PDA

View Full Version : Gonna sound snobby, but...

AdamD
09-03-2009, 17:38
So I occasionally go to our local tesco's express store for milk, butter and the usual things you run out of and I have to wonder, why do tesco recruit some of the laziest, unprofessional people ever?

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the time I've been to this local store, at least one member of the staff is yapping on their mobile phone to their friends or sending texts.
Most of the time there's only 1 person on the counter (Therefore a long queue) and the rest are standing around the store talking to one another about the latest movie girl/boyfriend or other nonense.
Very rarely do i ever see a few of the staff there, wear the proper issued tesco's uniforms, often wearing shirts half done up, without any ties etc.
One of the female staff members has a bright pink mohawk style hair cut and wears a THICK gold chain around her neck
One of the guys there has his shirt unbuttoned about half way down, with yet another thick gold chain around the neck
Another guy only ever speaks to people to say the amount, he never says hello, or goodbye, even when you say it to him.

And this is just one small store :D

LemonyBrainAid
09-03-2009, 17:53
I work for Sainsburys in the Surrey region and company policy is:

No offensive tattoos / piercings / wacky hair colours, etc
No mobile phones on shop floor
No money, no nectar card, no discount card on shop floor
Perfect uniform all the time
Monthly reviews of checkout staff for recording of manners, taken care of the customer, etc

Maybe you just got unlucky at tesco.
Aaaand the moral is, shop at sainsbury's. Try something new today.

lucy7
09-03-2009, 18:04
I may be wrong here, but arent the express stores franchises?

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

If I am right, I will continue!!!!!;)

Stuart
09-03-2009, 18:18
So I occasionally go to our local tesco's express store for milk, butter and the usual things you run out of and I have to wonder, why do tesco recruit some of the laziest, unprofessional people ever?

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the time I've been to this local store, at least one member of the staff is yapping on their mobile phone to their friends or sending texts.
Most of the time there's only 1 person on the counter (Therefore a long queue) and the rest are standing around the store talking to one another about the latest movie girl/boyfriend or other nonense.
Very rarely do i ever see a few of the staff there, wear the proper issued tesco's uniforms, often wearing shirts half done up, without any ties etc.
One of the female staff members has a bright pink mohawk style hair cut and wears a THICK gold chain around her neck
One of the guys there has his shirt unbuttoned about half way down, with yet another thick gold chain around the neck
Another guy only ever speaks to people to say the amount, he never says hello, or goodbye, even when you say it to him.

Not all Tesco stores are like that. Our local one is quite good (service wise). Although it did hit the news a year or so back when someone was murdered with a Samurai sword in the entrance. And yes, it is the big store at Lewisham.

As for your store, well, I suspect one cause. A combination of staff on minimum pay with pathetic bonuses and ineffective management.

Have you tried complaining to the manager, or Tesco themselves? I am sure Head Office would be very interested to know if one of their stores is giving them a bad name, even if it is a franchise.

Chris
09-03-2009, 18:26

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. And I doubt any of Tesco's budding store managers covet a posting in a small Express outlet, so you can bet the on-site supervision of the chavvy staff isn't up to much either.

icestar2
09-03-2009, 18:33
We have one of the big Tesco's were I live with 2 floors. Its basically a hypermarket lol. The staff are all normally very friendly and always say hello and goodbye etc etc.

My cousin works there an tells me its run very strictly with team meeting etc etc all the time. Maybe your just unlucky and your store is run by a manager who just cant be arsed.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. And I doubt any of Tesco's budding store managers covet a posting in a small Express outlet, so you can bet the on-site supervision of the chavvy staff isn't up to much either.

Really hate the use of the word chavvy. Its often put on people who are nothing like what the word means but choose to dress a certain way. Although I do understand why its used I just dont like it.

Hom3r
09-03-2009, 18:41
We have three Tesco stores in our town (Harlow) all staff are always courteous and busy.

ZrByte
09-03-2009, 18:44
Happens all over, LemonyBrainAids example of sainsburys certainly doesn't hold true across all of their stores either.

Sometimes its bad management at the local level, sometimes at the national level. Sometimes its just a bad bunch of staff and other times its exaggeration and misinterpretation from customers.

An example of the latter was when I worked in asda I was accused of holding up the Queue while I served my Nan. This was the customers perspective of what I was doing, what I was actually doing was helping an old lady pack her bags whom I have never met before and never saw again, I even had the audacity to engage the nice old lady in conversation..... How dare I!!! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

We have one of the big Tesco's were I live with 2 floors. Its basically a hypermarket lol. The staff are all normally very friendly and always say hello and goodbye etc etc.

My cousin works there an tells me its run very strictly with team meeting etc etc all the time. Maybe your just unlucky and your store is run by a manager who just cant be arsed.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Really hate the use of the word chavvy. Its often put on people who are nothing like what the word means but choose to dress a certain way. Although I do understand why its used I just dont like it.

Would that be the bidston store? Have to admit I always get a good service there, just a shame about the area its in.

icestar2
09-03-2009, 18:53
Happens all over, LemonyBrainAids example of sainsburys certainly doesn't hold true across all of their stores either.

Sometimes its bad management at the local level, sometimes at the national level. Sometimes its just a bad bunch of staff and other times its exaggeration and misinterpretation from customers.

An example of the latter was when I worked in asda I was accused of holding up the Queue while I served my Nan. This was the customers perspective of what I was doing, what I was actually doing was helping an old lady pack her bags whom I have never met before and never saw again, I even had the audacity to engage the nice old lady in conversation..... How dare I!!! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Would that be the bidston store? Have to admit I always get a good service there, just a shame about the area its in.

That would be correct. Its always packed. In the ideal place really as they have all the traffic from the motorway passing them. Very busy store.

lucy7
09-03-2009, 20:41
Right, my 2 local Tesco Expresses are completely different.
Both are about 2 miles away, but the nearest little store if we run out of stuff.

One is we think, family run, have respect for each other, and all that they serve.
Wear the uniform, the store is clean and tidy, no mobile phones on the shop floor, and are polite and friendly at all times.

The other is, even though fairly new, shabby, not well stocked at times, non-continuity of staff, too much chatting and not enough staffing at tills, uniform not looking good, and general lack of standards all round.

Two different examples, in a fairly close area.

papa smurf
09-03-2009, 21:24
my tesco express is 200 mtrs away lovely staff and polite security chaps on the door
its a bit wild west around here, my only gripe is what they stock mostly one person microwave meals [lot of singles in flats around here who obviously cant cook and have no taste buds]

fireman328
09-03-2009, 22:46
my tesco express is 200 mtrs away lovely staff and polite security chaps on the door
its a bit wild west around here, my only gripe is what they stock mostly one person microwave meals [lot of singles in flats around here who obviously cant cook and have no taste buds]

Nothing wrong with that

AdamD
10-03-2009, 03:41

Heh it's not all bad
Tescos' Finest microwaveable lasagne is awesome :P

But yea, I was surprised to see the flourescent pink mohawk yesterday.
They should rename it "Tesco Express (Redneck edition)"
:D

Nidge
10-03-2009, 16:24

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

If I am right, I will continue!!!!!;)

I don't think they are to be honest, they offer you clubcard points so I doubt they'll be Franchise run. Some Tesco Express stores round here run an ESSO petrol franchise but that's about it. Spar, Londis and Costcutter are run on a franchise basis.

Graham M
10-03-2009, 16:26

No they're owned and run by Tesco and subject to the same rules and regs as big stores

Nidge
10-03-2009, 16:28

I think TESCO and ASDA employ some people from the bottom end of the social scale, TESCO and ASDA round our way employ some right reprobates while Morrisions and Sainsburys employ well turned out employees.

ZrByte
10-03-2009, 19:08
I think TESCO and ASDA employ some people from the bottom end of the social scale, TESCO and ASDA round our way employ some right reprobates while Morrisions and Sainsburys employ well turned out employees.

Having shopped in both and worked in one I can tell you that is total rubbish. They all employ reprobates and they all employ well turned out employees, its just the ratio that differs from place to place.
And nobody from the upper end of the social scale would normally be found working for NMW anyway so I think its kind of a pointless statement as its obvious people from the mid to lower end of the scale are the types likely to be found working there.
Infact while I think about it what does social standing have to do with it anyway?

Will21st
12-03-2009, 19:17
Nidge is a sno-ob,na na na na na na!! :p::D

AdamD
21-03-2009, 18:52
Well I went in to the store last night to pick up some tuna for a tuna pasta bake I make, I can only assume the staff were never briefed on health and safety procedures, but two isles were littered with cardboard packing boxes and transparent plastic film stuff.

I swear it's like redneck land going in this store. hehe

Maggy
21-03-2009, 19:02
I'm rather impressed by Asda's hiring policy.

They actually employ everyone and it's refreshing to see an equal opportunities employer who doesn't let uniform sizing dictate whom they employ.

Tall,short,fat,skinny,young,elderly,attractive,pla in,disabled,all nationalities are accepted and men and women each seem to be employed 50/50 %.

The one thing they all have in common however is that they are efficient,helpful,polite and very friendly.They help to make a weekly chore more bearable.;)