PDA

View Full Version : Virgin post code checker

atmadden
14-03-2009, 10:42
I am about to move into a new flat. I know its definitely in a cabled area but when I looked around I didn't see any cable connections in the house. I noticed next door has cable as can see grey box under the window. These are flats above 2 shops. I assumed as next door has cable I would be ok but on checking post code it says I can't get cabled services but i checked next doors address and they can. can this be correct?

Cheers

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 13:46
What's your post code and flat number? (PM it to me and i'll check it here in the office)

Don't send me any other details, though! :tu:

atmadden
14-03-2009, 15:54
PM sent Thanks mate

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 16:03
Had a look mate, sorry to say that there's 8 properties on your postcode who can't receive the VM service and yours is one of them apparently. :(

However if you give sales a bell they may be willing to send the spotters out to have a look, because there's a few properties in your street who can get the service.

Give them a call 0800 183 1234 the worst they can do is say no :tu:

atmadden
14-03-2009, 16:09
Thanks a lot for looking mate. When I called them this morning they won't send spotters out until I have moved in so have now turned down flat but have lost £190 in fees. Will have to find somewhere else.

chuzzlemonkey
14-03-2009, 16:14
Ahh, sorry to hear that! That's really not nice.

To be fair best thing for the future would be to check whether you can get the VM service before handing over any money to the house people.

jungleguy
14-03-2009, 22:35
Thanks a lot for looking mate. When I called them this morning they won't send spotters out until I have moved in so have now turned down flat but have lost £190 in fees. Will have to find somewhere else.

that's nonsense. Spotter will look at any address any time as long as they get your details, fill out this form in future, it bypasses sales who aren't the most help full of departments in these circumstances.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

m419
15-03-2009, 11:19
That Virgin Media post code checker is very incorrect,the Telewest and NTL ones where accurate,wonder what happened!

It must be loosing Virgin Media custom!

I just put mine in and says I cant get cable yet i have all 3 services!!!! LOL

And then I put a neighbours post code and says its a Analogue area!!!

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 12:16
That Virgin Media post code checker is very incorrect,the Telewest and NTL ones where accurate,wonder what happened!

It must be loosing Virgin Media custom!

I just put mine in and says I cant get cable yet i have all 3 services!!!! LOL

And then I put a neighbours post code and says its a Analogue area!!!

Hmm, i'm not sure what the difference is with the checkers to be honest, apart from the difference with the company logo! lol

m419
15-03-2009, 13:25
I think when they merged the companies they created a new database and just threw everything into it and half the information has been lost.

You'll also notice that if you live in Milton Keynes, it will not recognise your post code at all whilst in Westminster your address will be displayed but it will say only National services are available when clearly Analogue TV and Cable Broadband are available in Westminster.

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 13:28
When NTL:Telewest rebranded they scrapped the ex TW property checker and replaced it with the ex NTL one so maybe that's where the cock up was?

I did hear of one case where some customers in the street had digital tv but the remainder of the customers in that street could only get the analogue service.

Why? No idea but they wouldn't alter the servicability status of the properties in the street.

jungleguy
15-03-2009, 14:48
FYI Westminster is an ex BT cable franchise , bought by NTL. Part of the agreement was that no digital services would be offered as this would compete with BT. Therefore National BB available through a BT phone. A bit of a waste of time buying it in my opinion, but NTL wanted the prestige of having Westminster.

Atmadden's address is not on the data base as its a NEW flat above a shop, it was never there when the cable was laid and original surveys done, so needs putting on the data base by a spotter. Its nothing to do with the merge of data bases, in this case.

The reason why some addresses are Digital and some analogue is a mystery to me, (unless for example your in an analogue area like Milton Keynes). I heard its to do with distance to the cabinet in the street. Similarly I've heard that some addresses in a street can have 50mb and others can't, for similar reasons

chuzzlemonkey
15-03-2009, 15:16
Ah didn't realise it was a new property...the address is already showing on the database, though (checked it yesterday) it's showing as unserviceable, though.

jungleguy
15-03-2009, 16:03
I'm only quoting atmadden. Unless its new to him, maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Even so at a guess all it needs is a wayleave signing to get services put on.

m419
15-03-2009, 18:42
[quote=jungleguy;34753570]FYI Westminster is an ex BT cable franchise , bought by NTL. Part of the agreement was that no digital services would be offered as this would compete with BT. Therefore National BB available through a BT phone. A bit of a waste of time buying it in my opinion, but NTL wanted the prestige of having Westminster.

Cable Broadband is available over the ex-BT network(Westminster only) because I know someone that has it together with Analogue TV. The agreement doesnt mention nothing about Digital services, it says 'NTL must not offer its own Telephone service down its own infrastructure to residential customers'

Westminster has NTL's Telephone network but only has pre-2000 residential customers using it,some businesses use it as well.

The competition commission would not allow BT to block NTL from offering Digital.

Furthermore,because the goverment is pushing for Digital TV and High Speed Broadband, they would not oppose Virgin Media expanding its cable network to those areas. Westminster council probably would though as they have this obsession with not allowing anyone to dig up streets.

And lastly even if BT did originally block NTL from offering Digital,then they will change that because Virgin Media will stop offering services in those areas and means BT wont get any revenue because nobody will be using that Cable network!

jungleguy
15-03-2009, 21:37
m419

why would the competition commission get involved with an area that can have broadband from Sky, VM National, Talk Talk etc, sorry you lost the argument with the first shot you fired on that point.

As for the Government pushing high speed BB and DTV..... why aren't all new builds in cabled areas, cable enabled?

Out of interest do you know the other area which was ex BT cable? I do.

Also do you know how much it costs to upgrade a cabinet. All that BT did was leave a duct. Nothing there can be tied into the VM network without a hefty upgrade. I hope you'll understand what I'm talking about, your solution is very simplistic but not practical.

ccarmock
16-03-2009, 20:35
The checker has been totally wrong for me many times. It has variously claimed I am in an area fully serviced with digital TV etc (correct) to then state NO cable was available (interesting sicne I already have it!), to then state only analogue TV is available (also wrong). At least now it says cable is available again. However it does claim that 50 MB/s is not available, yet the UBR I am connected to has been upgraded and does have 50 Mb/s customers on it. That UBR is New Malden and has apparently been able to support 50 Mb/s for some time, yet the postcode checker still refuses to confirm that for my postcode.

m419
17-03-2009, 14:50
m419

why would the competition commission get involved with an area that can have broadband from Sky, VM National, Talk Talk etc, sorry you lost the argument with the first shot you fired on that point.

As for the Government pushing high speed BB and DTV..... why aren't all new builds in cabled areas, cable enabled?

Out of interest do you know the other area which was ex BT cable? I do.

Also do you know how much it costs to upgrade a cabinet. All that BT did was leave a duct. Nothing there can be tied into the VM network without a hefty upgrade. I hope you'll understand what I'm talking about, your solution is very simplistic but not practical.

I know it will be very expensive to do, but NTL should have thought about that before taking over the franchises, I suppose they could offer Cable Broadband and IPTV if they arent willing to upgrade the network to Digital. But its not a last minute decision, Upgrade the franchises or close them down!

The other franchise is in Milton keynes and as i rightly remember Barbican and a place in scotland.