PDA

View Full Version : Selling tickets on for profit

lucy7
18-03-2009, 07:34
A lot of this happens now adays.
Some people seem to make good money out of buying tickets for concerts, football matches, etc and then selling them for a vast profit on the internet.

A friend a while ago had tickets for Take Thats first come back concert, she then put them up for sale as when he time came, they could not make the night any more.
She got £560 for each!
She now buys tickets on a regular basis, just to resell for profit via internet auction sites.

When she told me, I had mixed feelings about it really.
Legally you can do it.
Morally(for me) it does not seem right.

My kids are doing the same this year though for Leeds Fest.
They have all bought extra tickets, to sell near the date, as they say they will make enough money to pay for their own ticket this way.

Just doesnt sit comfortable with me.

What do others think?

Kymmy
18-03-2009, 07:57
It's just like any other commodity with a market...until the ticket people do the same as lets sy Glastonbury and lock a ticket in to a person then they'll always be idiots who'll pay over the odds..

Personally I won't pay over face value for them

bopdude
18-03-2009, 08:12
Supply and demand, and as Kymmy says, until a ticket is individualised then there's nothing stopping it, lets face it, it's a dog eat dog world out there and in this current climate, a pound earned is a pound earned, regardless of how. ( legally )

superbiatch
18-03-2009, 09:25
It's just like any other commodity with a market...until the ticket people do the same as lets sy Glastonbury and lock a ticket in to a person then they'll always be idiots who'll pay over the odds..

Meaning you can never get a ticket again unless you pay silly money :rolleyes:

Stephen
18-03-2009, 10:13
I hate people that do this. The amount of gigs and concerts I have missed out on as they have sold out so quickly, only to find 5 minutes later there are already loads on Ebay at stupid prices!!!!

Makes me so Angry

LondonRoad
18-03-2009, 11:59
I hate people that do this. The amount of gigs and concerts I have missed out on as they have sold out so quickly, only to find 5 minutes later there are already loads on Ebay at stupid prices!!!!

Makes me so Angry

It's Joe Public's fault for being willing to pay the inflated prices. I'd rather miss an event that line a tout's pockets.

Stephen
18-03-2009, 12:05
It's Joe Public's fault for being willing to pay the inflated prices. I'd rather miss an event that line a tout's pockets.
I think they need to crack down on this more. The venues and ticket sellers should start printing names on Tickets and require ID when entering the gig.

I think it was Glasto that started putting photos on tickets a couple of years back. At least if they did this for all festivals it would stop some of the touts buying tickets.

Pog66
18-03-2009, 12:08
The no returns policy of many venues/ticket sellers is also a contributory factor. There has always been touts and always been peopel willing to pay over the odds. On the flip side I have turned up at a "sold out" venue and bought tickets from touts 5 mins before kick off/curtain up for considerably less than face value (obviously no guarantee you will get in!!)

chuzzlemonkey
18-03-2009, 12:26
I can see why people do it. Personally its not something I'd do, though.

For example. About a year ago the team i support - West Brom (no accounting for taste, i know) Got to Wembley twice.

West Brom were only making the tickets available to season ticket holders/share holders etc. So i got a bunch of extra tickets and just gave them to my friends at sale value. Didn't even charge them the postage costs.

chuzzlemonkey up for best friend of the year?? ;)

zing_deleted
18-03-2009, 12:47
I wish I had a handfull of the whacko Jacko tickets ;)

chuzzlemonkey
18-03-2009, 12:50
I'm very glad that i don't! lol

Couldn't pay me to go..

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 14:18
I got 8 in total for the MJ and 2 are on the bay.

Just waiting for confirmation of the other 4 before they are on there.

Like some said previously it is a dog eat dog world out there at the moment!!

And yeah i could feel bad but hey if it wasnt be it would of been someone else!!

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-03-2009, 14:38

And yeah i could feel bad but hey if it wasnt be it would of been someone else!!

But you dont rip people off (isnt that what you said in the ticket master thread?)

LondonRoad
18-03-2009, 14:57
Well isn't this forum a wonderfull place to throw up happy coincidences.

We have Saaf_London_Mo looking for a couple of MJ tickets for his good lady (possibly he wants to thrill - er){groan} and we have Solventcandy with spare tickets and he doesn't rip people off.

A quick PM to each other and you'll both be sorted.

Remember to add postage onto the face value of the tickets Solvent ;) You know what these saaf londoners are like. :)

Nidge
18-03-2009, 15:10
Supply and demand IMO. I've got 2 Micheal Jackson tickets for sale which I bought by mistake. I got sent a code by a mate of mine, when I entered it I purchased 2 tickets.

lucy7
18-03-2009, 15:14

We have Saaf_London_Mo looking for a couple of MJ tickets for his good lady (possibly he wants to thrill - er){groan} and we have Solventcandy with spare tickets and he doesn't rip people off.

Remember to add postage onto the face value of the tickets Solvent ;) You know what these saaf londoners are like. :)

:naughty:

zing_deleted
18-03-2009, 15:20
But you dont rip people off (isnt that what you said in the ticket master thread?)

£850 quid on ebay lol

Damien
18-03-2009, 15:22

If Saaf is willing to pay £850 ;) http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/75/33647291-for-sale-michael-jackson-tickets.html

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 15:25

haha!!

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

£850 quid on ebay lol

yep thats correct!!!

With a bit of luck they will sell, if not i will just wait and relist closer to the time!!!

They are wicked seats!!!

Also got 4 tickets in block b1 as well!!

zing_deleted
18-03-2009, 15:26
haha!!

You must have realised you would get some stick? you may well get a buyer on the bat but this is quite a large forum. Its obvious some people will not like it and you get some gip but you never know the buyer may well come from here

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 15:27

I did yeah and i satnd by what i said.

It aint my fault that price's have risen so much.

LondonRoad
18-03-2009, 15:28
If Saaf is willing to pay £850 ;) http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/75/33647291-for-sale-michael-jackson-tickets.html

Starting bid! They might go for more more

{or they might stay unsold - now there's a thought:D}

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 15:29
You must have realised you would get some stick? you may well get a buyer on the bat but this is quite a large forum. Its obvious some people will not like it and you get some gip but you never know the buyer may well come from here

That did cross my mind at the time, but hey lifes a B**** aint it !!!

And business is business at the end of the day.

I aint no full time tout just saw an oppitunity and went for it!! And yeah am sure along the way i am bound to upset some people but such is life!!!

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-03-2009, 15:32
I did yeah and i satnd by what i said.

Face value = £75, you want £850 (unless you want 850 for all 4). And you're standing by you're not ripping people off??!!! Hahaha.

Damien
18-03-2009, 15:33

Yeah, That pesky 800% inflation is a pain isn't it? :cool:

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 15:35
Starting bid! They might go for more more

{or they might stay unsold - now there's a thought:D}

yeah they might not sell at the moment as the market is quite saturated.

I aint in no rush to sell them, i have a few month syet. And am sure the closer it gets the better things will become and mayeb the better price i will get for them.

At the time i priced them compared to other tickets. There where some going for 800 in block 412 which are crap!!! Where as mine are block C1.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Yeah, That pesky 800% inflation is a pain isn't it? :cool:

yeah its a bugger.....

zing_deleted
18-03-2009, 15:42
That did cross my mind at the time, but hey lifes a B**** aint it !!!

And business is business at the end of the day.

I aint no full time tout just saw an oppitunity and went for it!! And yeah am sure along the way i am bound to upset some people but such is life!!!
Trust me mate I aint judging you harshly I think its funny.

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-03-2009, 15:50
What makes me laugh is he bought a ticket for 80 odd quid, selling it for 800plus and then insisting he's not a rip off merchant.

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 15:54
What makes me laugh is he bought a ticket for 80 odd quid, selling it for 800plus and then insisting he's not a rip off merchant.

want makes me laugh is that you keep replying

If ya dont like it then leave!!!!

there are 4000 other people on ebay doing this!!!!

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-03-2009, 16:00
want makes me laugh is that you keep replying

If ya dont like it then leave!!!!

there are 4000 other people on ebay doing this!!!!

i think i might... and spend my time submitting bids to your auction....

Paul
18-03-2009, 16:01
Thats enough bickering, move on please before we step in with mod shoes.

howden
18-03-2009, 16:02
If I had tickets to sell - I'd be trying to offload them sooner rather than later - what are the odds that he won't do all 50 gigs ?!

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 18:27
i think i might... and spend my time submitting bids to your auction....

Hey thats fine

If that makes you feel better that you have to act like a child!!

Raistlin
18-03-2009, 18:30
I think you were all asked to stop bickering - now move on, everybody.

Hom3r
18-03-2009, 18:45
I saw on ebay Jackson tickets £10,000 current offer £15,000, not good spot either.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICHAEL-JACKSON-THIS-IS-IT-CONCERT-TICKETS_W0QQitemZ270357305896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Tickets_Tickets_LE?hash=item270357305896&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I would never buy ticket from e-bay.

Let this be a warning.

A woman in my department bought last June tickets for a show in London for Valentines day. But her husband shift change and he was unable to get cover, she sold the tickets on.

The couple who bought the tickets where sitting in the theatre about to watch the show when the manager showed up and ejected them for using an invalid ticket.

Apparently the original buyer has this before and was told that these tickets where no transferable.

So my friend has had to refund this couple, she contacted to seller how basically said tough s**t, my friend cannot add any feedback as it is past the period to do so.

She has been speaking to e-bay who have been very helpful, and are cofident they will get her money back.

Sirius
18-03-2009, 18:55
No way would i be involved in funding wacko the molester. People have such a short memory

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 18:56
No way would i be involved in funding that molester.

Already been proven innocent.

Did you watch any of the trial?

Can you back up your claims?

rogerdraig
18-03-2009, 19:04
this is the thing i don't understand in these days "WATCH OUT FOR THE NASTY TERORIST" why are tickets being allowed to be sold on ! how can you check on whos buying them and why they want to be there and who they are ?

surely these venues are very attractive targets ?

shouldnt at they know exactly who is suposed to be going and where they will be ?

i see this as far more important that trying to make us have an id to visit the Drs

plus if the music industry is so short of cash because of the teenagers downloading wouldnt it be better to get the prices these go for from the touts into the musicians pockets rather than the touts

though i do see some band by thier own tickets to make a few bucks which you would have been thier managers and record lables job to secure by better management of the tickets in the first place ;)

Ignitionnet
18-03-2009, 19:08
I think it's hilarious when you have companies that appear to be banning touting yet have no problem with online touts, and don't flatter yourselves that's exactly what you are, online touts lining your pockets by depriving people who may actually want to watch the show of tickets. People who genuinely want to go to see these shows can't because a bunch of greedy anal orifices bought the tickets to flog them on at stupidly inflated prices which they can't afford. Leaves a bad taste.

I doubt however that organisers will be interested in putting names on tickets, that would after all cost them money and they really don't care so long as the tickets get sold.

pedantic
18-03-2009, 19:24
Ticket touting was banned in football 3 years ago, why there isn't a blanket ban is a little confusing. There was an article from last years Guardian...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/06/ukcrime1

A crackdown began on ticket touts began in September 2006. The Premier League wrote to the owners of 140 websites to warn them they must stop trading or risk being prosecuted. It is thought the trade could yield profits of around £30m a year. Tickets which have a face value of as little as £20 can be sold for up to 14 times their value for key matches involving Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal

Now, I realise football is different, because of the security implications, but still...

Sirius
18-03-2009, 19:32
Already been proven innocent.

Did you watch any of the trial?

Can you back up your claims?

Yes i did watch some of the trial

Yes he had the money to pay for the best as did OJ Simpson

There's no smoke without fire TWICE.

Personally i would not give the man a red cent.

The Hitman
18-03-2009, 19:40
I just made an offer for 2 tickets. 50p and half a pack of fags. Wonder if my generous offer will be accepted:disturbd:

Maggy
18-03-2009, 19:42
Please stay on topic.

cnewton2k
18-03-2009, 20:02
yeah well call me a tout or what ever you like, at the end of the day i saw an opportunity and i took it, big deal.

I aint ashamed of it and really aint that fussed if you lot dont approve either.

lucy7
19-03-2009, 07:19
yeah well call me a tout or what ever you like, at the end of the day i saw an opportunity and i took it, big deal.

I aint ashamed of it and really aint that fussed if you lot dont approve either.

Your a tout or what ever you like!;);):):erm:

Stephen
19-03-2009, 15:02

If it wasn't for people like yourself, then I may actually have been able to purchase tickets!:mad::td:

However much I really want to go there is no way I am forking out hundreds of £s for tickets that are only worth about £80 for a pair.

The sooner the industry makes a move and does something about online touting the better!

Saaf_laandon_mo
19-03-2009, 18:04
If it wasn't for people like yourself, then I may actually have been able to purchase tickets!:mad::td:

However much I really want to go there is no way I am forking out hundreds of £s for tickets that are only worth about £80 for a pair.

The sooner the industry makes a move and does something about online touting the better!

Touts justify what they do by saying they saw an opportunity which others did not and had the foresight to buy tickets. Thats absolute rubbish. The only difference between a genuine fan who didn't get a ticket and a tout that did is down to luck. Solvent made a deal of saying if got up early , implying others didn't. He got lucky, and he's just a greedy rip off merchant that ordered more tickets than he wanted with the intention to sell them at 800percent inflation.

cnewton2k
19-03-2009, 18:40
Your a tout or what ever you like!;);):):erm:

lol :):):)

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Touts justify what they do by saying they saw an opportunity which others did not and had the foresight to buy tickets. Thats absolute rubbish. The only difference between a genuine fan who didn't get a ticket and a tout that did is down to luck. Solvent made a deal of saying if got up early , implying others didn't. He got lucky, and he's just a greedy rip off merchant that ordered more tickets than he wanted with the intention to sell them at 800percent inflation.

I am a greedy rip off merchant, i must be bad, i must not do anything for my own finanical gain or profit. MY BAD

Same old record playing again and again and again!!!

papa smurf
19-03-2009, 18:54
lol :):):)

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

I am a greedy rip off merchant, i must be bad, i must not do anything for my own finanical gain or profit. MY BAD

£850 starting bid for a 2 jackson tickets face value £84 :eeek:

+£5.95 postage- i think your self analysis is spot on

Sirius
19-03-2009, 19:24
£850 starting bid for a 2 jackson tickets face value £84 :eeek:

+£5.95 postage- i think your self analysis is spot on

Indeed :tu:

cnewton2k
19-03-2009, 20:33
indeed

LondonRoad
20-03-2009, 09:41
what goes around...etc;)

superbiatch
20-03-2009, 09:49
I have no idea how useful this site is, but a friend just told me about it http://www.beatthetouts.com/

Incidentally, i've just beaten the touts and landed myself some U2 tickets which i WILL NOT be selling on for a profit ;)

Nugget
20-03-2009, 13:23
I have no idea how useful this site is, but a friend just told me about it http://www.beatthetouts.com/

Incidentally, i've just beaten the touts and landed myself some U2 tickets which i WILL NOT be selling on for a profit ;)

Although if you'd like to sell one at face value, Mrs Nug would love you forever ;)

superbiatch
20-03-2009, 13:31
Although if you'd like to sell one at face value, Mrs Nug would love you forever ;)

If him indoors doesn't buck his ideas up, Mrs Nug can come with me ;)

Aren't there any left? I tried again an hour or so later to see if there were any left and it seemed to intimate there were. I paid £55 each for Don Valley Stadium standing. no point going to a concert and sitting down :p:

TheDaddy
20-03-2009, 13:53

You seem to be making a big deal of it, why not just be happy with ripping people of rather than bragging about it and rubbing peoples noses in it, you might think you have nothing to be ashamed of but it's hardly some thing to be proud of.

Nugget
20-03-2009, 13:58
If him indoors doesn't buck his ideas up, Mrs Nug can come with me ;)

Aren't there any left? I tried again an hour or so later to see if there were any left and it seemed to intimate there were. I paid £55 each for Don Valley Stadium standing. no point going to a concert and sitting down :p:

She's trying for Don Valley, but has had absolutely no luck - she's considering Wembley (if she can get one there), so she can make a weekend of it :)

superbiatch
20-03-2009, 14:07
She's trying for Don Valley, but has had absolutely no luck - she's considering Wembley (if she can get one there), so she can make a weekend of it :)

I've booked a hotel also (before i got the tickets while prices were still low!), but i'm not sure what else there is to see/do in Sheffield :dozey:

I'm keeping an eye on it as some friends want tickets so will let you know if i spot anymore coming available.

Damien
20-03-2009, 14:32

It's amoral, You didn't see an opportunity nor is this simply (respectable) business. There were a finite amount of tickets available you so got as many as you could so you could hold the people who missed out to ransom. Those four tickets would have gone to someone who actually wanted to go, and now they are not.

zing_deleted
20-03-2009, 14:35
It's amoral, You didn't see an opportunity nor is this simply (respectable) business. There were a finite amount of tickets available you so got as many as you could so you could hold the people who missed out to ransom. Those four tickets would have gone to someone who actually wanted to go, and now they are not.

That is not true. If someone pays £850 for tickets then they really really really want to go ;)

Raistlin
20-03-2009, 14:37
.....or they really really really need their head examined :erm:

danielf
20-03-2009, 14:39
.....or they really really really need their head examined :erm:

Well, we are talking about Michael Jackson tickets... :erm: ;)

karlos00
20-03-2009, 14:48
This reminds me of a story a mate of mine told me when he had a spare couple of U2 tickets for the Zooropa tour. He listed them on the company bulletin board and attracted bids for about £350 for the two. I can't remember the face value but I would suggest £30, so a nice mark-up. The winner comes over to his desk having withdrawn the cash and my mate says "It's cool, just £60. You've proven that you are a U2 fan and that you will appreciate the tickets" I believe they spent the rest of the day and maybe a large chunk of the cash in the pub. True gent my mate is.:cool:

LondonRoad
20-03-2009, 15:22
This reminds me of a story a mate of mine told me when he had a spare couple of U2 tickets for the Zooropa tour. He listed them on the company bulletin board and attracted bids for about £350 for the two. I can't remember the face value but I would suggest £30, so a nice mark-up. The winner comes over to his desk having withdrawn the cash and my mate says "It's cool, just £60. You've proven that you are a U2 fan and that you will appreciate the tickets" I believe they spent the rest of the day and maybe a large chunk of the cash in the pub. True gent my mate is.:cool:

good un. that goes some way to restoring my faith in humanity. :)

papa smurf
22-03-2009, 16:37

i watched them in my ebay 0 bids :eeek:

cnewton2k
22-03-2009, 16:43
Yeah they may not of sold this time but they will!! I aint in no rush

lucy7
03-04-2009, 09:09
Yeah they may not of sold this time but they will!! I aint in no rush

You got rid of them yet Candy man???:)

papa smurf
03-04-2009, 18:45
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/philclarke2k_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

;)

cnewton2k
03-04-2009, 21:27
I put them bk on at a better starting price, got prpa load of stick of mi mates back home! true MJ fan and that!!