PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers or television?

lucy7
12-03-2009, 15:45
We never buy newspapers now.
We get our fix of what is going on in the world by local, uk, and international news television stations, as we want to be informed of what is happening in the world.

We stopped buying newspapers as we felt they were biased and at times ill informed, and down right scandlous! (we do check the papers out by net at times though, like via a forum link)

We were Express readers up untill 10 years ago though.

Why do you buy newspapers, if you do, which ones, and why?
Or are you like us and get informed by the mainly unbiased television?;)

dilli-theclaw
12-03-2009, 15:52
I get my newspapers on cassette ;)

The rest of my news I listen to on local radio and TV

LondonRoad
12-03-2009, 15:53
I still buy a paper everyday. I have wondered why I do it somedays recently.

I'd say information from t'internet is more likely to be main source of news though. Often I'm already aware of the news before I read the newspaper but I do prefer a more indepth report than you usually get on TV or internet.

The paper I normally buy, the Herald, had a good mix of local, national and international news but I think there's been a dumbing down in some articles recently. The coverage of some stories of local interest have been no better than teletext. Still buying but teetering on the edge... If I stop buying that I won't buy a replacement, I'll read the metro when I get to work. :)

Damien
12-03-2009, 15:55
Sometimes buy The Times before I get on the tube if there is anything I want to read.

gazzae
12-03-2009, 15:56
The only time I buy a paper is for something to read on the plane if I'm going to England or elsewhere with work. Otherwise I read them on the net.

Ramrod
12-03-2009, 16:02
I get all my news from the internet and Radio 4 :erm:

Halcyon
12-03-2009, 17:45
Most news I will see whenI log out of hotmail or whilst just browsing on forums and the Internet....one link to another link, etc.
I will read my local newspaper though on a thursday for the weekly guide to cinema listings, what's going on at the weekend, things to do, etc and to get a quick catch up on what is going on locally.

My sister sometimes buy's one of the weekend papers, can't remember which one it is with all the travel supplements. They are often inteesting reading about new places to plan holidays to, have good articles, and photos.

zing_deleted
12-03-2009, 17:59
get enough news for me here on the forum.

joglynne
12-03-2009, 18:04
John and I stopped buying newspapers 15 years ago when we decided that they were an inaccurate, biased, fabricated, scaremongering waste of space and not worth the time and money we spent on them.

We have 2 local free papers which keep us informed about local issues and if a subject crops up in one of these, or we wish to look deeper into any item that interests us from the TV and radio news programs then we would rather search the Internet for as many sources as possible to try to get a balanced view.

Sirius
12-03-2009, 18:57

:tu:

Same here

alferret
12-03-2009, 23:05
Although I will confess to buying the *cough* Daily Mail *cough* I get most of my news and current affairs information from radio 4.

xocemp
12-03-2009, 23:28

Same :)

Osem
13-03-2009, 09:20
No newspapers here except for a weekender with a TV supplement.

lauzjp
13-03-2009, 10:18
this may seem odd as I work in a newsagents - but I rarely read a newspaper. I don't watch much telly either! I do spend more time on the internet, cos I can do lots more at once - catch up with friends, gossip, the news, do some shopping... ;)

Mick Fisher
13-03-2009, 22:47
No Newspapers here. They are a waste of time and money IMO.

Hugh
14-03-2009, 00:10
Daily paper (Times, sometimes Telegraph, sometimes Independent, Saturday Telegraph, Sunday Times). and Economist and various other periodicals - imho they go into greater depth that t'intraweeb and the radio/TV.