PDA

View Full Version : Cable in a flat?

Oooch
23-03-2009, 17:32
I recently moved into a flat and had the nice little Virgin box on the wall where you plug your co-ax into for your modem or TV, so I did the post code checker thing and everything was fine so ordered a quick start kit from Virgin.

7 days later I recieved my quickstart kit for my internet and hooked it all up only to realise it was blinking sync and nothing else, gave them a call they couldn't do anything and decided to send out an engineer on the 25th.

But being as persistant as I am I decided to try to figure it so I followed the cable into the loft and across and realise it's just.. hanging down into my kitchen and not actually connected into anything. :dozey:

I've torn this place apart now and I cannot find a co-ax out ANYWHERE. There's a brown cable that leads into my house that my partner's father thinks is my co-ax thing for virgin but I can't find where the box is.

Does anyone know where it'd be located or what it looks like?

Chris
23-03-2009, 17:37
I wouldn't worry about it. If the tech is coming, he'll wire you up. I may be wrong but I don't think they use brown coax, that just sounds like old roof aerial cable to me.

Oooch
23-03-2009, 17:53
That one goes into the ground. I was wondering how he'd wire me up if I can't find where the wire would go into?

Chris
23-03-2009, 18:09
You don't need any legacy wiring in your flat. If the tech can't find any evidence of cable coming in he will arrange for a fresh one to come from the street and bring that through the wall either to the existing cable box or he will put in a new one. On the other hand he may have more success at discovering the old wiring.

Either way, you don't need to worry about it, because none of this depends on you being able to show him where anything is. He will work it all out and install whatever equipment is necessary.

Oooch
23-03-2009, 18:17
Excellent, thanks for your help. Now to hope we aren't paying for the service currently or can get a refund for these days.

on in an hour!
23-03-2009, 20:02
brown siamese cable was used from 94 up to a few years ago,so it sounds like a quick reconnect between that and the cable in the kitchen ;)
also,if you havent rung up for activation of your quick start your account payable wont be active yet.

jungleguy
24-03-2009, 22:56
slow flashing sync light normally means a cut in connection to the cabinet/network. This could be as simple as re-plugging in the cable to the tap in the cabinet