PDA

View Full Version : Cant share connection from modem

Tetley
16-04-2009, 17:53
If this has already been answered somewhere else I do apologise, I am just after some advice as it is starting to get on my nerves.
We have currently Virgin TV and Virgin Internet (with the Virgin modem).
Everything is fine with the internet so long as we don't unplug the ethernet cable from the pc to say a laptop or my XBox 360. If you do then the internet has to be unplugged to be reset to have any connection working on new hardware.
This is alright but I've been wanting to have a constant connection on my 360 and of course when my fiance wants to use the net while I'm using the 360 it is a pain for us both.
Can't really afford a router so I am using a splitter I happened to have which is a sweex 5 Port Switch 10/100 MBPS. Now I thought this should work and we would have a shared connection between both, but no, it seems only one connection will work and if I want to use another I have to shut down the first and reset everything.

Any ideas? Any else had the same problem? Your help is really appreciated :)

ThunderPants73
16-04-2009, 18:05
I'm having the same issues about my pc and ps3, sorry I can't help, but you're not on your own.

jellybaby
16-04-2009, 18:06
The only advice would be to reset the modem instead of the devices

MovedGoalPosts
16-04-2009, 18:56
The modem is only capable of speaking to a single device. A device is a computer, games console or router.

A switch is simply a junction box. Everything connected into it is seen by everything else. If the modem is plugged into one port of the switch, it will get confused by all the other things attached to the other ports on the switch. Even if you unplug, or at least switch off every connected device, the modem will probably not detect the one thing you have left connected until you power off the modem.

If you want more than one device to be able to operate without rebooting and unplugging stuff you really must have a router in your network.

This article may assist: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33628643-networking-hub-switch-modem-router.html

zing_deleted
17-04-2009, 09:13
As long as the PC is on you could run ICS on that and share the net to the switch I believe that will allow access to all devices but I am not 100%

Modem ---PC with ICS ----Hub/switch---whatever

you may need to install a second network adapter but they are only a fiver. Mind you standard routers are cheap cheap now

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 ----------

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/40558/TP-Link-Cable---DSL-Wired-Router-TL-R460 14 quid plus deliverey