PDA

View Full Version : Up to ? ? .

kirk1690
29-03-2009, 10:15
I walked into my local yesterday and ordered a pint , when it arrived it was only half full , whats going on I said to barman , new rules he said and he pointed to sigh behind bar UP TO A PINT OF BEER , £ 2.50 ! :p:

AndyCambs
29-03-2009, 10:40
I walked into my local yesterday and ordered a pint , when it arrived it was only half full , whats going on I said to barman , new rules he said and he pointed to sigh behind bar UP TO A PINT OF BEER , £ 2.50 ! :p:

The Weights & Measures (Beer & Cider) Bill of 1997 states:
Any reference to a quantity of beer or cider in any provision made under section 22 above in relation to the sale of draught beer or cider shall be construed as a reference to that quantity disregarding the gas comprised in any foam on the beer or cider

The 1985 Weights & Measures Act also says it is an offence to serve short measures:

Subject to sections 33 to 37 below, any person who, in selling or purporting to sell any goods by weight or other measurement or by number, delivers or causes to be delivered to the buyer—
(a)a lesser quantity than that purported to be sold, or
(b)a lesser quantity than corresponds with the price charged,
shall be guilty of an offence.

Pia
29-03-2009, 10:52
I don't get it. Is this true?

I had to read again thinking i'd missed the joke. The :p: threw me off. :erm:

Druchii
29-03-2009, 10:53
Yes, it is a joke...

Pretty good one too :p:

Kymmy
29-03-2009, 11:12
I think it's a play on ISP's policies in providing broadband with an UPTO figure

bopdude
29-03-2009, 11:24
So random drivel is allowed now................. off to start, my knock knock thread :rolleyes:

Russ
29-03-2009, 11:25
Not exactly where this thread is meant to be going but I'd appreciate clarification as we don't really permit 'random' threads.

Gary L
29-03-2009, 11:26
If he were to really do it he'd probably get away with it. the norm in this country is if you warn somebody that you might not get all of it but some of it. then you're alright.

I don't know whether they would question the barman as to the reason why he can't provide the full pint. he would only have to say that there's too many people wanting the beer so he's making it go around more :)

Paul
29-03-2009, 11:46
The difference is that internet connections have never been fixed (like a pint), by their nature they cannot be.

Taf
29-03-2009, 11:51
What about those villains bringing in their own glasses and topping up from the tap for free? Can't the barman see what's going on?

Or does he just recoup losses on those paying for the beer?