PDA

View Full Version : Any medical People on board?

Nidge
11-03-2009, 19:39
I've got an abscess under my tooth, the doctor has given me some antibiotics to clear it up which it's doing nicely, it's on the right hand side of my mouth on the bottom set of teeth, today when I got up I noticed a lump under my chin not far from where the abscess is, it's not a hard lump it's quite soft it's like I've got a 2nd chin. Will this be part of the abscess breaking up? The left side under my chin is OK it's just the right hand that's bothering me.

Mick
11-03-2009, 19:41
Sounds like it's got worse - not better. When did you start antibiotics?

Nidge
11-03-2009, 19:43
Sounds like it's got worse - not better. When did you start antibiotics?

Started them on Monday, the swelling has gone down round the tooth area and round my cheek area, it's just under the chin thats causing me issues.

Russ
11-03-2009, 19:43
Salu might have some idea.

superbiatch
11-03-2009, 19:45
Have you been the dentist Nidge?

Nidge
11-03-2009, 19:46
Have you been the dentist Nidge?

Can't get in till the beginning of April.

superbiatch
11-03-2009, 19:48
Can't get in till the beginning of April.

I'd be inclined to go to an emergency one - phone NHS direct for your nearest dental hospital. I'm no expert, but i'm sure a dentist should be looking at that :erm:

rogerdraig
11-03-2009, 19:50
personally i would pop to casualty they at least will get you in contact with an emergency dentist or get a dental person from hospital to see you

Nidge
11-03-2009, 19:51
I'd be inclined to go to an emergency one - phone NHS direct for your nearest dental hospital. I'm no expert, but i'm sure a dentist should be looking at that :erm:

It's starting to look that way, dentists round here are like chicken lips at the moment, they aren't taking any patients on, the one I use is on holiday and not back for another week then his next appointment is the first week in April.

Mick
11-03-2009, 19:55
Pus causes the abscess - So if the abscess has propagated it needs to be drained by a dentist as soon possible. Antibiotics alone will not cure an abscess.

You need to ring your dentist and request an emergency appointment. Failing that talk to your doctor about the pain/swelling they may get you into an emergency appointment with any NHS dentist.

rogerdraig
11-03-2009, 19:55
i wouldnt wait belive me absesses like that can get extremely painful breaking my leg was a doddle in pain terms to the abscess that went really bad

Mick
11-03-2009, 20:08
i wouldnt wait belive me absesses like that can get extremely painful breaking my leg was a doddle in pain terms to the abscess that went really bad

I second that - Severe dental pains, the type that keep you awake all night are the worse forms of pain ever.

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 20:29
you do know the worse case senario of a poorly treated abscess?

southwell
11-03-2009, 20:46
My g/f went to an emergency dentist with a broken tooth at the back, which needed route canal :shocked: they would only give her painkillers, two weeks on and she could only get an appoinment for tomorrow, privately. :mad:

I'd be inclined to go to hospital as it doesn't seem like the emergency appointments have more than a few mins to see patients.

superbiatch
11-03-2009, 20:53
My g/f went to an emergency dentist with a broken tooth at the back, which needed route canal :shocked: they would only give her painkillers, two weeks on and she could only get an appoinment for tomorrow, privately. :mad:

I'd be inclined to go to hospital as it doesn't seem like the emergency appointments have more than a few mins to see patients.

I actually meant the dental hospital although i didn't explain it very well. I'm not sure if they are in most cities though (I've used the one in Liverpool once).

southwell
11-03-2009, 20:55
I actually meant the dental hospital although i didn't explain it very well. I'm not sure if they are in most cities though (I've used the one in Liverpool once).
O right, sorry. Ive never heard of one before. :D

Ramrod
11-03-2009, 21:39
Nidge, this could be urgent m8. The infection may get into the bone....which you really don't want. If you turn up at a dentist looking like you say you look, you will be seen....
Alternatively, go to casualty....asap

Nidge
11-03-2009, 21:43
Nidge, this could be urgent m8. The infection may get into the bone....which you really don't want. If you turn up at a dentist looking like you say you look, you will be seen....
Alternatively, go to casualty....asap

The area around the tooth has gone down it's just the bit under the right side of my chin thats worrying me, it's soft and not hard, I'm thinking it could be a bit of the abscess because the abscess was on the bottom jaw.

Ramrod
11-03-2009, 21:43
The area around the tooth has gone down it's just the bit under the right side of my chin thats worrying me, it's soft and not hard, I'm thinking it could be a bit of the abscess because the abscess was on the bottom jaw.Is it tender/painful?

Nidge
11-03-2009, 21:47
Is it tender/painful?
No mate it's soft it's not painful at all.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Is it tender/painful?

On Monday when I went to the doctors it looked like I'd got a golfball in my mouth, I'm wondering if it's stretched the skin a little.

Ramrod
11-03-2009, 21:51
it's not painful at all.Thats probably a good sign....nasty infection/abscess should be tender/painful....
Blocked parotid/submandibular gland? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_gland)

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

On Monday when I went to the doctors it looked like I'd got a golfball in my mouth, I'm wondering if it's stretched the skin a little.Probably has, no biggie :shrug:

Nidge
11-03-2009, 21:54
Thats probably a good sign....nasty infection/abscess should be tender/painful....
Blocked parotid/submandibular gland? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_gland)

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Probably has, no biggie :shrug:

Cheers for the advice Rammy, I noticed it this morning when I was brushing my teeth I felt a little wobble under my chin I looked and thought mmmmm whats that.

zing_deleted
11-03-2009, 21:54
The pus can escape but you should have tasted it if it has? that can mean the infection has not gone and the relief is only temporary. As Ramrod says it can eat into your bone but thats still not the worst of it

http://www.toothandteeth.com/tooth-abscess.html

Nidge
11-03-2009, 22:00
The pus can escape but you should have tasted it if it has? that can mean the infection has not gone and the relief is only temporary. As Ramrod says it can eat into your bone but thats still not the worst of it

http://www.toothandteeth.com/tooth-abscess.html

Cheers Zing, it looks like having to wait for the dentist to come back off holiday, I'm S*** scared of dentists I've only got to walk by one and im sweating and shaking.

Ramrod
11-03-2009, 23:01
Don't wait too long Nidge....

southwell
12-03-2009, 08:03
The question you have to ask yourself is are you comfortable waiting for three weeks for something which could cause you more problems in the long run than just getting it looked at properly now?

Angua
12-03-2009, 09:12
How many days of antibiotics were you given?

It may be until the course is completed you will not know for sure what it is. However if you cannot bear to see any other dentist you must have a very high pain threshold as for most people the abscess pain alone would drive them to see the first available dentist.

Even a visit to your Doctor would be worth it just to be sure there is no further complications.

southwell
12-03-2009, 09:53
How many days of antibiotics were you given?

It may be until the course is completed you will not know for sure what it is. However if you cannot bear to see any other dentist you must have a very high pain threshold as for most people the abscess pain alone would drive them to see the first available dentist.

Even a visit to your Doctor would be worth it just to be sure there is no further complications.
He has stated he feels no pain at all with it.

Angua
12-03-2009, 10:29
He has stated he feels no pain at all with it.

I was referring to the original abscess for the pain part the new lump pain could be being masked by the antibiotics.

southwell
12-03-2009, 10:31
I was referring to the original abscess for the pain part the new lump pain could be being masked by the antibiotics.
O ok, sorry. :dunce:

Taf
12-03-2009, 13:52
Gum disease has been linked to heart failure... get it checked! Even NHS dentists HAVE to provide emergency cover of some sort... though often will just tell you to go the Emergency Out Of Hours NHS service in your area.

superbiatch
13-03-2009, 11:44
Any news Nidge? :confused:

Nidge
15-03-2009, 19:10
Any news Nidge? :confused:

Hi all, the abcsess has gone down after a weeks course of antibiotics, the swelling under my jaw seems to be going away every day. I'm waiting for my dentist to get back off his jollies so I can go and see him. Thanks for asking :tu: