PDA

View Full Version : benefit and rent

GazCBG
13-03-2009, 20:07
I am on Incapacity Benefit and living a home at the moment, but am having problems getting on with my parents at the moment.

If I was to move out would I be eligible for my rent being paid or help towards ?

xpod
13-03-2009, 20:28
I am on Incapacity Benefit and living a home at the moment, but am having problems getting on with my parents at the moment.

If I was to move out would I be eligible for my rent being paid or help towards ?

I believe if you are on benefits of any sort your housing benefit will be paid although that might not be the case for incapacity benefit.Not 100% sure one way or the other to be perfectly honest.
Perhaps trying to make peace with your mum & dad would be a better idea if you have health issues.....unless that`s part of the problem of course.;)

EDIT:INFO.... ;-)
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Couple of mentions about incapacity benefit in there.

dilli-theclaw
13-03-2009, 21:14
Well as incapacity benefit is not a means tested benefit it meant that in my case I still had to pay a sum towards tax and rent.

Do you get DLA? If you get that you /may/ also qualify for income support in which case you are more than likely to get full rent and tax paid.

peanut
13-03-2009, 21:16
I dont think any advice on benefits is going the clear cut as a lot of info is needed and decisions are based on a lot of other things.

I'm on Incap and DLA but as my wife has just been made redundant I can now claim income support on her behalf as well as carers allowance. With income support (instead of JSA etc), the wife can then claim full housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Benefits are a minefield, the paperwork must be designed to put anyone off but the best advice is to see a benefits advisor at your local job / social centre.

dilli-theclaw
13-03-2009, 21:19
...and possibly a visit to the benefit section on the forum on moneysavingexpert.com

TheDaddy
13-03-2009, 21:25
I dont think you get housing benefit if you make yourself homeless, which is what you'll be doing if you leave your parents

GazCBG
13-03-2009, 21:32
Thanks everyone
I am going to try and work it out with my parents, I think that is for the best

dilli-theclaw
13-03-2009, 21:34
Yup - good luck with that :tu: