PDA

View Full Version : Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

JonathanCassar
09-03-2009, 16:58
Hi,
Dispite there being various CATV covers in the street & Cable and Wirless Cabinets etc Virgin Media have no coverage in my area dispite it being recently built and high density housing in the main.

I've emailed virgin about this and got their usual stock answer about cable being expensive etc to lay and completely ignored my point that CATV cabinets etc and manhole covers are present in the area.

on the samknows website it says yes to cable (even though virgin says no to various postcodes in the area)

I'm not expecting this to change anytime soon but would love to know WHY when there appears to be infrastructure there is no cable services.

If anyone knows the reason please reply or if anyone a contact at virgin who could answer why theres no provision, would be appriciated.

Thanks

J

m419
09-03-2009, 17:15
Your better off telephoning Virgin Media,that website post code search engine gives far too much inaccurate.

Your area is in an ex-Bell Cable Media (Cable and Wireless/NTL) franchise, if you phone up Virgin Media on 0800-183-1234 free, tell them that there is an issue with recognising your address as being Cabled! Even if there is no Cable socket present they will provide a new connection.

JonathanCassar
09-03-2009, 18:28
will try that thanks

spiderplant
09-03-2009, 18:55
Bad news, I'm afraid.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/43996-isle-of-dogs.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=349679

JonathanCassar
10-03-2009, 05:21
that explains the CATV boxes and no cable!!

I searched Canary wharf and E14 - but not Isle of Dogs Typical!! strange thay didnt update it though as the area has a very high concentration of riverside apartments and (not so) rich bankers etc!

m419
10-03-2009, 11:16
Well I know someone that lives round there and they have phone and broadband. Give them a call anyway! That news sounds old,NTL said the same about the Westminster area,next minute,I see them offering Cable Broadband!

JonathanCassar
10-03-2009, 11:51
is there a good coverage map anywhere as im really confused now!!
are there any forum members in the E14 (island gardens area) that has Cable BB?

Thanks

m419
10-03-2009, 14:03
Thats what I was looking for too,because a friend of mine needs to know what streets are covered by the network covering Westminster, and not all of the borough is covered and some streets are no longer able to because of redevelopment.

m419
10-03-2009, 21:01
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

Fill in that form and Virgin Media will investigate it for you.

moneyballs2
06-04-2009, 23:13
Apparently NTL (Now Virgin Media) started off their services on the Isle of Dogs!

I've been waiting for 3 years for them to come back, the BT wiring on the Isle of Dogs sucks. I can see Canary Wharf from my window, and still I can't get a broadband connection that downloads faster than 50kb/s.

Not to mention the poor souls that live on the Eastern side of Manchester Road! They can't get any broadband services full stop the wiring is so bad.

The fact Virgin Media isn't available on the Isle of Dogs is sad, and to rub salt in the wounds every bill board on the Isle of Dogs seems to be displaying adverts for Virgin Media's super fast broadband. A sign of things to come? I bloody hope so!

I've used that form m419 posted (above) and hopefully I'll get a positive result. Not holding my breath though... I emailed them about 2 years ago asking why it wasn't available and they just mirrored what I said in my email saying "Sorry the service is not available in your area."

I was told by a friend that Virgin Media were laying cables along Eastferry Road, contractors were Beach (or Beech) a few months ago, and have seen a lot of road works all laying wires, but I think it's more for the new buildings being built... They had signs saying that they were working on behalf of Virgin Media I believe...

I also think that some people towards the West of the Isle of Dogs are activated, I've tried a few postcodes and did find one once that was activated, I have since forgotten exactly where, but am in the process of trying to find out.

As you can see, from all that I have typed, I've been waiting for this for a long long time and have spies around the Isle of Dogs looking out for it! I am sick of BT connections being dirt slow and getting a broadband connection that only people in the countryside get. I'm in London and can't even get proper broadband.

/rant, much...

weesteev
06-04-2009, 23:22
Isle of dogs is a tricky area. The previous posts about NTL turning off the network there is "semi correct" to this day. Virgin Media dont take new installs there and have no digital capabilities. IOD was supplied by analogue TV and telephone services (think Southampton, Slough) but was never upgraded but written off. Its very unlikely that Virgin will ever upgrade that area but no doubt let people slowly make the switch to other providers then eventually switch it off completely.

The wiring issue on IOD is similair to the issue in Hull (from what i remember). Lots of aluminium cables fitted by BT which make them totally unsuitable for broadband, the bigger problem being there is no HFC network suitable for broadband either (at least Hull had Kingston to make up for the lack of decent BT service).

Basically, your stuffed. Not a great position to be in 2009 in the centre of London, but this has been a bone of contention for some time now. As soon as there is any change to Virgins "new build" policy then it will be up on this forum so worth while staying tuned (albeit on the edge of your seat).

Keep us posted on your progress though, always interesting to see how these pan out.

JonathanCassar
10-06-2009, 09:29
I just don't get why in an area on very high density population of fairly affluent people there is no cable - its not just broadband but TV where Virgin would gain income

Also the IOD is a peninsular so surely you could lay cable on the Thames bank enabling all the riverside developments to be wired up

My development alone has over a 1000 people and many I know would sign up on virgin just to get away from 2MB/s

So multiply that up and there's definitely a market.

Also my building is prewired for cable! (There's a coax type cable with phone cable attached in my wall) so they would only have to wire to the building.

I realise this riverside idea would only help some people on the IOD but it seems a start to build from at least.

Just my $0.02

m419
10-06-2009, 16:22
The network exists around Canaray Wharf,However,NTL pulled out of residential services and the housing estates for some reason. Apparently the cost of upgrading the network for Digital TV would be costly.

I know for a fact that Virgin/NTL Telewest Business phone is still active in that area,perhaps its for the existing businesses.

What I suggest you do, is write to Virgin Media together with a sort of petition of all the residents and also businesses that want Virgin Media services, Virgin Media will be particularly interested in those taking all 3 services.

With regards to your property already having coax cable fitted,that is probably for a communal satellite dish or aerial. However it doesn't cost much to cable a building,it's expensive when they have to dig up and lay cable.

So what I suggest you do now, is write to Virgin Media with your ideas and don't forget to include a list of all those wanting Virgin Media.

JonathanCassar
10-06-2009, 16:39
They dont seem to be seeking new business though

My friends address that has a disused cable point at his front door comes up as unavailable!!

We have seperate cabling for SAT/aerial this is definately cable cable (its coax +twised pair in one)

Just curious how many yes's would be viable? 100's or thousands??

m419
10-06-2009, 18:50
Well the best you can do is just have a go also inform them how poor BT Broadband and how poor BT's cabling is in this area.

timmymaclean
10-06-2009, 22:18
Without wishing to sound ungrateful as I actually live off Manchester Road and do get Virgin broadband. It is not much cop I am afraid. Barring the issues reported by the previous posters the poplar exchange is stacked and is not due for an upgrade until mid next year. I get about 1Mb down at normal times. It seemed pretty strange to me also. As far as I know the commercial stuff goes through poplar also.

JonathanCassar
12-06-2009, 10:24
virgin must have dont a survey at some point and decided that £X to upgrade is more expensive that £Y income x Z years who makes those infrastructure decisions?

JonathanCassar
12-06-2009, 14:11
I got frustrated so emailed Neil Berkett. Lets see if that gets a more considered response!

moneyballs2
12-06-2009, 17:46
Hopefully you'll get a good response JohnathenCassar. Although this is highly unlikely.

I've noticed that the BT broadband speeds and connection is getting worse for both me and my friends on the Isle of Dogs, Virgin Media would solve this problem, the demand is there, I just hope they supply, and fast!

:confused:

Also, Timmymaclean are you referring to Virgin Media services being delivered down a BT phone line? As that will still be poor too, the cable service offered by Virgin Media is what we want :)

Arthurgray50@blu
12-06-2009, 18:00
I think a major problem with this, is probabely down to the legal stuff, I know that VM have now taken over NTL, but it could be that there is a clause in the contract, over installing cable, as l cannot understand why if, VM have a cable BB, why they cannot run the Tv as well, I know Canary Wharf very well and VM can make a fortune out of it, the best thing l would do, would be get Sky.

virgin_tech
12-06-2009, 21:13
I think a major problem with this, is probabely down to the legal stuff, I know that VM have now taken over NTL, but it could be that there is a clause in the contract, over installing cable, as l cannot understand why if, VM have a cable BB, why they cannot run the Tv as well, I know Canary Wharf very well and VM can make a fortune out of it, the best thing l would do, would be get Sky.

""I know that VM have now taken over NTL""

the company called virgin media IS! NTL always has and always will be. Virgin media is a cover for a *!@* company called NTL

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

sorry had a bad day.... and just venting anger :)

Arthurgray50@blu
12-06-2009, 21:33
Virgin Tech, I quite understand if you work for a @@Z@ company.

nfs6600
12-06-2009, 21:51
Virgin Tech, I quite understand if you work for a @@Z@ company.

Arthur...please!!! :mad:

And what would going to sky do to resolve to issue? The broadband would still go through a BT line. Answer, it wouldn't resolve the issue at all :td:

Arthurgray50@blu
12-06-2009, 22:19
I suggest you calm down and take a tablet, or you will blow a blood vessel

nfs6600
12-06-2009, 22:32
I'm having a beer thanks, better than any tablets :D

JonathanCassar
17-06-2009, 10:58
well i think the point here is that in a densely populated part of london you should get a choice - not just sky/dsl

I still havent heard from VM although Neil Berkett forwarded my mail to head of customer services and head of broadband so we'll see...........

m419
17-06-2009, 12:49
It was originally BellCable Media and then Cable and Wireless,then NTL and Now Virgin Media in that area, The borough of Newham is apparently one of the poorest in the UK,maybe its due to low spending customers???

Also,some Analogue only areas still provide Broadband,I don't understand why they don't just keep it as that for a while until they feel the need to upgrade the Canary wharf area to Digital.

I mean some people are happy with just Analogue cable, although they reducing channels month by month.

I think these channels remain on Virgin Analogue:

BBC1
BBC2
ITV1
Channel 4
Channel 5
ITV2
Sky1
Sky News
Hallmark
Living
Challenge TV (Telewest areas only)
Virgin 1
BBC News 24
BBC Parliament
Disney Channel
Nickelodeon
Cartoon Network
QVC
Eurosport
4 Music
Film4
Movies 24
MTV One
Discovery Channel
Hellenic TV (Telewest Cable London franchise only)
Television X
Adult Channel

And I think you maybe able to get G.o.l.d,Watch and Dave too.

Sky Sports was removed earlier this month and Sky Movies was removed a few years ago. Front Row was removed in 2006.

Hellenic TV is a greek channel and its available on Analogue in North London only as a premium channel.

Arthurgray50@blu
17-06-2009, 17:03
No matter how poor you are, you should still be entitled to obtain goods, it reminds me of a certain electrical company, won't take customers from an area of West London, as they believe they are bad debtors.

m419
17-06-2009, 17:36
Really! EDF and Npower are the UK's biggest rogue traders, remember how EDF used the Virgin brand? Well the EDF sales reps signed on dead people to gain commision and lock properties onto EDF. These sales reps where caught in the act in a North London library. They also said to customers that they could get discounts at Virgin Megastores ect.... Therefore when Richard Branson found out, he decided to move away from EDF.

I think they should re-launch Virgin Energy as joint venture between Virgin Media and a energy company like E-On or Npower who are also NTL Telewest business customers. Virgin Media would be the first company to offer TV,Internet,Telephone,Mobile,Gas,Electricity and additional energy services.

Hugh
17-06-2009, 19:51
No matter how poor you are, you should still be entitled to obtain goods, it reminds me of a certain electrical company, won't take customers from an area of West London, as they believe they are bad debtors.
So let me get this straight - you think that companies should take on people with a history of bad debt, who may default, thus driving up the prices for non-defaulting customers?

Arthurgray50@blu
17-06-2009, 20:25
Hi.Foreverwar, Have you heard the phrase ' don't tar me with the same brush' , you know that when a customer goes into a credit agreement, they will be checked out, and if ok they get credit, If not they don't get it, In a certain area of London, they have all been barred by an electrical company, what l am saying is that NOT everyone has a bad debt problem.

Hugh
17-06-2009, 22:24
Name and shame, Arthur - name and shame.

I have worked with credit rating companies, and whilst living in different areas affects one's credit ratings, there are no "blanket bans" on certain areas.

If you are stating that a electrical goods supplier is doing that, I would be surprised, as most of the Currys/Comet/etc don't actually supply credit, they outsource that to a third-party, such as Lombard Finance, HFC or GE Credit, who are the ones who do the credit checking.

Arthurgray50@blu
18-06-2009, 20:19
Hi Foreverwar, l can assue you, that a company, you have mention did do that in a certain area of London.

My brother used to live in West London, and he actually went into this shop and as soon as he mentioned where he lived, the saleman told him, he wouldn't get the goods, as the area was a blacklist for credit.:)

Hugh
18-06-2009, 21:17
Name and shame, Arthur - otherwise, it's just hearsay. And as I stated earlier, the stores don't give credit, they outsource that to Consumer Finance Companies, who then check an individual's credit rating.

btw, West London is a biiiiig area - which part of West London, and how long ago was this?

JonathanCassar
09-07-2009, 16:12
Getting back on topic I did after a few weeks get a response from virgin media!

basically no plans to do anything in the short medium term but they are looking at feasibility (should know by the end of august) so I'll chase again then!!

Even BT seem to be upgrading FTTC in london everywhere but canary wharf!

See Here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/09/bt_upgrade_schedule/)

Ignitionnet
09-07-2009, 18:33
Getting back on topic I did after a few weeks get a response from virgin media!

basically no plans to do anything in the short medium term but they are looking at feasibility (should know by the end of august) so I'll chase again then!!

Even BT seem to be upgrading FTTC in london everywhere but canary wharf!

See Here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/09/bt_upgrade_schedule/)

The exchanges in London being done so far are a fraction of the total - there are 188 exchanges in the London area. I would check which exchange you are actually on though the Canary Wharf exchange itself serves a very small amount of premises, sure you aren't on Poplar?

Issue with the IoD lines is that they are homed at Poplar which can make them very long. Keep an eye out for Poplar having FTTC deployed, it's likely to be sooner rather than later as the Poplar exchange is totally and utterly full. There are next to no free DSL ports there so the relief provided by FTTC would be welcomed.

JonathanCassar
13-10-2009, 10:10
Got an update from virgin, it seems FTTC may be here first at this rate!

RE: Canary Wharf & Virgin Media service?
Hi Jonathan

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately this area does not form part of our short to medium term plans for 2009-2010. If an upgrade becomes available in this area please be assured that we will let you know in advance.

My apologies once again and many thanks for your interest in our Services.

This was in relation to IOD as im on the poplar exchange

moneyballs2
27-01-2010, 22:23
Got an update from virgin, it seems FTTC may be here first at this rate!

This was in relation to IOD as im on the poplar exchange
Have you had any further response JonathanCassar?

I learnt today that BT are offering their new service 'BT Infinity' which is their fibre to the cabinet program, wasn't really any point me checking my postcode as it there would be no way it would be here.. I did though, and it isn't, and neither is BT broadband fullstop.

How can this company possibly get aware with not providing Broadband to the Isle of Dogs, so many people aching for decent broadband, a friend of mine that lives in the middle of nowhere has a better connection than I do...

JonathanCassar
28-01-2010, 14:35
Have you had any further response JonathanCassar?
Hi,
I asked David Campbell, (MD, Next Generation Access Openreach) given the proximity of the IOD to the Olympics if the network would be upgraded by 2012?

Response:

I can tell you that Poplar is not currently on our announced roll-out plan. However, it is fair to say that Poplar is the sort of area we could see on the plan in future phases.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than this at the moment but please keep an eye out for future announcements.

The Isle of Dogs is also not on virgins plans for roll-out :(
Virgin currently have no plans to enhance the limited analogue presence

Jonathan

m419
30-01-2010, 17:07
Thats really strange of Virgin Media/NTL as there are loads of businesses in this area using the telephone service.

In fact, NTL forced residential customers off. Yet they are still serving the rest of Tower Hamlets and Newham! Very strange!

JonathanCassar
01-02-2010, 11:36
Well I'd signup with anyone who could offer a fast service and doubt im alone given the demographics of E14

JonathanCassar
12-03-2010, 16:24
Latest From Virgin - No love in 2010:

I note from your address that you are in an analogue service area. There are several pockets of legacy network areas where this is the case. In Q4 2009, Virgin Media began a programme of converting analogue areas to fully digitally serviceable areas. Bolton and Leicester were the first areas in late 2009 to go through this upgrade. The company has a programme of activity agreed for 2010 but unfortunately E14 and surrounding areas are not part of this year's build plans.

Jonathan

m419
16-03-2010, 20:10
Canary Wharf will be just Telephone and Analogue TV for now, and then when Analogue is switched off, will just carry BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,Channel 4 and Five until 2012.

I know that some businesses use the telephone service, I think it is daft not to upgrade this area.

Other areas which may never be upgraded:

Queens Park
Kilburn(Westminster part not Brent or Camden streets)
Lisson Grove
Marylebone
Mayfair
Pimlico
Victoria
Paddington
Great Portland Street/Portland place/Cleveland Street
Edgware Road
Piccadilly
Charing Cross Road/Strand

All above are in the Borough of Westminster.

Broadband is available to some of the above areas however you need to call 0800-952-0345 to find out what exactly is available. The Virgin Media website may well say you are not in a Cabled area and will offer Virgin National services instead.

This area is an ex-BT Cable franchise, Videotron and Cable and Wireless offered the Telephone service as a stand alone product this area however, I think it may now be available to pre-january 2000 Residential customers and Business customers only. As BT prohibited NTL offering this as part of the lease of its Cable network.

JonathanCassar
17-03-2010, 08:41
Virgin have offered the national service but that uses ADSL.
My issue is that im so far from the exchange I need fibre to avoid signal degradation that occurs over copper. There are many others in the same boat so its annoying that no one even has plans to offer fibre in one of the most expensive areas in East London

Horizon
23-03-2010, 02:11
....and just like Westminster, also one of the most sensitive areas in the country too. Even when I briefly worked at Encom, which was the original cableco which cabled up East London, CW was an iffy area. And there sure weren't any skyscrapers or Waitrose shops around then!

To be blunt, I don't think you're going to see any progress on this, if at all, for a long time. The reasons why the area can't be re-cabled just don't add up to me....

It's even more bizarre considering cw has probably more fibre optic cable per square metre than any other area in the UK. And nearby you have the London Teleport and other telco related installations too.

I would write to your MP on it, don't hold your breath waiting for BT or VM to do something. A kick is required here, me thinks.

m419
23-03-2010, 14:51
The business district of Canary Wharf is covered by:

Verizon Business (Formerly MCI Worldcom) has its own phone lines and network infrastructure also working its way around the UK and Europe.

Colt (City of London Telecom) also has its own phone lines and network infrastructure and also working its way around the UK and Europe but has a smaller coverage than Verizon.

Cable and Wireless infrastructures which consist of Mercury(Orginal Cable and Wireless network)Energis and Thus which were acquired by Cable and Wireless over the past few years, they are the largest out of the above 2, and cover most of the world,Cable and Wireless shows businesses that it is able to offer an internation presence.

All of the above are able to offer decent internet speeds ect... through there own networks without the need of BT and Virgin Media.

Virgin Media still offer its telephone service in this area to businesses, it is not impossible to offer ADSL and IPTV over its telephone network, the original Cable TV cabling remains and the network just needs upgrading, a few streets would need digging up for new builds, there is a small housing estate nearby which featured in the papers about NTL pulling out and offering residents aerials ect.... however some contractor was called by someone else and installed satellite dishes without notifying residents in shoddy state, with a high penetration level, i'm really suprised that NTL didn't upgrade this patch.

JonathanCassar
30-03-2010, 15:36
Well it seems Poplar is going to be updated 30th Sep 2010 Yay :) http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/termsandconditions?docId=29318&pageTitle=BT Infinity Enablement Dates

Ironic as my phone line is no longer with BT

JonathanCassar
25-08-2010, 14:28
I just got an email from BT stating infinity will be in my area soon

My bet would be early next year though

davechaplin
26-08-2010, 13:18
I'm in E14, on a business broadband package which is supposed to be 8MB/s. We get 2.7MB/s. Spoke to BT at length today, and talked about the Poplar exchange issue etc. It gets upgraded on 31st August 2010 so people can get ADSL 2. They are going to wait for it to settle down and then do line tests for people to see what they can offer them. We will then change from the business package to ADSL2 if it works. Also, after spending about an hour speaking to people up to chain about how we are basically paying full price for a third of the service they suggested we pu in a formal complaint - to which some financial compensation might be offered. We'll see.

I used to live in Paris before moving back to E14. We got 28MB/s as standard over there. Uk broadband sucks.

JonathanCassar
26-08-2010, 13:25
Dave,
ADSL2 has been available for some time via other providers in E14

I have it with BE
Its only slightly better than ADSL if you are at the end of a long piece of copper
If you get 2.7MB/s now you might get 3 or there abouts with ADSL2

The technology that the Isle of Dogs needs is fibre which should be available by year end
This will be at least 20MB/s +

davechaplin
26-08-2010, 13:44
Jonathan, thanks for the info. We are in a river side building, built in 1990 (I think), so all the old phone wires are still used. Will the building need to be re-wired for fibre, or will it work by delivering the fibre to the green box outside then use existing phone cables? If the building needs fibre then I'll have to raise with the board.

JonathanCassar
26-08-2010, 14:19
BT will deliver fibre to the box outside yes and the last bit only is over copper - meaning 20MB/s +

They have stated however that a small number of homes wont be able to get this product! (although no one yet knows where these blackspots are)

JonathanCassar
01-10-2010, 17:23
An update to my last.

If you put your number (or postcode) here (http://www.bt.com/infinity) Where it says can I get infinity on the right

You will see its available (dec 31) or it wont be listed as a product

If its listed great! if not (like me) you'll be stuck with existing snail speeds for at least another 12 months

For people in this situation BT may offer another solution in a year - but this will depend on if they consider it commercially viable to update your line

So maybe good news in a year :)

Zaeni
06-10-2010, 09:25
@JonathanCassar

I've been following this thread for some time and it's given me more information than the bt "service" :rolleyes: reps

I'm wondering, do you mean they will list infinity in advance if they actually plan to have cable on your phone line? Even if infinity isn't available at the moment?

Because I'm wondering if I should just cancel my contract with BT(atm getting <1Mbps at peak periods) and go with another isp with LLU on the poplar exchange. (Although since i'm on the isle of dogs, i'm not sure how much of an improvement that will be during peak times. All i'm asking for is a consistent 1.5 Mbps to play my games with when i'm not working :dozey: )

JonathanCassar
06-10-2010, 10:11
Hi,
Correct if infinity is available to you in Dec it will be listed already on the checker.

In terms of improvement what speed does your line sync at now? This will determine your likely max speed with any provider regardless of congestion. (with ADSL/2 anyway) I've used Be for many years - but don't do online gaming so don't know if their speed is consistent for that activity (as I'm rarely home in the day!)

The IOD is particularly rubbish as most people have way too much copper from exchange to home for a decent connection I was hoping FTTC would alleviate this but it seems not everyone in the poplar exchange will be covered - me included :(

Zaeni
06-10-2010, 13:44
Router stats
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:24:54

Downstream 3,104 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.6 dB / 19.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 18.4 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 61778 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 0

Usually when i encounter massive latency increases (eg > 900ms, tested with pingtest.net) I reset my router and that helps a bit.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

So this article:

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/super_fast_broadband_to_be_enabled_on_isle_of_dogs _by_end_of_2010_1_614337#sharinganchor

is complete bull then?

weesteev
06-10-2010, 15:34
Router stats
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:24:54

Downstream 3,104 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.6 dB / 19.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 18.4 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 61778 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 0

Usually when i encounter massive latency increases (eg > 900ms, tested with pingtest.net) I reset my router and that helps a bit.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

So this article:

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/super_fast_broadband_to_be_enabled_on_isle_of_dogs _by_end_of_2010_1_614337#sharinganchor

is complete bull then?

What result do you get when searching with your postcode on the Infinity website, I was under the impression that all exchanges up till December 2011 have been loaded into their checker now so it should tell you when to expect service? If not then its not going to happen.

I may be wrong though...

:erm:

Zaeni
07-10-2010, 08:54
Basically, I only get the option for broadband (adsl) and not infinity.

JonathanCassar
15-09-2011, 11:32
Wow cant believe its been over two years since I started this thread

FTTC is now available on the Poplar exchange - although several developments including mine cant get it :(

Good news is though companies are starting to emerge that will gap fill BT coverage

My development has been surveyed and if all goes to plan will offer up to 1GB connections

The company is called hyperoptic - I have no connection to them except that I'll probably be a customer as soon as they cable me up

If you live in E14 in a development without FTTC maybe check them out?

Stutch
17-09-2011, 16:47
Wow cant believe its been over two years since I started this thread

FTTC is now available on the Poplar exchange - although several developments including mine cant get it :(

Good news is though companies are starting to emerge that will gap fill BT coverage

My development has been surveyed and if all goes to plan will offer up to 1GB connections

The company is called hyperoptic - I have no connection to them except that I'll probably be a customer as soon as they cable me up

If you live in E14 in a development without FTTC maybe check them out?

Thanks Jonathan. I contacted Hyperoptic today and registered an interest! I am hoping that the building I am in has the foresight to invest in this. Internet still terrible down here!

weesteev
18-09-2011, 20:57
Hyperoptic wont be FTTC it will be FTTB, they will need to fit a node in the building and use either an existing fibre network in the building (unlikely) or run their own. This would probably be through blown fibre microducts.

I doubt your building will have the provision for this service now and fitting it would be very costly.

More than likely it will be FTTC and you will get an up to 40Mbps VDSL service like BT infinity. Still better than ADSL!

Also might be useful to know that Hyperoptic are owned by BE Broadband.

Stuart
18-09-2011, 21:09
They aren't owned by BE. They were set up by two of the people who set up BE, then sold it to O2.

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 21:10
I just ejaculated.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

They aren't owned by BE. They were set up by two of the people who set up BE, then sold it to O2.
I just got blue balls.

Stutch
18-09-2011, 21:49
Hyperoptic wont be FTTC it will be FTTB, they will need to fit a node in the building and use either an existing fibre network in the building (unlikely) or run their own. This would probably be through blown fibre microducts.

I doubt your building will have the provision for this service now and fitting it would be very costly.

More than likely it will be FTTC and you will get an up to 40Mbps VDSL service like BT infinity. Still better than ADSL!

Thanks for that. After speaking to them on the phone, they didn't seem to keen on providing it to a building unless they had 50+ customers.

The building I am in is fairly new but not sure they will allow FTTB as there is a contract with Sky (for TV and I *think* internet). I will even be happy for FTTC since currently you get about 2Mbps here.

Unfortunately, either way, the rollout seems like it will be slow and a low chance of either FTTC or FTTB at my location for another 6months minimum :(

I also called BT re:Infinity on Friday and they said no plans and no ETA or anything nor Option 3 with fibre. Just regular broadband.