PDA

View Full Version : The existence of evolution

alferret
06-04-2009, 21:12
Were we born of Adam & Eve or did we actually evolve over millenia to what we are now and will our own evolution continue to the point where we become the designers of our own extinction through evolution.

Darwin, the first of our great evolutionist's turned the world upside down with his theories of how life evolved. I'm sure the church tried their hardest to discredit his work.

Hugh
06-04-2009, 21:53
We evolved.

papa smurf
06-04-2009, 22:13
as i understand it all living things on earth have a common dna over 99% shared with other life forms .
so i go for evolved from a common ancestor probably microbial

Damien
06-04-2009, 22:22
To be honest I think we should be beyond the point of thinking of Evolution in terms of does it exist or not. This debate should have been over a long time ago and if you want to debate religion I believe we have another topic under way.

I think the best way to look at Evolution is to understand that this is the working presumption based on our current understanding of the science. Now, Science is sometimes wrong but it rarely is wrong when given such compelling evidence. As such I think any attempts to exploit any minor issues in an attempt to make it seem like it is simply another theory among many (others being creationism more often than not) is intellectuality dishonest. It drives me crazy.

People are perfectly entitled not to believe in evolution due to faith, they are not entitled to pretend this alternative view is somehow equally valid in a scientific context/debate.

Gary L
06-04-2009, 22:24
I don't believe that it all started with Adam and Eve. I haven't really given it much thought really.

Maggy
06-04-2009, 22:28
I can see this becoming another ID thread at some point...:banghead:

Dai
06-04-2009, 23:07
It's all down to a bored alien.

Some bloke marooned here and waiting for the intergalactic AA to arrive and fix his saucer.

Just for fun he decided to have a mess around with our monkey DNA. And here we are..

Gary L
06-04-2009, 23:31

Some bloke marooned here and waiting for the intergalactic AA to arrive and fix his saucer.

Just for fun he decided to have a mess around with our monkey DNA. And here we are..

It could have been 2 different breeds of alien?

Peter_
06-04-2009, 23:42

Who now to alleviate his boredom posts LOL cat picturesDownload Failed (1) (http://smileyshut.com)

Mr_love_monkey
06-04-2009, 23:50
We evolved.

speak for yourself :)

lucy7
07-04-2009, 06:00
Were we born of Adam & Eve or did we actually evolve over millenia to what we are now and will our own evolution continue to the point where we become the designers of our own extinction through evolution.

Darwin, the first of our great evolutionist's turned the world upside down with his theories of how life evolved. I'm sure the church tried their hardest to discredit his work.

Is this thread a subtle (!) form of **** stirring, or a genuine question from a enquiring mind?

You could always chip in on the exixting thread you know! ;)

downquark1
07-04-2009, 10:01
I'd like to point out that there are more choices than that.

But if you're truly curious, a poll maybe a better option.

Hugh
07-04-2009, 12:36
speak for yourself :)
Good point, well made. ;)

TheNorm
07-04-2009, 13:04
...Darwin, ....

Can i just point out that although many people think they know what Darwin was on about, not many actually do.

"Evolution" is another way of saying "changes over time". Orange carrots and large-breasted turkeys are examples of evolution, but in these cases man had a direct influence.

Darwin specifically wrote about "evolution by natural selection", that is the environment "selects" the "fittest" genes in a species, and if it goes on for long enough you end up with a new species. There is nothing intelligent about this process - it is mainly due to chance events.

You often hear misconceptions such as "evolution is about the origin of life", or "evolution means that species are getting better all the time". Not true.

Also, Darwin was not an atheist - he was agnostic.

Pierre
07-04-2009, 13:29
Evolution is the struggle for a species to be successful within the boundaries of its natural surroundings.

When you reach the top of the food chain you no longer need to evolve, unless your surroundings change.

Sharks & Crocs have not evolved since the time of the dinosaurs, because they haven't needed to.

It's unlikely humans will evolve much further unless there was some compelling reason to.

We have the ability to change the surrounding to suit us, not the other way around. That said, there is no doubt that humans are getting larger (and I don't mean fatter) but the average height of humans is increasing. But as this is a recent spurt (last few hundred years or so) this is more likely due to better nutrition and lifestyle than "evolution".

It can be difficult for people to grasp evolution due to the immense timescales required for it to happen.

As for creationism/ I.D. and all that, we'll leave it alone for now shall we.

Hugh
07-04-2009, 13:43
People may (or may not) find this of interest Linky (http://www.theosthinktank.co.uk/Scientists_and_religious_leaders_call_for_end_to_f ighting_over_Darwin's_legacy_.aspx?ArticleID=2867&PageID=14)

"Prominent scientists and leading religious figures have joined forces to call for an end to the fighting over Charles Darwin's legacy.

Ahead of the 200th anniversary of the pioneering naturalist's birth on Thursday, they warn that militant atheists are turning people away from evolution by using it as a weapon with which to attack religion.

However, in a letter published in The Daily Telegraph, they also urge believers in creationism to acknowledge the overwhelming body of evidence that now exists to back up Darwin's theory of how life on Earth has developed. "

downquark1
07-04-2009, 13:56
People may (or may not) find this of interest Linky (http://www.theosthinktank.co.uk/Scientists_and_religious_leaders_call_for_end_to_f ighting_over_Darwin's_legacy_.aspx?ArticleID=2867&PageID=14)

"Prominent scientists and leading religious figures have joined forces to call for an end to the fighting over Charles Darwin's legacy.

Ahead of the 200th anniversary of the pioneering naturalist's birth on Thursday, they warn that militant atheists are turning people away from evolution by using it as a weapon with which to attack religion.

However, in a letter published in The Daily Telegraph, they also urge believers in creationism to acknowledge the overwhelming body of evidence that now exists to back up Darwin's theory of how life on Earth has developed. "

I look forward to the day when I get a PhD and mine name can be pulled out of someone's pocket and thrown at the opponent as an argument via proxy.

Reminds me of a pokemon battle.

Hugh
07-04-2009, 14:09
And the relevance is?

I was highlighting that some people don't think it's a confrontational battle between science and religion, and that it doesn't have to be antagonistic.

Oh, the irony.

Damien
07-04-2009, 14:19
That was a good letter, and they are correct. Evolution in no way disproves god.

downquark1
07-04-2009, 14:35
And the relevance is?

I was highlighting that some people don't think it's a confrontational battle between science and religion, and that it doesn't have to be antagonistic.

Oh, the irony.

Well they are right in that it doesn't have to be antagonistic.

I do however recognise a few of those names and non-antagonistic are not the words I would use to describe them. It's another political maneuver, the article would have been far better if it was simply anonymous.