PDA

View Full Version : Calls from Barclays Bank

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 18:44
I'm being plagued by calls from Barclays bank regarding the previous owner of the phone number's Debts. I've requested at least 6 times to have my number removed, and have filed a complaint with Barclay's head office. But I'm still getting the calls.

I've spoken to VM CS, and they've said that all I can do is change the number, or make a complaint to Nuisance Calls Beareau.

Is it worth making a complaint to NCB? or should I just get my number changed?

These numbers aren't withheld, if you call back, you get a "you were called today by your bank" message.

I am registered with TPS

Raistlin
12-03-2009, 18:48
I've moved this to Lifestyle as it doesn't appear to be an issue directly related to your VM fixed phone service.

We had a similar problem when we moved into this house, the number here had previously been used by a 24 hour haulage company and we were getting all sorts of calls, from all sorts of people, at all sorts of hours. In the end we got BT to change the number.

Perhaps you could actually make a complaint to Virgin that you are receiving nuisance calls, and ask them to change your number? I know it's a short term hassle, but it should solve the problem in the long term.

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 18:56
I've moved this to Lifestyle as it doesn't appear to be an issue directly related to your VM fixed phone service.

We had a similar problem when we moved into this house, the number here had previously been used by a 24 hour haulage company and we were getting all sorts of calls, from all sorts of people, at all sorts of hours. In the end we got BT to change the number.

Perhaps you could actually make a complaint to Virgin that you are receiving nuisance calls, and ask them to change your number? I know it's a short term hassle, but it should solve the problem in the long term.

Fair enough about the move.

Ive complained to VM, who've said they can change it for me, but there's no guarantee that changing number will make any difference, I might get calls for another person, and the hassle is horrendous, I've got so many places that I'd need to change my number with, not including friends and family. (It took me about 3 weeks to get everything changed to THIS number)

Plus then there's the fact I'll have to re-register with TPS...

Raistlin
12-03-2009, 19:00
Yeah, that is a problem - we hadn't given the number to many people, and got it changed fairly soon after the calls started.

I guess the only thing that you can do is to keep on at Barclays, and to keep telling the people that call that you're not the person they're after. There really isn't much (if anything) that VM can do beyond changing the number, they have no control over the people calling you.

I wouldn't imagine that the TPS are likely to be of any help to you at all, the TPS relies almost entirely on companies/organisations a) agreeing to join them, and then b) agreeing to follow their rules.

Mezzle
12-03-2009, 19:15
my point was asking whether it's worth getting the NCB involved (who are a police branch If memory serves me correctly)

Raistlin
12-03-2009, 19:33
I suppose you could try, I'm not sure if they'd classify this as a true 'nuisance' call though (although it's obviously causing you hassle, and some distress). I suppose it wouldn't hurt, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

chuzzlemonkey
12-03-2009, 20:51
my point was asking whether it's worth getting the NCB involved (who are a police branch If memory serves me correctly)

NCB now only take calls from customers who have a crime reference number, so, unfortunately, I would advise not to call them as there won't be anything further they can do for you.

If i were you i'd go for the free number change. It only takes them around 24hrs to change your number usually. And where it is possible that you could get a number that belonged to someone else who had debts etc, it is equally as likely that you will have a number that you'll have no hassle with.

AntiSilence
12-03-2009, 21:45
How about getting a solicitor to send them a letter saying that if they don't stop, you'll sue them?

chuzzlemonkey
12-03-2009, 21:47
That could do it...if the letter gets picked up by someone that is.

AntiSilence
12-03-2009, 21:50
That could do it...if the letter gets picked up by someone that is.

Still worth a try, I think.

cookie_365
13-03-2009, 00:26
Harassment by debt collectors is a criminal offence under the Protection From Harrassment Act 1997.

Keep a detailed record of any calls/contacts.

Next time they call ask for their contact information. Write to them pointing out that you have no liability to them and if they think otherwise invite them to send you proof in writing of the debt.

Tell them that if they continue to harass you you will provide proof of the harassment to Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading inviting them to consider criminal proceedings or the revocation of their credit license. Remind them of the recent judgement of Ferguson v British Gas.