd screens behind perspex set into the walls.

Technically because it set into the wall does that mean the wireing is on the other side i.e in another room and therefore exempt as I is only access via a remote control on the bathroom side?

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 13:46
i wish i had of done that prior to all the decorating be done, plastering etc, but only decided on a tv in there after completion

bopdude
17-08-2005, 13:48
it isnt in reach...its about 5 foot away from my hands.....

But could you reach it if you wanted to ??

Bop I saw this on MTV cribs the other day, cant remember who it was, some actress with a footballer. Was based in the UK and did have 2x 17" widescreen lcd screens behind perspex set into the walls.

Technically because it set into the wall does that mean the wireing is on the other side i.e in another room and therefore exempt as I is only access via a remote control on the bathroom side?

Close enough :tu:

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 13:50
nah i couldnt reach it, i have the wall the toilet, the sink then the bath my hand can just about reach the sink i think..

handyman
17-08-2005, 13:51
Here you go bop;)

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/_images/db/11/99/pie.119955.full.jpg

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 13:51
I've got visions of Lucifer sat in his bath with a laptop, trying to see how far he can reach :D

Jules
17-08-2005, 13:54
That is nothing to what I have visions of :naughty:

bopdude
17-08-2005, 13:56
Here you go bop;)

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/_images/db/11/99/pie.119955.full.jpg

Thanks, ex mate ;) I'll have it, but, I would like to draw your attention to the regs, ( see above :rolleyes: :D ) I don't make them. only adhere to them :tu:

As above

nah i couldnt reach it, i have the wall the toilet, the sink then the bath my hand can just about reach the sink i think..

If you can reach it you can reach it, nough said ;)

Chris
17-08-2005, 13:59
I've got visions of Lucifer sat in his bath with a laptop, trying to see how far he can reach :D

If you're having visions of Lucifer doing anything, you've obviously stopped taking the pills mate. ;) :D

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 14:00

If you're having visions of Lucifer doing anything, you've obviously stopped taking the pills mate. ;) :D

:LOL: :rofl:

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 14:08
lol ill take a pic of me in the bath (clothed) reaching where the tv will be.... that should settle where the pie goes

SMHarman
17-08-2005, 14:25
lol ill take a pic of me in the bath (clothed) reaching where the tv will be.... that should settle where the pie goesA strategicly placed loofah would be a more interesting way to pose this photo surely.

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 14:26
ill be clothed dont u worry :)

Jules
17-08-2005, 14:28
:no: damn my fun is always spoilt

Lucifer
17-08-2005, 14:29
when the bathroom is finished ill do it in the bath for u jules